Anybody want a free dog

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad's chiuhauha has been barking nonstop for the last hour. She is driving me crazy. She does this on a regular occasion and its nerve racking I love Tiny but she is such a yappy little dog. And he doesn't do much to stop her from this behavior and won't let anyone do much about it other than to tell her to shut up and that works for about five minutes.
I would never actually give her away but does anyone want her voice atleast.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy some binaca mouth spray. When she barks squirt just a tiny bit in her mouth then walk away. Learned that from a dog groomer

Or buy one of those marrow bones, the ones that are hollow inside? Fill the inside (pack it with peanut butter) then freeze it. Give it to her- it will keep her busy for awhile and stop her yapping.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Duct tape fixes anything!
Many people actually do that to their dogs before they are caught (if they ever are) and the dog is taken from them. I saw photos on the dog site that I am on of a beautiful elderly German Shepherd, who, amongst other physical signs of abuse, had a scar around her muzzle from something that had been used to keep her mouth shut (I assume from barking). It was thin and looked like she'd had a cord tied tight enough around her muzzle, for long enough, that it permanently wore away the hair and left a scar. So sad for the beautiful girl.

When a dog has their mouth forcefully shut, they cannot pant, and therefore they can die from overheating. It's an awful thing to do to a dog.

I know you were only joking - of course! - but it reminded me of that poor sweet girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Or buy one of those marrow bones, the ones that are hollow inside? Fill the inside (pack it with peanut butter) then freeze it. Give it to her- it will keep her busy for awhile and stop her yapping.
You don't know this dog that well my dad has her so spoiled when she eats treats he breaks them into little pieces for her and she has to eat them while in his lap and he even has to tear hot dogs into little bitty pieces for her. And bones cause fights in my house so I don't get them very often. Cause my dog Lilly will steal them and hide them and then I go to bed and find them hidden in my bed or sometimes she will try to hide them in the silliest places. When I lived with my mom she would try to hide her bones in the bricks of the fireplace. So we don't buy bones very often. Cause even when Lilly doesn't steal them every time her or Macy walks by dad's chair, which is Tiny's chair, she charges at them and Lilly has gotten to the point that she will fight back and then my dad scolds Lilly and I don't think its fair to Lilly.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Little dogs like chawawahs can be messed up but its our fault not theres like with pit bull aggression, They can become very nice it depends on how your treat them. If you cuddle it like a little baby/put clothes on it and see it as human the dog is going to go nuts.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/agree.gif Dogs need to be dogs lighten up with them as babies and they wont do stuff like bark and be vicious

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
barking is difficult to stop but it can be done. First off, why is she barking? Does she want attention, is she bored, does she do it only when people come to the door, is she tied outside, or does she just do it all the time? All these things are important to know. For just general barking I'll tell you what I can. You'll need to teach her both the bark command and the quiet command. First you'll need to know of one thing that makes he bark (like the door bell). Say "bark" then do whatever makes he bark then say good dog! (no treats though). Then say "quiet" and stick a piece of yummy food (like sliced hot dog) in front of her nose so she starts sniffing and stops barking (they can't do both at the same time). As she is sniffing say she is sooooo goood, and then after a few seconds of that , give her the treat. Do this three times or so, and then make the treat less and less visible. Hold it further away and eventually behind your back. Make sure you always say bark before the thing that makes her bark and only give the treat if she stays quiet. Once she can be quiet on command with the treat behind your back for 3-5 seconds at a time for a few times you can then start making her do it longer and longer (not all in one session but over a few days or weeks) Once she will stop entirely for you without a visible treat (you still give him a treat even though you don't show it first) and he will bark on command, then he understands the commands. You will also want to work on using the commands at different distances from the dog (don't do this until he will do them without first seeing the treats and until he can hold the quiet for a long period) Give the commands at different distances and then in different positions (sitting in a chair,lying on the ground, behind the dog and what ever else you can think of.) Then once you can do this reliably you can start with real life situations (when a person actually comes to the door, when you are playing a game that riles him up).

If he does bark while you play with him, that is easy to solve, simply say "to bad" when he barks, get up take the toy and leave. He will learn when he barks during a game the game ends.

He also probably barks for attention which I'm sure you end up giving. By yelling "Shut up" at the dog, she thinks look I got her to pay attention to me, cool! Or you may poke her to startle her into stopping or just pay any attention whether positive or negative and she will continue. You must get up leave the room and leave her all by herself. If she stops get up and enter the room immediately giving her lots of love and also some treats, if she starts to bark, even once, then get up and leave again.

This will take time and mostly patience but if you really want her to stop then she needs training. I don't like the sort of stuff where you scare them into being quiet (spraying them or those collars with water of citronella) because firstly they can learn the difference between that collar and their normal collar and they will learn that the spry bottle thing only happens when your around so they will still bark when you are in a different room. And secondly because sometimes you want the dog to bark, like when an intruder is breaking in, your house is on fire, some strange people are in your yard in the middle of the night, there is a strange animal outside and other things. But by scaring them into never barking then they will do just that NEVER bark, because they are scared. Like lots of people punish their dog for growling. This is how a dog tells you stop what you're doing or I'm gonna bite. By punishing the growling behavior you are not somehow fixing the fact that whatever was making the dog uncomfortable now does not make him uncomfortable. It's just now when he is feeling threatened he will skip the growl and just bite the person, punishing the behavior solves nothing. Good Luck! and don't give up! If you need anymore training help, please ask.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

You don't know this dog that well my dad has her so spoiled when she eats treats he breaks them into little pieces for her and she has to eat them while in his lap and he even has to tear hot dogs into little bitty pieces for her. And bones cause fights in my house so I don't get them very often. Cause my dog Lilly will steal them and hide them and then I go to bed and find them hidden in my bed or sometimes she will try to hide them in the silliest places. When I lived with my mom she would try to hide her bones in the bricks of the fireplace. So we don't buy bones very often. Cause even when Lilly doesn't steal them every time her or Macy walks by dad's chair, which is Tiny's chair, she charges at them and Lilly has gotten to the point that she will fight back and then my dad scolds Lilly and I don't think its fair to Lilly.
I did the same thing with my beloved Sambo, we always cut his food and treats up in little pieces, I guess I didn't want him getting choked.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny mostly barks when the other dogs are outside playing she isn't allowed to play with the bigger dogs and neither is Lilly, well other than Macy but she is gentle with them. But Tiny will run out and bite the outside dogs if we let her go outside when they are playing and this is a very bad thing because neither of our outside dogs will tolorate this behavior. And so its a safety matter. Tiny also barks if dad leaves the house and then she finally hushes or if we are trying to feed the two outsde dog she goes nuts. Once in a while she barks when people pull up but mostly if the other dogs bark. And it doesn't matter if we are in the living room or not she still barks and she barks so much that she spins around in a circle and bounces up and down on her front legs.

Dad started tearing her food up when she was little because even now she can't get her mouth around even a half of a hotdog and dad was scared she would get choked. Although he finally stopped giving her table food thank goodness. I will try the training methods with her but not sure how it will work because of the interference from the other dogs. And the main reason she barks is when they are playing or moving around outside. She even gets upset when the chickens get to laying eggs.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what are the outside dogs for, are you on a farm or something and need flock guardians? Well a great training book is called "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and that should teach you a lot. It also talks about how a dog thinks which very few people understand. Dogs don't really want to please you, they are selfish, unknowingly and innocently selfish. In the wild that is what they must be to survive, therefore they do what reaps the biggest benefit for them (mmmm...food) they do what works. If barking gets them the satisfaction of barking (and yes they really enjoy it) and they feel they are protecting the house they will continue doing it unless a different behavior (not barking) gets them more satisfaction (yummy hot dog and liver treats). that is why when he is barking and stops he should get a treat right away, so he learns when he barks it's OK but when I don't bark all this great stuff happens with this food and attention and maybe even a fun game but when I start barking again it all ends. See it's simple. Good Luck, if you have anymore questions just ask

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

Dogs don't really want to please you, they are selfish, unknowingly and innocently selfish. In the wild that is what they must be to survive, therefore they do what reaps the biggest benefit for them (mmmm...food) they do what works.
But if you are the alpha, they do want to please you and will die trying to do so. I have to go an alternative route here and recommend The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. A gentle approach that uses dogs natural instincts to curb inappropriate behaviors.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But if you are the alpha, they do want to please you and will die trying to do so.
Well there is some truth to that, they will learn when you are happy then good things happen to them, so they will want to make you happy. I don't know if alpha is the right word, you should be their leader, but you are not a dog there is not really an alpha you are a leader. The only reason I don't really like the word alpha is it gets people thinking about dominance. people tie everything to dominance (pulling on the leash, jumping up, guarding and not listening in general) It has nothing to do with the dog being dominant, they do what works, he pulls on the leash to go faster and simply because he sees no reason not to, with jumping up he wants to see your face, interacting with the face is a normal dog greeting in the wild, they guard because they have learned that if they do not then they get whatever they are guarding taken away but when they do guard you jump back and I keep my object. SO instead of hoping the dog just wants to make you happy you need to make him happy when he does the right behavior. Make the right behavior MUCH better than the wrong one. So when a dog barks and you start yelling at him in your weird language that he does not understand, he either just does not understand what you want from him or he does not think stopping is more rewarding than continuing. You must change his mind, get him to think, yeah barking fun but not barking gets me food. eventually a dog will want to make you happy, once he figures out that by making you happy you give him treats and attention while not making you happy gets him nothing, so yeah in a way they want to make you happy, but mostly because that gets them the most benefits. This is simply what makes the most sense to me and is based on my opinion and that of others along with the book I mentioned before. Everyone thinks differently but I just believe it makes the most sense that a dog although he loves his people and will protect them will not change the behaviors that are rewarding simply because you want him too, there must be something in it for him.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we live on a farm our outside dogs were livestock guardians uptil last spring when we sold the cows and then we sold most of the farm due to my dad's health not being what it used to be. And I would bring them in except this is my dad's house and he says no. He was raised with dogs outside only. He accepts that Macy, and Tiny, and Lilly have to be inside due to having short hair and because Tiny and Lilly are small dogs and shorthaired but he doesn't like it the only dog he really wants inside is Tiny. And he's bullheaded as they come and there is no convincing him otherwise and so the best I can do as manage them as best as I can they are in a fenced yard so they have freedom of movement in the yard and they get plenty of food and water he even put a couch and a chair out there on the front porch for them and they have shelter and we love on them every day. And Lady my old border collie shep mix is the best trained dog I have ever had. The biggest reason she barks is because we have a coyote problem and she was raised to keep them back so I don't mind her barking. Its just Tiny barks for the heck of it even when the coyotes are quiet.