Carrier Size

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering how big your pet carriers are in relation to the size of your cat. I just bought 2 new carriers for the kits. The ones I had were either too big (large enough for 3 cats probably) and one that's soo small they would be pinned between the top & bottom. The ones I just bought are the sof sided kind and are big enough for each cat to lay comfortable inside. They can't stand and turring around is a squeeze. Is that too small? Or is it ok to minamize their movement? They never travel longer than an hour at a time in them and usually even that is longer that usual.

Anyway, here's them and the new carriers that came UPS today.

Frankie was so excited she even said hello to the UPS guy at the door. I put the box down and she had to check the shipping label to make sure everything was in order.

Ok meowmy... lets open it.

After I baited the carriers with cat nip they couldn't wait to check them out.

Hey, stay away from my nip!

Maybe f I turn around I can keep an eye on him

Hmm... I wonder if her nip's any better?!

So, after seeing how they fit... do you think they are too small?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wickett looks a little large for the carrier in that shot of him going for the catnip next to Frankie. But that could just be his furr.
I never know about carrier sizes. I have the hard plastic ones and the cats seem to slide around in them like dead weights. So perhaps less space is better.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i need some of those! they look much handier than the ones I got..where did ou buy those?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look fine. And I have a carrier like that too. Trust me, you'll praise the creator of them for the handy shoulder strap as well as the top load feature.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

Wickett looks a little large for the carrier in that shot of him going for the catnip next to Frankie. But that could just be his furr.
I never know about carrier sizes. I have the hard plastic ones and the cats seem to slide around in them like dead weights. So perhaps less space is better.
Thats how it looks to me too!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats how finnegan fits into his and he's fine in it. I actually just got it out and he was laying in it tonight, vet trip tomorrow, uh oh. lol He should be fine.. Just a distemper shot, but boy he's probably going to be maaaad at me!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look fine, Wickett looks a little extra fluffy but I think it's all fur... As long as they are not squished and you are only useing them to transport to and from, it should be fine.. Less likely they will hurt them selves in a smaller space like that than one that is way too big for them that they can slide around in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my thinking. Wickett is bigger than Frankie but his fur can be decieving too. They'll only be in the carriers for trips to the vet and in case of an emergency.

I got them on amazon for a pretty decent price.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

After I baited the carriers with cat nip they couldn't wait to check them out.
That one is hilarious!

If they're still kittens, then you need bigger. Otherwise if they're adults, they'll be fine.

B didn't plan ahead 12 years ago with his cats, so they still have cat carriers the size for kittens (and 12 years later they're 3x the size they were as kittens)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both full grown... I hope! LOL

Frankie is 8 and a half so I know she won't get any bigger and Wickett is just over 2 years so he should be maxed out. I can't wait to get him to the vet to get a weight on him. I'm guessing 12-13 lbs.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are the same size as the ones I have for my two. I like that they can be easily folded and stored away.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a big selling point. I don't have room in out little townhouse to keep the plastic ones so if we have a fire or some other emergence all we could do is each grab a cat and hope they don't wiggle free. This way I cna fold them flat under a couch or bed and we have them if something does go wrong.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

That was my thinking. Wickett is bigger than Frankie but his fur can be decieving too. They'll only be in the carriers for trips to the vet and in case of an emergency.

I got them on amazon for a pretty decent price.
oh thanks! I need something I can store in my apartment as well..the plastic ones take too much room.