Do you get nervous...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
letting contractors or other people into your home when you're by yourself? My husband is working until 12 today, and Home Depot is coming between 10 and 12 to measure one of our rooms for new carpet. I know it's silly because it's something we've arranged, but I still wish they were coming in the afternoon when my husband would be home.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't bother me. I had 2 men fitting a new heating system on saturday along with 2 salesmen from 2 different window companies.

Do you work with the public at all because i find it helps your confidence.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nope, living by myself I don't have much choice, and i guess the way I look at it is they are paid employees of HD, the company knows that they are there, etc,etc, if they tried to pull something that would be the epitome of stupid, so I really wouldn't worry too much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It doesn't bother me. I had 2 men fitting a new heating system on saturday along with 2 salesmen from 2 different window companies.

Do you work with the public at all because i find it helps your confidence.
I do, but on the phone, not in person.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

nope, living by myself I don't have much choice, and i guess the way I look at it is they are paid employees of HD, the company knows that they are there, etc,etc, if they tried to pull something that would be the epitome of stupid, so I really wouldn't worry too much
That is true...I guess I am paranoid today.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

That is true...I guess I am paranoid today.
got any mace you could carry around in your pocket? that might help

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I'm never nervous, maybe I should be
Bella and I lived alone for a few years and we were basically out in the country with 1 neighbor and I was never afraid to be there alone or have people come work on the house.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

got any mace you could carry around in your pocket? that might help
Actually my dad gave me some...I think it's in my car. Okay now I've figured it out...he is the one who has made me this way! He just came over last week to install THIRD locks on all of our doors!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents just had some remodeling done on their house in regards to inside painting, new flooring etc.. and in order to get things done because my parents both work, they had to let the guys in the house to work while they were gone. THAT would make me nervous, that something would get stolen. I know that if something did, they'd be the prime suspects, so they'd probably know better, but you never know.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Actually my dad gave me some...I think it's in my car. Okay now I've figured it out...he is the one who has made me this way! He just came over last week to install THIRD locks on all of our doors!
Catfucious say: He who spends time with the pack, knows the nature of the pack better than you. Listen to him.

Yes, I'm nervous when contractors are in the house. Before anyone arrives, I secure the cats and make sure that door will not be opened. Otherwise, I always have my good friend Betsy (size 32) within reach. Very Texan, I know, and I'm not even from Texas.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only get nervous if the person/people that arrive there are creepy.

Usually though Home depot hire friendly people to go out to customers home, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with contractors so it doesn't bother me at all, I will admit however, that it bothers me to no end when i get people on the phone to schedule an appointment and they have to call back when they find someone to sit with them.

Most companies do thorough police checks on their workers and are bonded, and if they don't it is generally a company I wouldn't use anyway.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it. Im so glad John is here now. Before I was always terrified they would come in and rape and murder me. I dunno why but John makes it feel so muych safer.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't let anyone in the house by themselves... Have too many things go missing while we are here. Had a family member stealing things out of all of our familys bathrooms, now nothing gets left in there. (contact lenses, pills, money, etc!) Pretty bad when you can't trust anyone!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny, it's completely ok to be nervous! I get that way too and my DH IS one of those contractors that goes to people's houses while their DH's are at work!

I was nervous too when I had the gas guy come out to the house....here I am 5'2", what am I gonna do? I live near the woods, and I'm the end house, and my 1 neighbor is never home.... I am a worry wart too...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I get nervous!
I normally call someone to let them know when they have arrived, and call again when they leave. It wouldn't hurt for them to hear you on the phone telling someone "The guys from Home Depot are here right now".

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I never get nervous when I am by myself, but then I always tell them that Opie has never bit anyone before, so if he bites them, they will be the first.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay it turned out to be fine! It was actually a woman who came, who was very nice, and she even gave Emily a scratch and said she was gorgeous. Boy do I feel silly! Thanks everyone though!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Some self-defense classes will help with that feeling... you'd be surprised how creepy people will give you wide berth if you have a "I can take care of myself" attitude.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
That's a good idea!
I actually took one in college but it's been awhile.