Tellemarketer help! (this could be fun)

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, here's the scenario. I've been getting calls from a 1-800 number for almost a week now on my cell phone. I haven't answered them cause I wanted them to leave a message - which they never ever do. They call like 4-6 times a day.
So I finally put my phone numbers (all of them) on the do-not-call registry. I've never had a problem up till now so I honestly thought they were already on the list.
So the next time the 1-800 number called, I answered it this time. They are looking for some Jason Row or Rhodes?? I don't know a Jason, never have, and have always had this number so I tell them "I"m on the do not call list, call me again and you will be reported". This was Saturday. Well this morning they called again and I answered and said "consider yourself reported, I made it clear I was on the do not call list". Well they called again 30 minutes later!

So I went to the do not call registry and my phone number doesn't go into effect for 30 days. So I have to deal with this for 30 days (about 4-6 times a day).
I know for a fact that they won't stop because if you look this 1-800 number up anywhere on the net there are nothing but complaints. It's 1-800-684-8429. People everywhere are having the same problem.
So I figure since they're going to be a pain in my side for the next 30 days and there's really nothing I can do about it - maybe I should try to have some fun instead of getting all fired up.
So - looking for suggestions on how to have fun with these people. (Can't use the "how to prank a telemarketer" thing with this one though cause it's my cell phone and not a home phone).
Let's have fun guys!!
Any suggestions??

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your cell phone company. If you plan to never do business with them (which I doubt) then you can request that number from blocking you.

Also check your local/state laws. For 1) It's illegal to telemarket a cell phone unless specifically requested by the cell phone owner and 2) In MI at least they are not allowed to call you more than once. Once you tell them never to call you again, they aren't suppose to without risking a legal action.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

So - looking for suggestions on how to have fun with these people. (Can't use the "how to prank a telemarketer" thing with this one though cause it's my cell phone and not a home phone).
Let's have fun guys!!
Any suggestions??
Sorry, just noticed that part.

Anyways, tell them you killed the person they're looking for and if they call again you'll make their life a living....

Or without the risk of being arrested, say that they just called a pizza delivery place. I.e. if you see the number pick up and say "Hi Domino's! What kind of pizza would you like?"

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a collection agency??? There are specif rules on the hours that they can contact "customers".

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have loud music blasting when you answer the phone and just let them listen to it until they hang up

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask the person calling for their home phone number and you'll call them back and bug them at their house.

If you know the number when the call blow a whistle into the receiver.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Answer "(Your Town) Police dispatch; can I help you?"
I used this one with a siding salesman that couldn't get the message that I was on the do not call list. It worked. And the sputtering on the other end of the line was kind of fun to listen to.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trinettec

Answer "(Your Town) Police dispatch; can I help you?"
I used this one with a siding salesman that couldn't get the message that I was on the do not call list. It worked. And the sputtering on the other end of the line was kind of fun to listen to.
That's a good one!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Well, most of the phone pranks I know we can't discuss here... sorry...
why am I not surprised?

I would say sure, Jason's here, hold on....then just leave the phone off the hook.... unless your worried about your minutes.... after 50 times of them holding on, they'll get the hint & skip you # when they're going down their list..... they make $ for their calls by soliciting business, and they don't want to hold on, time = $.....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how they'd respond if you started doing some religious recruiting.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I basically just say hi, can I put you on hold and then hang up.
Sometimes, I just say no and hang up...it is a little fusterating!

ohnoaninfp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give the phone to a little kid. Thats what someone I know did. Also speak in another language or just say some really weird random stuff.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try these

"Hendersons Funeral Palour, how can I help you ?

" Mandys Massage "

"Wong Lees Take-away"

"<your town> Dogs Home"

" <your town> Fire Dept"

or if your just plain fed up of answering can you divert this caller to another number, again, something like the Pizza Place

Have Fun

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While these sound like fun...

This is what I did to get rid of a credit card company that was calling non-stop.

I got the name of the company. I got the name of the person calling. And then I told them, "I have all of your information and the number of times you have called, as well as documentation of when I asked to be removed from your calling list. If you call this number again, I will file charges against you personally and your company for harassment. Remove this number from your list NOW!"

Asking them to remove me 500 times didn't work. Hanging up on them didn't work - they would call back in 10 minutes. THIS tactic finally worked!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

If you know the number when the call blow a whistle into the receiver.
Um I hope you weren't serious about that suggestion!

We get the bill collectors calling here every few months for a roommate who hasn't lived here in five years. Typically when they call and I answer they will say "Hello Mrs.____" and then start to ramble on. I've responed with "EEEWWWWWW! I don't think so!" Which got them to shut up so I could tell them he hasn't lived at this address in 5 years, yada yada yada. Once I got in touch with his ex-wife and she gave me his number at work to give them! Then I lost it before they called back.

Maybe come up with some funny names that rhyme with the person they are looking for and act like you can't hear them clearly. "Sorry! No Mason here!" etc

Ive done that before

Me No Speak no English.
I've done "Me no speak Spanish" back when I lived at home. Somehow the telemarketing companies had gotten the idea that because my parent's have a Spanish last name, everyone in the house must speak Spanish.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one the one the other day calling the business here and when I said remove me from your calling list he said, "let me see, can we do that, NO!" and hung up on me! What a
I about flipped!!!