I'm panicking here

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
Can someone please tell me that I am being so silly. You all know we have this cat that is in our garage. Well, he's been there since friday night. Anyway, he was on my lap kneading my leg and I'm not even sure he broke the skin, but you know how you can feel your cats claws when they knead you. I don't have rabies do I? He is actually in our kitchen right now and he is meowing to get out. But he's been very lovey this whole time and he is super friendly and he's eating and drinking just fine. Would someone tell me that I'm being totally paranoid and silly about this. I am just so overwhelmed right now. We are building a new house and our old one goes on the market in a week even though though the new one won't be ready till July. Please someone make me feel better, I'm having panic attacks over this.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get him checked by the vet yet? Make sure he doesn't make your other kits sick....

Sounds like he has been someone's kitty recently, since he is not feral.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if rabies can pass thru claws...I've only heard of spit/saliva.

Anyways you may want to take him to a vet and request a rabies test just to be sure.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it had to be a cat bite for rabies too. Can you call you vet's office??

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am wondering what make syou think this cat is carrying rabies?
His behavior seems normal, and he did not "bite" or "scratch" you....from what I have read you have NOTHING to worry about.
Send those panic attacks away!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you have rabies either....but I would recommend taking him to the vet...also, the vet will want to do a blood test, to test for feline aids, leukemia, and bartonella. You will want this test, so that he doesn't pass anything onto your other kitties....or to Brandon for matter. LuckyGirl had Bartonella when we 1st found her, and had to be on meds for over 3 weeks. Keep him away from your other kitties till you get the bloodwork back....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

I'm sorry for being so panicky. I will admit that I'm not 100% sure he even broke the skin while kneading on my leg. I just need to hear other people (especially people here) tell me I'm being silly.
Take your pants off and take a look. Is it bleeding? Then he broke skin.

Sorry I'm just being silly.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry for being so panicky. I will admit that I'm not 100% sure he even broke the skin while kneading on my leg. I just need to hear other people (especially people here) tell me I'm being silly.
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Take your pants off and take a look. Is it bleeding? Then he broke skin.

Sorry I'm just being silly.
Hey quit it guys!! I get to be silly!!

But you BOTH are being silly too! Relax... it'll be ok! If it turns green and falls off, you may have something to worry about!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I don't know if rabies can pass thru claws...I've only heard of spit/saliva.

Anyways you may want to take him to a vet and request a rabies test just to be sure.
I agree. Has to be a bite or saliva. (although cats do lick their claws). Just kidding. I've done the worrying about rabies before too. Had one foster cat that bit me twice really bad, and the cat had just been vaccinated a few days before. My Dr. asked if I wanted to get the rabies vaccine (painful, I hear). Definitely take him to the vet to get checked and get a rabies vaccine, but if you have him tested for rabies, I think they would have to kill him and do a brain biopsy. Sounds like the kitty's way too nice to have it anyway.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Crazy, is ok. As long as your comfortable with it, and you already know all of the voices in your head!
I always tell people this, too!
Or the people in my head are telling me to kick you!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, you are being silly

I really don't think that you have rabies though, I also always thought that the animal had to bite and break the skin too.