Oh Great.....kitten swallowed cushion stuffing

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of my 14 week old kittens just swallowed a small clump of stuffing from a cushion that had sprung a leak. he managed to get it down before i could take it away from him.
So how concerned should i be about this now? is it likely to just pass through his system? i'm hoping so since it doesn't seem like it would be too different from the fur a cat might ingest while grooming, or the fur or feathers from prey that a cat in the wild would swallow. but i'm still sort of worried.
in any case i wish i had been a bit faster grabbing the stuffing from him....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kazanlak

one of my 14 week old kittens just swallowed a small clump of stuffing from a cushion that had sprung a leak. he managed to get it down before i could take it away from him.
So how concerned should i be about this now? is it likely to just pass through his system? i'm hoping so since it doesn't seem like it would be too different from the fur a cat might ingest while grooming, or the fur or feathers from prey that a cat in the wild would swallow. but i'm still sort of worried.
in any case i wish i had been a bit faster grabbing the stuffing from him....
How small was the clump?? It is likely he will pass it....but just keep an eye on him.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it cotton stuffing or foam rubber? I might call the vet now and see what you should do, or what to look for. I have NO clue.

Keno's eaten the stuffing of a catnip toy before - the fluff and it didn't hurt her (but she is a lab)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was a pretty small piece. i'm not exactly sure on the size, maybe like the size of a fingertip. but it is a kind of linty sort of filling.
it's been several hours and he seems his normal self, but i will watch him and can run him to the vet (which is like five minutes away) pretty quickly if i have too. i'll give them a call in the morning if it seems like something is wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well he seems to be just fine. it's been a couple days he's eating and using the litter box normally. he isn't giving any indication that something is bothering him, he is his usual troublemaker self (in fact this is my second attempt at a reply, the first was thwarted when he and his sister landed on the keyboard and caused the page with my first reply to vanish just a few minutes ago...).

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kazanlak

well he seems to be just fine. it's been a couple days he's eating and using the litter box normally. he isn't giving any indication that something is bothering him, he is his usual troublemaker self (in fact this is my second attempt at a reply, the first was thwarted when he and his sister landed on the keyboard and caused the page with my first reply to vanish just a few minutes ago...).
LOL....kittens are balls of non stop enegy. I'm glad he is doing ok.

Katie

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats good that he is doing ok
TNR1 is right, kittens are balls of non stop energy
, My kitties Stormie and Bella both take the stuffing stuff out of the toys, i find it in the most random places around my room
though I never seen them eating it, but it still worries me!!!
kittens these days

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once walked a mini Schnauzer who'd been constipated for a couple of days. Well, I found out why after he had the biggest poop possible for such a little doggie! It was about 6" of cushion stuffing.
He felt a lot better afterwards.