Cat in heat question!?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK to me it would make sence if a cat in heat was not pregnant. but I am just making sure I am right. so if she is in heat would she be pregnant from the last heat? or by going into heat again is that a sign she is not pregnant?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely not pregnant. Why is she in a position where she can get pregnant if she is not spayed yet? She needs to be indoors, away from intact males until she gets done

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JavannaLynn

OK to me it would make sence if a cat in heat was not pregnant. but I am just making sure I am right. so if she is in heat would she be pregnant from the last heat? or by going into heat again is that a sign she is not pregnant?
Javanna....cats do not need to be in heat to get pregnant. As long as there is an intact male around and they are above the age of 4 months, they can become pregnant at any time because they are induced ovulators. This is why it is so critical to get your female spayed as soon as possible.

I read your other thread in the behavior section. How old are your two cats?? I'm glad you currently have them seperated.

I would still go ahead and get her spayed now. Especially if your two cats are related, an accidental pregnancy could result in genetic issues.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that she isn't preggo, but I second everything TNR1 said.

Please spay your baby as soon as possible for your sake and hers!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought she was getting spayed right after Christmas?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong, but I thought in some cases they still acted "in heat" for a few days after mating?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I could be wrong, but I thought in some cases they still acted "in heat" for a few days after mating?
Yes....they can. Depending on when in the heat cycle a cat becomes pregnant, it can take up to 3 days for signs of heat to disappear.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was spayed yesterday. I was asking because I was hoping I wasn't going to make her have a kitty abortion. and I did ask and she wasn't pregnant so I did good! My little Squeaker is going in with in the next couple weeks.

She is doing good after yesterday. I was suprised there was growling and hissing when I brought her home. I had to lock her in the bathroom for a few hours letting Squeak in for a few minutes at a time. when I did let Angel out squeak just laid under the bed next to her awake. I think he figured out who she was and didn't know what else to do. Thank you guys for all your help.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you did the right thing. Cats get weirded out with all the smells from the vet. They should be back to normal in a week or so.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She was spayed yesterday. I was asking because I was hoping I wasn't going to make her have a kitty abortion. and I did ask and she wasn't pregnant so I did good! My little Squeaker is going in with in the next couple weeks.

She is doing good after yesterday. I was suprised there was growling and hissing when I brought her home. I had to lock her in the bathroom for a few hours letting Squeak in for a few minutes at a time. when I did let Angel out squeak just laid under the bed next to her awake. I think he figured out who she was and didn't know what else to do. Thank you guys for all your help.
JavannaLynn....I am very glad that you got her spayed and I am also glad that she did not turn out to be pregnant.

Please keep us informed on how Squaker's neuter goes because we love to celebrate spays/neuters.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it didn't take long for them to be happy together again. No big suprise with those two. I swear that was love at first sight. I am wondering though, about her stiches, she keeps chewing on them and trying to pull them out. she hasn't done anything I have been smacking her everytime I catch her. but is she going to do damage.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well it didn't take long for them to be happy together again. No big suprise with those two. I swear that was love at first sight. I am wondering though, about her stiches, she keeps chewing on them and trying to pull them out. she hasn't done anything I have been smacking her everytime I catch her. but is she going to do damage.
Yes she can....I would let your vet know that she is trying to chew on her stitches and find out what he/she recommends.

Katie