Feeding Dry & Wet

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those that feed dry and wet but not at the same time. How much wet do you give? I cut mine up in quarters and feed a quarter a night. He gets a handful of dry in the morning and then the quarter at night... I figure if it's not a whole lot he's not going to starve anyway because he's chubby. He'd eat the whole can if I'd let him.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I free feed all day and give them as much can as they want. I wish they would eat can only.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys get Meow Mix pouches for wet food, and they split 2 of them a day, one at noon and one at night - and they have dry food out all day, that they hardly ever eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh you guys offer a lot of food. Of course it's just Puff here. If I put out all that he'd be severely overweight because he'll eat whatever you put in front of him.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed it as much as possible, too but it's usually a can a day. and some days it's a can and a half a day. it just depends. Miagi is so picky he hates just dry food, so I have to give him wet and dry. Tiger doesn't care.
but I give them both wet and dry.. not at the same time of course. they are free fed.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My three share a 6 oz. can each evening, and about 1 cup dry per day.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chessy gets 1 small can of wet in the evening and free fed dry. I haven't been able to get Emily to eat any wet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie in her wet / dry yrs ... got about 3/4 cup dry and a four to six ounce can a day

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had to switch back to dry/wet feeding. so right now they are getting 1/2 cup split into 2 bowls. they free feed on that. for wet they get 4-6 oz of wet food each, per day. i usually do 3 wet feedings.

we are going out of town this weekend, so i am likely upping the dry to 3/4 cup and they will be getting 4 oz wet each, because the petsitter only visits 2 times a day.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie gets 1/4 cup / 30 grams of dry in the morning, and a 3 ounce can in the evening.
The amount you feed really depends on the food, though. The higher the quality, the smaller the amount fed, generally.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I free feed all day and give them as much can as they want. I wish they would eat can only.
That's what I do too. Mine get canned in the morning and evening. Of course they realllly enjoy stuff that only comes in 3oz cans
- with 8 cats, that's messing with my budget LOL - but I want them to eat more wet food. We're still working on it. None of mine have weight issues, just varied appetites/tastes and one with special dietary needs (for UTI issues).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The amount you feed really depends on the food, though. The higher the quality, the smaller the amount fed, generally.
That's what I figured to. I'm feeding Eukanuba dry which I will switch off of after he finishes the bag. He's not down far enough yet to start mixing his new dry which is Wellness.

And I have Wellness canned I feed him now.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed the four kitties a small can of food twice a day. I have two bowls and I half the can so they don't all have to share the same bowl. The always have dry food to eat. The seem to like friskies canned food and I feed the purina one urinary tract care because of lucky.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed Ping 1/2 can to whole can (3oz) of wet twice a day (morning & night). I also put 1/4 cup dry out that he free feeds through out the day. I have recently added some raw meat to his diet that I give around noon.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pico's a healthy 15 lbs and Romeo's 11 lbs. Each of them get 1/2 standard can per day and 1/2 cup dry food per day. This diet has maintained their weights quite well. Pico's a possessive foodie and has lost 2 lbs over the past year. Their meals are served in 2 feedings, although we're going to put them down to 1 to make things easier for our cat sitter in March.