Persi & Alley report - advice please

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I have made it past post 666 I can get back to business.

I picked up Alley Cat Friday night after almost 12 hours of being caged up due to bad weather, accidents on the freeway home, etc. The poor thing was traumatized by the time we got her home. Persi was sleeping in the front part of the house and paid me no mind at all as I snuck past him with the carrier containing his future bride. I had spent that afternoon fixing up the "safe" room for Alley, three doors away from where we presently have Persi quarantined. We opened up the carrier and Alley was soon out but proceeded to crawl under the couch in that room. There she remained the rest of the night. Yesterday she started venturing out but we kept her confined to that one room where there could be no interacton with Persi. Persi never let on that he suspected a thing all day yesterday! Today we have opened the door to the "safe" room and Alley now has access to the bedrooms at the back of the house. A lone door separates the back bedrooms from the rest of the house, but a door with a tight fit at the bottom that will not allow a paw to pass under it. I know at some point today they will discover that each other is on the other side of that door but it has not happened yet. Alley meanwhile is exploring her new domain. I have tomorrow set for the big initial contact meeting. I thought this would be good since I assumed they would already have knowledge of each other's existence by then. Meanwhile, Alley is interfacing much better than expected with us humans and she will have our bed available to her tonight should she be so inclined (pun intended). This is all going to be very interesting. Any thoughts on how I should proceed tomorrow? I had this one crazy thought, but perhaps it is not so crazy, and that is after their initial meeting to swap locations with them, that is, put Alley in the front and Persi in the back. That would mean Persi would then be using Alley's personal stuff and vice versa. But, would this be good or bad in developing their relationship? Well, tomorrow is a holiday here and the weatherman says we will be iced in both days and what a wonderful time to watch this first hand relationship bloom. I have my cameras charged up and ready! I am expecting good things. Of course, any vibes will be gratefully accepted.
(OK, just change the stork to a plane, and change the baby to a cat.)

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think you are on the right track. Maybe even this afternoon, switch the kits living space and let Persi fall in love with Alley's wonderful scent and visa-versa. Since they go off of smell more than anything, they will already know each other after this. When you allow them to meet, just leave it up to them unless it looks like serious injury. Have a blanket or towel in case you need to separate them.

Other than that, pictures, pictures, pictures.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are on the right track, too. Many vibes headed your way and I cant wait to see the pics!!!!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it will all go well. I've had my new kitten for 4.5 weeks now. She's now playing with Felix and even our "old hag" (15 year old unsocial calico) has taken a slight shining to the new one. I didn't even follow proper "introduction techniques."

Enjoy--I've discovered NOTHING is cuter than watching kitties play together!

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I think you are on the right track.
Maybe even this afternoon, switch the kits living space
and let Persi fall in love with Alley's wonderful scent and visa-versa. Since they go off of smell more than anything, they will already know each other after this. When you allow them to meet, just leave it up to them unless it looks like serious injury. Have a blanket or towel in case you need to separate them.

Other than that, pictures, pictures, pictures.
I have decided to do exactly this. Yesterday Alley came out from hiding and even slept ON the bed with us last night, so from that angle, everything is working much better than expected. So, I just got through swapping their living spaces. Alley of course found new couches to hide under but that was to be expected. Persi is in there examining where Alley has been. I think we can difinately now say they know of each other's existence although they have not yet caught sight of each other. I think I will leave things the way they are right now until Alley starts coming out from things in the front half of the house. The other great news is that Alley is eating the food that Persi is used to eating. It would be nice if they both ate the same food. Once they get together, it guess it would be just TOO MUCH to hope for that they could learn to use the same litter box?????
I am pretty excited about all of this even though I had no plans on rescuing another cat. When I get them to the point that I can get a photo of them embracing, I will make a new siggy, but guess there is nothing I can do to add Alley's name to my uername. Except wait till I have 1200 posts then I think I can add a name under the username. My wife just came in and informed me that Persi is actually laying inside ot the carrier that Alley was shipped here in!!! Well, now I am really filled with happiness and optimism over this whole thing...

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yay! i'm glad the pre-intro activities are going well! Along with switching the living spaces, taking towels scented with the other cat and introducing that might give you a good idea of how they might initially respond (i.e. hissing at the towel isn't nearly as good as them wanting to sleep on the towel). Also, when they do first get to see eachother, you might want to just let it me that, seeing eachother. Someone can hold persi and someone can hold alley at a decent distance away, and let them see eachother, and then slowly move closer to eachother.
Just a thought!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see pictures of your Alley when you get them. it sounds like things are going well so far between her and Persi. Hoping they have a wonderful friendship together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

yay! i'm glad the pre-intro activities are going well! Along with switching the living spaces, taking towels scented with the other cat and introducing that might give you a good idea of how they might initially respond (i.e. hissing at the towel isn't nearly as good as them wanting to sleep on the towel). Also, when they do first get to see eachother, you might want to just let it me that, seeing eachother.
Someone can hold persi and someone can hold alley at a decent distance away, and let them see eachother
, and then slowly move closer to eachother.
Just a thought!
That is exactly what I plan on doing but here is the snag: While Persi was busy rolling over and having fun with the things that were shipped with Alley, Alley spent the entire day yesterday under the couch in the living room. We finally decided last night to swap them back again because Alley is not afraid of the rear of the house for whatever cat logic she is using. In other words, they still have not met yet! But as long as Alley remains upset over the house, I do not feel I should compound that by having them meet. Oh, they certainly know that each other is there. Persi is just dying to meet Alley but not the other way yet. Looks like I just need to have a lot more patience. The amazing thing though is that Alley is sitting here in the computer chair with me right now so I do not need to be complaining. Just a little more patience...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Have you tried any Feliway diffusers with Alley yet? It might help calm her more.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try either 1) leaving Alley in the front of the house longer, there are several things that could cause her to hide longer, I think she just needs longer to adjust to the front of the house or 2) if she truly is comfortable in the rear of the house, why not arrange the meeting there? It could allow for you to gauge her response to Persi earlier without the additional stress of her having to explore and adjust to new territory. If they get along, great! Keep them both in the rear of the house to get acquainted (supervised, of course) and after a couple of days, open up the rest of the house, then she can wander around as she pleases, with Persi as her guide! If Alley doesn't accept Persi (which is possible, cute as he may be), then you can keep them separated longer and just keep introducing her to his scent and slowly him again.

BTW, when you switched her back to the rear of the house, how did she respond to Persi's smell being on her stuff?