Help! cat went crazy!

wasj2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dont know how else to put it. Cat is a calico, 4 years old, very loving, never had any problems. Last night, she kept jumping in my lap while I was working on somthing, I would put her in the floor and a few minutes later she would jump back up. You know how cats can be! Suddenly she started hissing and slaping. First time ever. A few minutes later she was fine, but then she lost it again this morning. This time its worse. Now she is hiding in the top of my closet, she pooped and peed all over the closet, and hisses and screams like a demon if I get anywhere close. This has been going on for about 2 hours now.

Shots are up to date, Very healthy. No injurys that I know of. Not sure what to do. I was raised with cats and have never seen a cat snap like that. I appritate any suggestions.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either she saw a 'rival' outside (through the window), or something else happened that she couldn't get your attention for when she tried... but do not assume she's healthy - after all, even if you had a terrible headache, how would your cat know unless you were acting out? You'll have to let her cool down, don't try to approach her or anything, but do confine her to that room (can you get the box and some water in there?). Give her a couple of hours or so and quietly get inside to see how she is. If she's settled, just let her be (though if it's time to eat, put her food in there too), but talk to her quietly while you do something else in the room. If she's 'good' when you approach, let her out of the room - she may have forgotten all about whatever happened - but if not, then keep her there til you're ready to go to the vet's (tomorrow I guess) and then wear a jacket and gloves to quickly surprise her and get her (backwards helps) into the carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasj2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. She seems to have calmed down a little, but she still hisses when I get near the closet. She acctually came down for a minute when I poped the top on some catfood(always works) but she stared at me from across the room and went right back up without eating. I will do as you said and place her pan and food and water in the room with her and leave her alone for now.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First I'd like to say welcome to our site!

Cats are very good at hiding pain/injury. She may need a trip to the vet. Please keep us posted on how she's doing

harriet's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree...taking her to the vet is the surest way you can make sure she isn't hiding an illness. Cats are excellent at hiding illnesses as in the wild, they cannot let on to other predators that they are ill and weak. This trait has carried over to domesticated cats. If she's exhibited such a sudden change in behavior, it would definitely be worth checking out with a vet.

wasj2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a quick update. I put food up in the closet and she ate dinner. Good sign I hope. She has come down from the closet since so I left the bedroom door open. She has come out and wandered around the house a little. I think she was looking for the litter pan in its usual place. She is still not herself but has calmed down since this morning. Gonna make a trip to the vet tommarrow so ill keep you posted. Thanks for the replies.

wasj2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went to the vet. They did find some small traces of somthing in her urine. Im back at work and dont have the papers with me so I cant say exactly, but he did say it wasnt serious. Gave me some pills to give her that should clear it up. He couldnt really explain the behavior though. She is back at home and doing better, still hissing at me a little and really on edge one minute, then rubbing on my leg and fine the next minute. Well see how things go.

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
something very similar to this happened to one of my mom's cats. He managed to get a plastic grocery bag and got it wrapped around his head (in the middle of the night) and ran through the house screaming with it on him. He managed to get it off, but he was so oxygen deprived he had a seizure, which lead to him literally climbing the blinds and peeing all over himself. He was really messed up, acting very much like your cat did for several hours. Vet checked him out the next morning, he was fine. *whew*

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wasj2006

Went to the vet. They did find some small traces of somthing in her urine. Im back at work and dont have the papers with me so I cant say exactly, but he did say it wasnt serious. Gave me some pills to give her that should clear it up. He couldnt really explain the behavior though. She is back at home and doing better, still hissing at me a little and really on edge one minute, then rubbing on my leg and fine the next minute. Well see how things go.
The vet might not have been able to explain her behaviour, but I'm sure any woman who ever had cystitis or any other urinary tract problem WOULD be able to! I am glad that you have got her on medication for it, I am hoping that she is better and back to normal soon. Cats hide their pain as much as they can, but that doesn't mean that they don't ever snap when they are feeling discomfort. Hopefully the treatment will see a great improvement