My daughters crusade

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting a little concerned about DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e and her crusade. I am not even sure what to call it.

Anyways, DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e is very active in BARL (Brookhaven Animal Rescue League). This is the rescue league that ya'll chose to recieve the donations from your cookbook.

DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e is always looking out for animals where she lives. She was telling me the other day that she was driving home from work and she saw a man on the side of the road throwing out something. She stopped to see if he had car trouble or something, and he told her no that he was throwing out some food to some little puppies that were on the side of the road, (she didn't really know if he was throwing out food or if he was getting rid of the puppies), so she called up the people from BARL and another lady from there came out and they got the puppies and took them to the rescue league. She found out later that all her puppies had been adopted.

I am very proud of what she does, because it it something that she believes in. But me and her husband now are getting concerned about her.

The other day she told me that some people by her house had some dogs in their yard and they were chained up, and had no shelter. Well DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e went up to these peoples house and proceded to tell them that these little dogs had to have some shelter and food and water. DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e is not very big, (she is all of 4'10), the older lady that was there said they were not her dogs, but that the dogs belonged to her daughter. So DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e asked her if she could have them. The lady called her daughter and the daughter said no. DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e was almost in tears cause she felt so sorry for these dogs. She ended up going to BARL and getting two old dog houses for these dogs to get in. Then she told the lady that these dogs had to have fresh food and water every day. She really got on the the older lady.

Me and her husband worry about her doing stuff like that, some people are nuts, and they might not take her kindess in worrying about these animals the way that she is trying to do.

But I am proud of her just the same, my children were brought up to not be mean to anyone or anything. I have always taught my children to treat people the way that they would want to be treated.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I think its great what she's doing. But your right, maybe she should be bringing someone along with her when confronting bad owners. She needs to keep safe too. Bad owners are sometimes likely to be bad humans too, so we don't want Desiree to experience anything like that.

I wonder if her husband can go with her when she does things like that?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Aw, I think its great what she's doing. But your right, maybe she should be bringing someone along with her when confronting bad owners. She needs to keep safe too. Bad owners are sometimes likely to be bad humans too, so we don't want Desiree to experience anything like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

He would probably go with her if she would wait, but she doesn't think about that. She just decides to do whatever she is gonna do then. Her husband is a very big fellow too, he is 6' and weighs over 200 pounds so people might tend to pay attention better. But DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e is not afraid, I think she gets that from me.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she needs to have someone accompany her. Please have her read this thread, as I'm sure other people will chime in.

As it is a wonderful thing she is doing, she also will be no good to ANYONE if someone decides to hurt her...

I can understand your concern for her safety, because the threat of her being harmed is real. Many people who treat their animals this way don't think much more of human life, and will not hesitate to lash out on her physically. She either needs hubby to go with her each and every time, or someone from the rescue league.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Yeah, she needs to have someone accompany her. Please have her read this thread, as I'm sure other people will chime in.

As it is a wonderful thing she is doing, she also will be no good to ANYONE if someone decides to hurt her...

I can understand your concern for her safety, because the threat of her being harmed is real. Many people who treat their animals this way don't think much more of human life, and will not hesitate to lash out on her physically. She either needs hubby to go with her each and every time, or someone from the rescue league.
Yeah, so far she has been lucky, but she usually does this in daylight so that is good, and I really think that she would call someone if it was real bad. BARL can not go to peoples homes and get animals. The other pound thing where she lives takes care of that, she doesn't want to call them though because they are not a no kill shelter like BARL. I do think though she would call the police if she had to.

But I am real proud of her for what she does and what she belives in. Maybe she is making a difference in some peoples lives.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should be very proud of your daughter.
So many of us see things that we know are wrong, but are afraid to make waves. Wish there were more like her!
Certainly wouldn't hurt to have hubby or some other big guy along for protection.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't take the time to think about bringing her husband, perhaps she should look into some self defense courses.

While what she's doing is right and very noble, like Natalie said, not all humans are good and some may take what she has to say in a defensive manner. Or even just the mere fact that she steps foot on their property could be offensive.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If she doesn't take the time to think about bringing her husband, perhaps she should look into some self defense courses.

While what she's doing is right and very noble, like Natalie said, not all humans are good and some may take what she has to say in a defensive manner. Or even just the mere fact that she steps foot on their property could be offensive.
She is a lot like me though, I don't think that she thinks about it being unsafe, she is more concerned about these animals. I am gonna try and talk to her though, I am very proud of what she is doing though.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am gonna try and talk to DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e a little bit and tell her what everyone here said.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I think I am gonna try and talk to DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e a little bit and tell her what everyone here said.
Great! Tell her we think she's doing a wonderful job and wish that more people were like her, but we would also like to keep her safe.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds as if she's a wonderful woman!
Personally, if someone I didn't know wanted to question me about how I kept my animals (not that I have anything to worry about but still..), as a short woman I would rather have a conversation about it with another short woman than a 6' muscly bloke, and I am sure I am not the only one who may feel intimidated in that situation, so perhaps she should have him at a distance or in the car at the kerb in case he's needed for her safety?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds just like me! I can never seem to keep my mouth shut.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would go with her I am sure, it just seems like everytime she sees something she is by herself, and I guess she thinks if she waits and goes back it might be too late. Then she would feel guilty for not doing something first.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to think about her rescue groups, too. If she tells the person she is confronting that she is from the group (or they find out she is a member), she needs a witness to substantiate what she has done and said to the person, in case the person gets mad and tries to say she did something she didn't (like take the animal without permission)
. If she doesn't stop to do it for herself, then maybe she will stop and think about what is best for her organization

It really can be dangerous for her- I agree with what everyone else here has said.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One more vote for caution. What Desiree is doing is admirable and important, but she won't get to do it if someone in one of those situations doesn't like her interest and takes his displeasure out on her 4'10" frame.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

She needs to think about her rescue groups, too. If she tells the person she is confronting that she is from the group (or they find out she is a member), she needs a witness to substantiate what she has done and said to the person, in case the person gets mad and tries to say she did something she didn't (like take the animal without permission)
. If she doesn't stop to do it for herself, then maybe she will stop and think about what is best for her organization

It really can be dangerous for her- I agree with what everyone else here has said.
She would never take an animal without permission, at least I don't think that she would. And I think she is usually pretty nice while she is being mad at them.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't say she would take an animal without permission
, I'm saying someone who didn't like what she had to say to them (no matter how nice she is- some people are nutjobs and go into "how dare you critize me, I'll teach you" mode - but are a little more kiniving (sp?)- false lawsuit, anyone?
) could accuse her of (read here "lie about her") doing something like that, or say she threatened them about their dog, wrecked their property or something ugly like that, and that would be be bad for both her and the people she's working with, which would also be bad for the animals they are trying to help
. A witness of any kind would help avoid that kind of situation, too.