Do you admit to being a Forum Member ?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was telling a "real" friend about some threads on here, I was fairly animated about it, you know how it goes... and she said this... and oh you should have seen the photo....my "real" friends DH leaned forward and said

"you know you dont really know these people, they´re not your friends you know"

I felt really offended
and some of the other members of the group thought it was all a bit strange that I was involved in this "virtual" world. Well I know I´ve never met any of you but , well you feel like friends to me. I know some of you have met up and have made great friendships too
I also felt a bit of the odd one out at this gathering as none of the others where members of any forums at all.....
.....freaky or is it me whos freaky ??

Anyone else had similar responses or feelings ?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My DH looks at me funny when I've mentioned something (though I have hooked him on 8-bit stories). We did meet Kim (Kluchetta) so he does acknowledge these are real people. I don't mention it at work though

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do. My wife isn't much of a forum person for almost the same reason. The "these are just people on the computer..." thinking. But, I belong to a few other forums and just like this one I think of it as a place to share your interests, get advice (although she doesn't think advice from people on a forum is as valid, especially if it comes to cat health, correcting behavior etc..), and entertain yourself.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get weird looks alot when I mention "my online friends on this forum" but then again, I'm on more than one forum and even moderate on a couple.

Yes, none of us REALLY know each other unless we've had the opportunity to get together IRL, but honestly? This IS a part of "real life" and the education and support that I personally have received since becoming a TCS member is phenomenal!

So...I think she's just jealous that you have friends that she doesn't share.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People that make statements like that don't really understand. I talk about TCS and VF all the time - I get funny looks from some and enthusiastic enquiries from others. I've said it before - this is the best site ever! I think of you all as dear friends.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some very dear friends that I met online first, and now we have met in person, these people are some of my closest friends too.

*lulu*

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww
Poor you.

I talk to my 'real' friends about threads on here and other forums and I often say friends but they don't query it.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pffttt, people who don't understand the relationships we form here don't really understand the concept of friendship, IMO. Friends isn't about being in physical contact, its about being there for each other.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always admit it, I don't care. Whats the dang difference anyway where someone lives or where you met them? Heck, I even talk about my friends on here like they live next door..."So, I called Nita today...etc..." Who cares?? LOL

I am proud of my friendships on here

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Pffttt, people who don't understand the relationships we form here don't really understand the concept of friendship, IMO. Friends isn't about being in physical contact, its about being there for each other.
That is so true Neet, me and Neet was friends online first, now we are friends in real life too.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the only person that knows I go to forums is my mom and she doesn't really get it either but doesn't care. I also go to chat rooms and have met a few very good friends. I havn't met any people on forums that I am really good friends with because some of them can be kind of clicky (sp) and just stick to certain groups of people. This forum doesn't seem to be like that though and that is one of the reasons I like it.

I do spend too much time on the computer though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have lived long enough to know....
it is important in life to be real.
Otherwise----what's the point?

My family and friends know that I have made friends with TCS members from all over the world and they honor that.

When I am shopping, if I see someone who is buying kitty supplies, I ask if they have a computer and if they do, I tell them about TCS, what a safe place it is to be, & how helpful it is to those of us who have kitties under our care.
If they seem really interested, I write down the name & address of the site...adding my user name so they can stop by and say hi.

Sometimes they have joined.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Anyone who is important enough to me, knows about TCS and respects it greatly. I have met some wonderful people on here that I consider my friends
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I have some very dear friends that I met online first, and now we have met in person, these people are some of my closest friends too.
Some of my best friends IRL are people I met online to begin with. I find you make better friends with them as you really connect with someone online before you would meet them in real life

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I tell people, and the only ones who think it strange that I participate are those who don't know much of anything about Internet forums. Doesn't friendship mean communicating with somebody at a certain level, and giving them support when they need it? I don't think the mode of communications is important.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk about it a bit....but not much because I get a slightly different reaction. "This is the internet. There are wierdos out there and you're probably telling your life story to a bunch of psychos".

I had to admit I don't talk about it that much either because I open up about a lot of things here and don't want folks in my "real" life coming and lookin at all the stuff I'm saying. I guess this is my "secret" life.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! My Mother even comes on here and looks at all of your cats when shes visiting. Jim thinks me and all of you are a bunch of nuts

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I talk about it a bit....but not much because I get a slightly different reaction. "This is the internet. There are wierdos out there and you're probably telling your life story to a bunch of psychos".

I had to admit I don't talk about it that much either because I open up about a lot of things here and don't want folks in my "real" life coming and lookin at all the stuff I'm saying. I guess this is my "secret" life.
Well I don't know why psychos would stick around as long as some of us do
Hey wait, maybe I am a psycho and don't even know it