Using the edge of the litter box

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This issue is kind of split between Behaviour and Care & Grooming, so I posted it here.

A couple of months ago I switched Dori over to a covered litter box. She took to it right away. I started noticing though, that she was standing at the very back of the box to urinate and it would run down the wall of the box and collect in the edges where the top of the box attached to the lower section. I didn't notice it right away, but it began to get quite smelly. For a couple of weeks I just cleaned it all out each day, but that soon became tiresome so I bought her a new box that was identical to the one we used before the covered box, thinking she would quit going at the edge of the box. It was never a problem before the covered box.
She is still standing at the edge of the box to go, so some of the urine is landing right on the edge of the box causing it to trickle down the back and run down onto the carpet. This box is a large size for her, but she keeps wanting to stand on the edge...
Any ideas on what I can do to encourage her not to stand on the edge of the box? Is that even possible? I have put some puppy pads down under her box to protect the carpet for now.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No suggestions at the moment, since my PJ has ALWAYS done this. She stands up to pee, right at the back of the box. Thankfully, we don't seem to have the leaking problem that you're describing.

Because our boxes are on a wood floor (well, not real wood, probably pergo apartment flooring!), we've put down giant plastic sheets under the boxes just in case anything does escape.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kirra is an edge stander as well, but i have noticed since we got tiffy and have two boxes, one with a lid one without that kirra prefeers the no lid and does not stand near edges, i think the lid bothers her. Maybe take the lid off and see what happens?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger does the exact same thing, but I've found that she actually prefers a box with a lid on it.

I recently bought a super deep, covered box with VERY high sides, and luckily, her pee lands JUST below the part where the top and bottom meet.

I got this one because Ferris is a litter thrower, and I no longer have a kitchen floor covered in litter anymore. So it works for both my babies.

Maybe a deeper box would be helpful for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A deeper box may just be what I need. I wish I would have kept the old box with the lid instead of throwing it away... I cold have just left the lid off and used the bottom part. It was quite deep... but then again, she did manage to pee on the back with that box.
I guess it isn't THAT big of a deal, since I have the puppy pads down under the box now the carpet is protected.
GingersMom, where did you find the box that you mentioned?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got some very deep Rubbermaid or Sterlite storage boxes to correct such a problem with MIL's cat. I just set the lids from the VanEss covered boxes right on top of the storage boxes so we still have "covered boxes, but no pee down the front. (Her thing is always to pee in the same spot in the front of the box.)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

A deeper box may just be what I need. I wish I would have kept the old box with the lid instead of throwing it away... I cold have just left the lid off and used the bottom part. It was quite deep... but then again, she did manage to pee on the back with that box.
I guess it isn't THAT big of a deal, since I have the puppy pads down under the box now the carpet is protected.
GingersMom, where did you find the box that you mentioned?
Petsmart. Let me see if I can find it online...

I couldn't find it online at Petsmart, but this is exactly the one I bought, and I love it very much. I took off the door, though - Ginger likes to be half out the doorway, LOL...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Petsmart. Let me see if I can find it online...

I couldn't find it online at Petsmart, but this is exactly the one I bought, and I love it very much. I took off the door, though - Ginger likes to be half out the doorway, LOL...
That is exactly the one I had for Dori!
I took the door off as well beause she wouldn't use it. I didn't have this problem until we used that box. She peed on the wall, above the lower piece and it would collect around the rim.
Now that she is using a box without a lid, it is missing the box or running down the back.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

That is exactly the one I had for Dori!
I took the door off as well beause she wouldn't use it. I didn't have this problem until we used that box. She peed on the wall, above the lower piece and it would collect around the rim.
Now that she is using a box without a lid, it is missing the box or running down the back.
Whoopsie!
OK, then I second the rubbermaid tub suggestion!