Our First Rescue Cats!!! Pic suggestions, anyone?

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we introduced ourselves a few weeks(? Months? I can't remember) ago, someone mentioned that we should start to take in cats as well as dogs (we run a dog rescue.) We've taken in a purebred cat in the past (by accident, someone contacted us and he was a breed we knew we could place quickly) but we've never taken mixed breeds because they're just so hard to find homes for. But when my friend had a fire at her home, the woman who was supposed to take two of her cats backed out on her, so she asked us to help. So we now have two mixed cats in our rescue! They've been here for a few weeks now, and I'm really hoping they will find good homes soon. We have them living in the basement currently because our cats have been ill. They have the run of the place down there, and we go down to visit them throughout the day. These are the pictures I have of them, on our website (www.bgkydogrescue.petfinder.com) but we really need to get some better pictures up! Does anyone have any suggestions for making them look really cute, so that people will be more likely to look at them and consider adopting them? Cat's are SOOOO hard to take pictures of!!! Any and all suggestions are welcome!

This is Sable:

And this is Clover:

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can never get good pictures of my cats. I would just suggest keep trying until you find one you like. The ones you posted look great by the way!

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh would i like to know! Socks is the hardest cat to take a picture of! he's sees me coming with the camera and turns away or RUNS. i have like 2 halfway good pics of him!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwww, they're cute enough as it is!

I like to use natural light when photographing the cats, both at home and when I have that job at the shelter. I think people like the "professional" look of a high mexapixel picture without a flash. Plus it makes their eyes look beautiful.

I'm so happy you're rescuing standard breed kitties- standard breed rescues are so very close mt my heart, and I really appreciate it when I see people working hard to make the lives of homeless kitties- any homeless kitties- better. These standard breed guys account for the majority of cats owned and I think people really enjoy the individuality and variety you find in the dhs/dmh/dlh population. Really play up what makes them wonderful as INDIVIDUALS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcrazyperson

oh my gosh would i like to know! Socks is the hardest cat to take a picture of! he's sees me coming with the camera and turns away or RUNS. i have like 2 halfway good pics of him!
YOU don't get to say it's hard to take pictures of your cats! I've seen pictures of your cats... they're wonderful!!!
In fact, every time I see that sweet picture of Peanut licking his paw I can't help but smile. If I could get a picture like that of one of these guys, I'd have her adopted in a second!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Awwwwwww, they're cute enough as it is!

I like to use natural light when photographing the cats, both at home and when I have that job at the shelter. I think people like the "professional" look of a high mexapixel picture without a flash. Plus it makes their eyes look beautiful.
Thanks for the suggestion... we always do outdoor pics for the dogs, but we can't take them outside... do you think I should just have my husband holding them, and take a picture outdoors???

I'm so happy you're rescuing standard breed kitties- standard breed rescues are so very close mt my heart, and I really appreciate it when I see people working hard to make the lives of homeless kitties- any homeless kitties- better. These standard breed guys account for the majority of cats owned and I think people really enjoy the individuality and variety you find in the dhs/dmh/dlh population. Really play up what makes them wonderful as INDIVIDUALS.
Well, we didn't actually intend to rescue them so I'm not sure how much credit I really deserve... a friend of mine was in a "pinch."
If we can find them homes, though, who knows maybe we'll do this more often. Our basement spans the entire length of the house and we have a bedroom down there so we certainly have room for foster kitties.

Please be in prayer with us that we find these girls a home soon!

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

yeah every time i use the flash my cats eyes glow llike crazy!

Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

YOU don't get to say it's hard to take pictures of your cats! I've seen pictures of your cats... they're wonderful!!!
In fact, every time I see that sweet picture of Peanut licking his paw I can't help but smile. If I could get a picture like that of one of these guys, I'd have her adopted in a second!!!
aw, thank you!
you just made my day!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

Thanks for the suggestion... we always do outdoor pics for the dogs, but we can't take them outside... do you think I should just have my husband holding them, and take a picture outdoors???
Take a picture near a window....maybe bring them up to an upstairs bedroom or something just for a couple of pictures. I don't receommend taking cats outside without a harness or enclousure of some sort...if they get startled and bolt, that's it. You're then looking at having to locate and trap scared kitties.

Can you list these guys with a vet's office maybe? Or on a community board? I'm sure you know from your pooch experience to ALWAYS charge an adoption fee, even if these aren't fancy-pants kitties.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
see i am trying to figure out the same thing, it is so rare that i get a good picture of Bella she is soo hard to take photos of
but when she is sleeping its easier, Stormie I can always take pictures of well until she tries to attack the camera
, but the pictures u have now are cute imo ! the only suggestion i could make is take some till u like them and think they are cute thats what I usually do !!!