Smelly Kitty: Royal Canin Dry to Wet Food...Suggestions?

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tyler had a fecal check today and while there were no parasites, he has some loose bowel and according to the vet, "foul feces." He's been raised on Royal Canin: 1/2 Special and 1/2 Maine Coon formula so I've been using the same food. I was quite surprised that Tyler's feces would smell like a stink bomb considering he's on a high quality kibble?!

After much searching and reading TCS posts and recommended nutrition links, I'm overwhelmed with indecision. Wet food is definitely in order but I don't know if he'll accept it. I've tried a can of Natural Instinct by Healthy Pet Net. He licked the gravy off and never ate any of the actual food.

So...with his odiferous excrements in mind, how does venturing into a rabbit (800+ mg of taurine included) wet food sound? I'm looking at Nature's Variety Rabbit Diet.

The vet has him on Purina Gastroenteric feline formula which is good for about 4 days.

What should I try to avoid the smelly feces yet be healthy and delectable enough that he'll eat it? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

On another note...WOW...I've NEVER been this concerned about my own diet (or lack thereof)!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats smell no matter what ... my Zoey spelled a little like a kid not old enough for deorant ... My vet said she would as long as she ate any dry food... the accupucturist diagnoised a mild corn allergie ... I took her off a food with any corn and now no smell...Royal canin is premium but there are less rich and less "filler" based foods out there///

Solid gold and felidea are two coming to mind you may want to try

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be allergic to chicken. Rabbit is a good allergenic diet for a suspect cat. Nature's Variety and Nature's Logic are both excellent.

My Gizmo used to leave a mighty stank in the bathroom when she used her box to poop--since getting her off chicken dinner, she--and her deposits-- smelt a lot better.

By the way RC is NOT a high quality kibble. If your cat will eat the canned bunny, it'll be better for him. If he only wants kibble, get Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner.

Good luck.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

He could be allergic to chicken. Rabbit is a good allergenic diet for a suspect cat. Nature's Variety and Nature's Logic are both excellent.

My Gizmo used to leave a mighty stank in the bathroom when she used her box to poop--since getting her off chicken dinner, she--and her deposits-- smelt a lot better.

By the way RC is NOT a high quality kibble. If your cat will eat the canned bunny, it'll be better for him. If he only wants kibble, get Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner.

Good luck.
Rabbit is not the first jump ... I prefer to take a more measured approrch since two of my three animals ARE ALLERGIC TO RABBIT ... taw and cooked...

chicken allergy in cats is about 3% .... corn wheat and soy seem to equal about 60% ...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was first put on California Natural chicken and rice (she formerly ate Iams).

When she packed on a pound and still had the scratchies the vet told me to give her RC Rabbit and Green Pea. Since this was mostly green pea and she ate it somewhat reluctantly (occasionally puking green pea soup on the floor) I switched to Nature's Logic.

Getting rid of the grains is indeed a good first step, but Gizmo still stank on the CN diet. She's allergic to chicken.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Gizmo was first put on California Natural chicken and rice (she formerly ate Iams).

When she packed on a pound and still had the scratchies the vet told me to give her RC Rabbit and Green Pea. Since this was mostly green pea and she ate it somewhat reluctantly (occasionally puking green pea soup on the floor) I switched to Nature's Logic.

Getting rid of the grains is indeed a good first step, but Gizmo still stank on the CN diet. She's allergic to chicken.
I do feel for Gizmo... I know of another chicken free cat food coming sown the pipeline

Amazingly the most reported allergen to veggie or legume is PEA ... for many cats the common ones are the issue ..so venison and pea or rabbit and pea works.. I just wonder why they dont use sweet potatos ??lol back to the program..

RC is a true premium and a decent quality food for most...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I think I might try a combination of Felidae (dry) and Nature's Variety (wet) for now. When I can afford Nature's Logic or if you know where I can get it online for a good price, please let me know.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet is easier to find..

wet foods with no wheat or corn or soy

natural balence
nutro
solid gold
meow mix
new shebas
new iams
authority
pet gold
pro pac
felidea
merrick
nature prarie and logic( very$$$)

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What 'chicken free cat food' is 'coming down the pike?

There are others that claim to be allergen free, but my cat won't eat venison. In any case, the vet told me that venison was just as bad as beef for allergic cats, and lamb was worst of all.