still losing weight

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My abby is still losing weight,went to the vet again today,lost another 1/2 pound,she doesnt have diabetus,they are checking her thyroid? She also lost a tooth when she was at the vet,what the heck is goin on,can any1 throw any ideas my way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
9 years

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have her kidneys and liver been checked???

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat began having thyroid problems (HyperT) at around age 10. She lost almost 4 pounds, and has finally put it back on thanks to the proper amount of medication. Hopefully the thyroid tests will give you an indication as to what's going on.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way they will really be able to make a true diagnosis is if they run a CBC - Complete Blood Count or Senior Blood Panel. This will check all her organs, and her thyroid may very well be it, but it's critical that they see where her red and white blood cells are in relation to normal ranges for a senior kitty girl. They should ask about her history and also run snap tests for FeLV and FIV/FIP as well. It is costly - but more costly if you do things little by little or take her in for one thing each time. Best to get a comphreneisve "look" all at once. Bring a fecal sample if at all possible. If her white blood cells are elevated they will do more tests internally to determine if the "intruder" in Abby's body is bacterial, fungal, allergans, viral, or something more serious at her age. Keep us posted. But be assertive with your vet and ask for a CBC.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

The only way they will really be able to make a true diagnosis is if they run a CBC - Complete Blood Count or Senior Blood Panel. This will check all her organs, and her thyroid may very well be it, but it's critical that they see where her red and white blood cells are in relation to normal ranges for a senior kitty girl. They should ask about her history and also run snap tests for FeLV and FIV/FIP as well. It is costly - but more costly if you do things little by little or take her in for one thing each time. Best to get a comphreneisve "look" all at once. Bring a fecal sample if at all possible. If her white blood cells are elevated they will do more tests internally to determine if the "intruder" in Abby's body is bacterial, fungal, allergans, viral, or something more serious at her age. Keep us posted. But be assertive with your vet and ask for a CBC.
they are calling me back on tuesday,i will ask about the cbc thx

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

yeah that... it is time for it
.. Hoping it is something easily controled

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the vet called she had a complete check over,they said no diabetus,no thyroid,no liver problems,think maybe a parasite problem in her stomach or intestines?? they are not sure,they want us to bring in 1 stool sample 3 weeks 1 per week,This is killing me. Grrrrrrrrr