Scratching Behavior in Cats

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that declawed cats will still scratch at things, even though they don't have claws. Does this cause any damage to furnature/walls? They have nothing to scratch with, right?

Also, do cats chew on things like dogs? Will they bite at baseboards, door frames, or furnature?

Any info would be great. Thanks

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats scratch trees, furniture, table legs, etc. for many more reasons than simply sharpening their claws. For one thing it is instintcual. It serves to mark territory as they have some sort of scent glands in their paws. They will scratch as part of their daily routine (and cat's love routine rituals). It also feels good, as it is a type of exercise, and probably relieves stress.

Each of my cats has favourite spots in the house where they scratch, even though they don't have front claws. It doesn't appear to cause any major damage to the furniture. One favoured spot is a door frame by the kitchen. After 4 years of ghost scratching, I did notice some of the paint was being scratched off. This doesn't appear to affect Fred's paws at all. In regards to the frame, I recently touched it up with some paint. No big deal.

Check their paws once and awhile to make sure there's no soreness, just in case. If you're worried, at your next vet visit have him look at the cat's paws just to make sure they have healed properly and have no irritation.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

Also, do cats chew on things like dogs? Will they bite at baseboards, door frames, or furnature?
When they are kittens and teething there will be some but that's about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When they are kittens and teething there will be some but that's about it.
Can I avoid this by providing it with enough chew toys to keep it occupied?

Thanks for the responses.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Each of my cats has favourite spots in the house where they scratch, even though they don't have front claws. It doesn't appear to cause any major damage to the furniture. One favoured spot is a door frame by the kitchen. After 4 years of ghost scratching, I did notice some of the paint was being scratched off.
So if I were to get a declawed cat, should I still train it to use something like a scratching post? (Or maybe something not so abrasive, but something appropriate for the cat to paw at?)

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens won't chew up your furniture the way a puppy might. They tend to chew on small things left lying around, like papers, books, pens/pencils, and electrical cords. I suggest getting a cover for any electrical cords so the kitten can't electrocute himself, and put away anything that you don't want chewed, while providing plenty of toys. It isn't usually a big deal, and they do grow out of it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ what the above poster said! Electrical cables are for some reason highly attractive to kittens, probably because they have a soft rubbery feel. A cover is best, but alternatives like putting bitter apple spray on them, or vinegar, can make them taste bad so they leave them alone. They do chew things, especially when teething, but won't be taking bitemarks out of your furniture, it's more things like cables, pens, paper, small objects. You have to make sure they can't get hold of anything they could swallow whole, or break parts off and swallow them

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They tend to chew on small things left lying around, like papers, books, pens/pencils, and electrical cords
So I don't have to worry about doorframes and baseboard corners? I only ask because I'm moving into a brand new home and don't want it getting chewed up by a kitten.

Thanks for all the responses!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, declawed cats still scratch. Gizmo has three scraching posts, which she uses daily.
She also loves to 'use' the side of the mattress, one of my pillows, and the back of an antique rocker as 'scratching posts' so unpolitically correct as it may seem, I know I made the right decision by deciding to adopt a declawed cat.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So if I were to get a declawed cat, should I still train it to use something like a scratching post? (Or maybe something not so abrasive, but something appropriate for the cat to paw at?)
My declawed cats paw at the floor and a favorite spot on a chair, constantly. It's like they never had their claws removed.

I also wanted to say thanks for considering getting an already declawed cat. There are so many out there that need homes - many are also older cats who aren't adopted as often as the young cats and kittens. All 3 of mine (we only have 2 now) were adopted as seniors that had been previously declawed (the youngest was 7), and they have all been just wonderful.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She also loves to 'use' the side of the mattress, one of my pillows, and the back of an antique rocker as 'scratching posts'
Does this do any damage to your stuff, or is it harmless pawing?

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Does this do any damage to your stuff, or is it harmless pawing?
As an add on to my previous post, nothing happens to my floor or chair - no damage at all! I'm sure if they paw at those areas for 10 years, the color will fade over time... but to me, that's not of particular concern.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So I don't have to worry about doorframes and baseboard corners? I only ask because I'm moving into a brand new home and don't want it getting chewed up by a kitten.

Thanks for all the responses!
I don't think so. IMO, a kitten's mouth is to small to make chewing on doorframes or baseboards possible.