Multi-quoting, what does that mean?

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried clicking on it because I wanted to respond to a post and quote parts of it, then respond "inline," but when I clicked on it, nothing much happened. The multi-quote icon got a red background behind it, nothing else. I looked in the FAQs and didn't see anything. Can someone enlighten me here? Thanks!

Linda

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The multi-quote button is used when you want to quote several posts in one reply. You click on the multi-quote button for each of the posts you want to quote, and when you are ready to compose your reply, you click on the reply button as usual. Your edit screen will contain all of the quoted posts, and you can put your comments wherever you want -- before them, after them or in between them.

Originally Posted by linda_of_pgff

I tried clicking on it because I wanted to respond to a post and quote parts of it, then respond "inline," but when I clicked on it, nothing much happened.
I think, from what you've written, that what you were wanting to do was split one post into sections and reply to the sections separately. There isn't a special feature that facilitates that. What you need to do, is what I have done with your post, i.e. quote it and then, in the edit screen, insert the necessary codes to close and open quotes at the points where you want to split it. You'll see them enclosed in [square brackets], and can simply copy and paste them into the spots you want.

Originally Posted by linda_of_pgff

The multi-quote icon got a red background behind it, nothing else. I looked in the FAQs and didn't see anything. Can someone enlighten me here? Thanks!

Linda
Hope that helps.