new cat or not?

shaun8725

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I'm having a problem.. I want to bring a new cat in our home. We have a male 7 year-old Turkish Angora but we don't know how he'll react to a new cat. On a count he never been outside or around another cat. But He always talking to this cat outside every morning and night. Me and my boyfriend was thinking about get a female cat because another male cat he would feel intimadated by another male. some people said no.. but I don't know. What should we do?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shaun8725

Ok, I'm having a problem.. I want to bring a new cat in our home. We have a male 7 year-old Turkish Angora but we don't know how he'll react to a new cat. On a count he never been outside or around another cat. But He's always talking to this cat outside every morning and night. We and my boyfriend was thinking about get a female cat because another male cat he would feel intimadated by another male. some people said no.. but I don't know. What should we do?
I would first look into fostering a cat....check with a local rescue group for a cat friendly cat. Remember to keep the cat in a seperate room and ensure that the cat is up to date on all shots and spayed/neutered. Use the introduction thread as your guide on how to introduce the foster to your own cat.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

It is normal for the process to take several weeks and it is also normal for your cat to at first be upset by the presence of a new cat. If it goes well...I would look into adopting a cat...make sure that you get a "trial" period to ensure that everything is going smoothly.

As far as male versus female...that doesn't matter as much as finding a cat that matches your cat's personality. Also, at 7 years of age...I would be looking for a cat that is similiar in age. A kitten can be intimidating or even exhausting to an older cat.

Good Luck

Katie

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you are going to get another, it should be a kitten. You truely don't know how another cat is going to effect him and a mature cat is much more intimidating and threatening when introduced. He may talk to another through a window, but at this point it is established between the 2 that there is a window between them, like a cat teasing a dog behind a window or fence! Inside his home is another story.......