Cat Agility at the shows

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of this "new thing"? The CFA show we are going to is having a cat agility - like the dogs - they jump over jumps, go thru tunnels and climb up/down steps.

Its kinda cool looking. I'll have to take pictures. CFA website has some videos of it if anyone is interested.

Keno (our lab) is trained in agility and I was joking about training Charlie for agility. The difference in the 2 is that the cats are lured by a feather toy to do the jumping/climbing, etc.

Here's the website to check out.

http://www.cfafelineagility.741.com/

Check out the video clips at the bottom
The even have an ocicat doing it.....

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen this at a couple of TICA shows. Very intereresting and fun to watch. I am not positive, but I believe it was called I-Cat, but I don't quite remember.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of it but not seen it in person... i have taught Zoey some basics with stuff at home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky, how did you train at home for the basics? What did you set up?

This is Charlie's first show - not sure if he will be shown after this
and he's a 4 month old kitten, so no sense in putting him in the agility ring when he's not even been to a show

But I'm interested in it for the future - even if its just to "show off" to friends as to what a smart cat he is

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep it's I-Cat at the TICA shows. I've entered my kittens before. Lots of fun, but they need to be able to focus on the toy they're chasing. Nervous kitties need not apply.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to the I-cat website.

http://catagility.com/

Several years ago I helped set one of these courses up at a show with the ladies that created it. Was very interesting, the cats loved it and the spectators were just amazed that cats would do this sort of thing. The local news crews came and filmed it and played the clips on their news shows all weekend long. One of my kittens, Kodiak, got his 15 mins of fame that weekend!
It's very educational for "joe public" who thinks cats just sit around and aren't fun.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sharky, how did you train at home for the basics? What did you set up?

This is Charlie's first show - not sure if he will be shown after this
and he's a 4 month old kitten, so no sense in putting him in the agility ring when he's not even been to a show

But I'm interested in it for the future - even if its just to "show off" to friends as to what a smart cat he is
I clean off the coffee table ( she goes up and runs down into the "tunnel( a cat scratcher that is long and house shaped then she goes around her tall "regular"" poll scather .... in my living room ...,,, never thought of feathers I just walk alongside her

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of it actually at shows but I have heard of cat agility like to do at home.
I think they should do lure coursing with cats, too! That'd be fun to watch...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the 2 links above for the videos - one is CFA, other is TICA - both are pretty cool