All of a sudden...(moving her bowls all around)

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dulcinea (our spoiled little calico
) has started moving her bowls around the kitchen floor and dumping her dry food (some of it) out and cuffing it around the kitchen. She spills her water bowl...and I'm afraid that someone (like me) is going to get up some night and break their neck on the kitchen floor when slippers meet a puddle.
What to do? Why this sudden behavior change? There's no other place for her food really...and she eats VERY well and seems to enjoy her food at lot. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Fr. Gregg

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Fr. Gregg,

Its possible that she could be trying to bury her food. An instinct in cats. Mine do not always do this, but every once in a while will. If you get her heavier food and water bowls, that should prevent her from spilling it.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try a water filter fountain. My cats find the mini waterfall very entertaining, as well as thirst quenching. Sounds like your cat is enjoying making a sport out of her food, much like playing with a dead mouse after it has been caught!
You could also try putting the bowls on a plastic boot matt with raised edges, so the water doesn't go everywhere.
Here's a photo of my filter fountain.
[/IMG]

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration! Uno has always tried to bury his food or simply move it to a more desired location. I finally had to get bowls that he couldn't move, I got them from Fosters and Smith they are a set of two that sit in a wire frame with rubber tips on the end, so he cannot move them at all. We moved into our new house a week ago and he has yet to try and move them here, but I only give it time before he is at it again. As far as the water bowl is concerned I am not sure about that one, kinda strange. Good luck and we will keep our fingers crossed you stay on your feet!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think she sounds lonely, and in need of a kitty companion. From this and another post I read, I think she may need some feline interaction.

Anybody else think this?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Personally, I think she sounds lonely, and in need of a kitty companion. From this and another post I read, I think she may need some feline interaction.

Anybody else think this?
That is a great possibility, especially since this behavior just started "all of the sudden", perhaps out of boredom.