Fitness studios/Gyms

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I faxed my parents last night and told them that i need to excerisize and that i will need new sports gear, and if they will pay for my membership. So now i have a few questions!

What kind of sports clothes will i need? How do I know where to get a good sports bra? and how do I know that the shoes I will buy are good enough to go running/doing works out in?

I actually have a friend who has a gym membership and i would like to join hers, but what are the pros and cons? is there anything i really need to look out for?

And advice would be great.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great Idea yours Fran!
Good luck!!!
the Excersice is needed for every age of the person!

I practice joggin by my own and of course nothing special clothes about it...

))))))))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((((((((((
Sending good vibes for you have strong forces to you can reach this marvellous personal Goal!!!

Go Fran Go!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must be very careful about wiping the machines down before you use them. A client of mine got a nasty staph infection from someone else's sweat on a machine. She had to have 3 large chunks cut out of her back to get it all. They had to do that because it was the kind that is resistant to antibiotics, and is usually spread in hospitals.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Krazykat, that is awful
I never go on a machine if the person doesn't wipe it...or I wipe it first. Some people are too gross

Fran, you need some GOOD shoes. Don't get them as some discount store. Go to an athletic store and actually ask the salesperson for advice. If your going to be doing general workouts, then you could probably get some crosstrainers. I have Nike Shox, and they are great!! Shoes are the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.

I just wear snug yoga type pants to the gym, and just a regular "wifebeater" style tanktop. I should really be springin for sweat absorbption tops, but I haven't yet.

Sports bra is another thing you shouldn't really skimp on, especially if you are "busty". Again, go to a sports store and ask the advice of a female employee. Those should be so supportive that nothing goes anywhere when you jump around..LOL..Also, try and get one that is good for sweating too..that area of your body produces alot of sweat beleive it or not

I'm glad to hear you are trying to improve your health Fran!!
You won't regret it at all!! It makes you feel so good about yourself and it soooo good for you!

Good luck!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Wow Krazykat, that is awful
I never go on a machine if the person doesn't wipe it...or I wipe it first. Some people are too gross

Fran, you need some GOOD shoes. Don't get them as some discount store. Go to an athletic store and actually ask the salesperson for advice. If your going to be doing general workouts, then you could probably get some crosstrainers. I have Nike Shox, and they are great!! Shoes are the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.

I just wear snug yoga type pants to the gym, and just a regular "wifebeater" style tanktop. I should really be springin for sweat absorbption tops, but I haven't yet.

Sports bra is another thing you shouldn't really skimp on, especially if you are "busty". Again, go to a sports store and ask the advice of a female employee. Those should be so supportive that nothing goes anywhere when you jump around..LOL..Also, try and get one that is good for sweating too..that area of your body produces alot of sweat beleive it or not

I'm glad to hear you are trying to improve your health Fran!!
You won't regret it at all!! It makes you feel so good about yourself and it soooo good for you!

Good luck!
Make sure you always wipe down the machines... I remember one time when I was at the gym, I was waiting to use a machine and some guy before me SNEEZED all over it, and didn't wipe it down!
I just about died, but I cleaned it off for a good 10 minutes before I used it after him!

I have Nike Air Maxx's - and they are awesome shoes, really good support and super comfy! Plus, they are really cute

I usually just wear Yoga type pants, like Natalie said as well, and a fitted t-shirt/wifebeater/sports bra.

Have fun at the gym!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you there, I don't go to a gym and do nothing.

I do walk two miles a day when it is pretty outside, I recently bought me a treadmill so I can walk when it is raining or too cold outside.

I only walk now because I have bad bones and I am trying to make them strong before I get too old.

Before that I was one of the laziest people alive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I can't help you there, I don't go to a gym and do nothing.

I do walk two miles a day when it is pretty outside, I recently bought me a treadmill so I can walk when it is raining or too cold outside.

I only walk now because I have bad bones and I am trying to make them strong before I get too old.

Before that I was one of the laziest people alive.
So am I, but it is really affecting my health, so i need to start before its too late.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Fran, on making the decision to join the gym. I did that last week - is there a women's only gym near you? The one I go to is great, they have a great price that includes advice on diet, one on one personal training, assessments every 6 weeks - that makes me want to do work LOL!

I agree about wiping down the equipment - here it is the law, you cannot go to the gym unless you have a sweat towel.

I agree with the good advice Natalie and Kenz said - its great.

Good luck with going to the gym and most importantly, have fun!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

is there a women's only gym near you?
Womens only!?!? What are you supposed to look at?

For girls like me and Fran, the hot boys keep us motivated
...am I right Fran??

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the clothes depend on what I am doing. I am kind of "busty" so I have a hard time finding a good high impact bra. The low impacts (like for when I am lifting but not doing cardio/stepping/ jumping around) are easy. Also if I am lifting then I wear capris to keep muscles warm. If I am doing any kind of cardio I wear shorts and small top, the idea being to look at the flab to keep myself motivated!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Congratulations Fran, on making the decision to join the gym. I did that last week - is there a women's only gym near you? The one I go to is great, they have a great price that includes advice on diet, one on one personal training, assessments every 6 weeks - that makes me want to do work LOL!

I agree about wiping down the equipment - here it is the law, you cannot go to the gym unless you have a sweat towel.

I agree with the good advice Natalie and Kenz said - its great.

Good luck with going to the gym and most importantly, have fun!
There is one in the City, and its not reputable, because they charge you more than what they say, and after a years membership they keep on taking money off your account even if you write a letter.
Actually when i went there 2 years ago they werent interested in having me as a customer!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...am I right Fran??
Yeah, the one im joining up at is right next to the university campus! Hopefully ill pick up lots of hunkas!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur about the having good shoes!! I stick to brand that make shoes specifically for women's feet (like Ryka). A cross trainer type would be good and basically you get what you pay for but there can be deals if you buy "last years"
models. Get lots of socks too and at least two sport bras-there are the types that give you the "uniboob" look they might be ok if lifting weights or riding a bike in a gym for you wants a type that provides more support if you are going to do higher impact exercising. When I was a gym rat I wore a sports bra and either tank top/tshirt and shorts(something stretchy). In the winter I would bring sweat pants to wear home. I good gym bag is needed too. Good luck!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to be a party pooper, but do you really have to join a fitness club to get some exercise, especially since your finances are already stretched? There are cheaper alternatives, like walking, riding a bike, or jogging, where you won't need too much in the way of a wardrobe or shoes. The fresh air would probably do you good, too.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...am I right Fran??
Heck...you don't need to be with someone to still check things out

Fran, I just wear a sports bra, old T-shirt and yoga pants to the gym.

My sister just bought me an anti-sweat outfit for working out. Somehow your sweat is absorbed to the surface and evaporates so that your clothes don't stink.

I haven't worn it yet as I haven't been to the gym regularly lately

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My advice (FWIW) is to not spend a lot of money on gym clothing/shoes. A large number of folks that join a gym/fitness program go religiously for a few weeks to a couple months then quit. That's a chunk of money to put out and then not continue going.

I don't know what it is like in Germany but the health clubs here get you to sign a contract for a period of time and if you decide you don't want to continue you must still pay the monthly fees.

I joined one a number of years ago and it was great until they did a big promotion to the local high school and then whenever I went there was no equipment available for use. I spent most of my time there waiting for the high school kids to finish their chats and basically just taking up the machines and not doing much. Needless to say, I stopped going but had to pay the fees for the remainder of my contract.

Now, if I need exercise I do it on my own at home.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I hate to be a party pooper, but do you really have to join a fitness club to get some exercise, especially since your finances are already stretched? There are cheaper alternatives, like walking, riding a bike, or jogging, where you won't need too much in the way of a wardrobe or shoes. The fresh air would probably do you good, too.
Yes i know but the point is, I wont do it alone.
And since i dont want to pay for it, im getting my parents to!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may say you won't do it alone, but what is to stop you thinking 'oh I can't be bothered to go today' / 'I am too tired' etc, if you don't have the motivation to stay at the program you set up you will never succeed at it. You need to WANT to workout

I find I am more likely to work out at home as I can do it on my schedule, I have a TV in front of the elliptical and will watch CSI while I get some exercise in, that way there is no excuse of its too cold to go out, its late already etc

As far as your original post, like everyone said, good trainers, good sports bra and whatever you feel most comfortable in exercising as far as clothes

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Yes i know but the point is, I wont do it alone.
And since i dont want to pay for it, im getting my parents to!
Fran, if you are not going to go alone, then you really shouldn't commit to a membership. What are the chances that your friend will want to go everytime you do or vice versa? People that join together IMO just get all motivated at the beginning, but if one slacks off, the other will too, and that is NOT how you stay motivated. You will end up wasting your money as you will stop going after a couple of weeks if that.

The owner of my gym told me once that only 20% of people who buy a membership actually stay members for more than 3 months and the rest QUIT before the 3 months... only 20% stay!!!

I actually prefer going alone to the gym because I don't have to babysit my friend, and can do my workout without 20 questions.

If you NEED a friend to go with..I would reconsider. You can do it alone anyway!!! YOU GO GIRL!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Fran, if you are not going to go alone, then you really shouldn't commit to a membership. What are the chances that your friend will want to go everytime you do or vice versa? People that join together IMO just get all motivated at the beginning, but if one slacks off, the other will too, and that is NOT how you stay motivated. You will end up wasting your money as you will stop going after a couple of weeks if that.

The owner of my gym told me once that only 20% of people who buy a membership actually stay members for more than 3 months and the rest QUIT before the 3 months... only 20% stay!!!

I actually prefer going alone to the gym because I don't have to babysit my friend, and can do my workout without 20 questions.

If you NEED a friend to go with..I would reconsider. You can do it alone anyway!!! YOU GO GIRL!!
Nooo I meant i wont go alone out in the park ect, i rather go to a Gym. Where i live there are way too many weirdos and i will not go for a walk in the dark alone.

I am not able to sign up the membership untill all my blood work is done. Anyway, but in the meanwhile my friend has a dog, and she has to work alot so i told her i can take it for long walks as i need the excersize and the dog gets to be happy.

I have put up flyers for dog sitting and cat sitting, for extra money so hopefully someone calls!