Now we have ringworm!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago I noticed Ellie had a bald patch on her neck but since she had been fighting with Wellington I did not give it much thought, other than to look at it and see there was no bleeding. But I have developed an itchy patch on my neck and the doctor this morning gave me the glad news that it is ringworm! At least it is not melanoma, which was my initial paranoidal fear. So I have ointment and tablets, and I will have to treat all the animals. I have looked at some of the threads here on it, but rather than go OTC here, I will go to the vet on Monday. Just another thing to deal with.

maki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Horses can get ringworm too... ick.

Sorry to hear you're stuck with that problem!!! I had no idea it could be transmitted to humans. What a pain in the neck (pun not really intended...).

I hope everyone heals quickly. Sending good vibes your way.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, joy!
Just what you needed, Jenny. Hope you've apprehended the thing early enough that it won't be a long haul getting done with it.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, not exactly what you need. I understand that Ringworm is quite contagious so I hope no one else gets it.
vibes that the meds will work and everyone will be clear of infection soon.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that it will run its course quickly, Jenny. You don't supposed you could have gotten it from being close to Biscotte', do you?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, you are being tested for something I'm certain. Goodness, your move to France has been fraught with troubles. Sending hugs and get better (all of you) soon vibes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking back over where it could have come from. Ellie has a bald patch on her neck that appeared about three weeks ago. I thought it was from fighting, as the cats are very stir-crazy from being inside. But now I suspect ringworm - they are all going to the vet tomorrow so I will find out then. That predates me touching Biscotte or having the long grooming sessions with Maisie in the clinic. But they will all have to be treated, and I dare not continue touching Biscotte or the ponies until it is sorted. I certainly can't bring Biscotte inside for the moment.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny...have you read up on how to clean the interior of everything?
Ringworm can be really tough to control.
If you do a search in health...
there is a lot of info about how to clean.
You and your tribe will be in my thoughts.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through ringworm when I got Bakker. The vet diagnosed with a check of his hair!! That was my first and so far only experience with ringworm. My vet prescribed a terribly expensive antifungal liquid with a different dose for each cat 2/day for 4 weeks. That was loads of fun!!! Plus myself, Neil, my mom and my sister got ringworm too. We treated ours with a anti-fungal cream. I used bleach and water and cleaned the hard surfaces of the house and washed the blankets etc... I closed off a couple of the bedrooms too until it cleared up. I haven't had any problems since.
Good luck-hope its not ringworm!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh joy! I, too, know ringworm all too well. I've tried Ketoconazole, Fulvicin(Grisfulvin?), Conoftie cream, anti-fungal baths.... I really hope it clears up quickly for all of you!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is definitely ringworm - both my doctor and the vet have confirmed it. So far Ellie is the only cat with actual fur loss, on her neck and ear. I am so stupid - a couple of weeks ago when I noticed she had a bald patch, ringworm went through my mind, but I dismissed it because none of the cats have been out for four months. Anyway, I now have a special shampoo for the cats, that I have to use every three days for four weeks (putting off the evil moment by being on here!), cream and tablets for me, and we will see how we get on. And thanks about the cleaning tips - I have already started on that!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you realise that we will want lots of pictures of wet cats
Good luck.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider Lamisil. I used it with Tammy-Timmy. She has never had a re-occurance.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are not stupid by ignoring it at first Jenny,
your mind probably went into unconscious denial.
No one wants to deal with ring worm.

From what I have learn about it,
you just have to keep after it until it is totally eradicated.
Lots of determined vibes are coming your way.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor gave me Lamisil and the vet said I could use it on Ellie, as she is hte only one with a bald patch so far. I took some pix today of all four of them, looking so miserable after their shampoo - I was told not to rub them dry so I just had to turn the heat right up and leave them to dry naturally. I will post when I have uploaded.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenny....I hated doing the baths evert 3 days! It just makes you want to
when the kits look at you like "NOOOO!" every single time.

I noticed Damtia had hair loss once. She had had ringworm 2x already & it crossed my mind, but I dismissed it. Four weeks later I realized it was rigworm. Don't feelbad for not noticing it, I did th same thing.