What do you put in your spaghetti sauce???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend Renae and I were talking yesterday about spaghetti. We were saying how everyone puts something a little different in their sauce. My favorite sauce ever is my best friends mom's sauce! It's AMAZING!!!!!
So i was wondering....what do you put in yours? I am constantly changing recipes and switching things up
Tonight I made spaghetti sauce (so i don't have to cook tomorrow on my day off
) I put Kraft's Zesty Italian spaghetti dinner in there *left their noodles out- i like the really thin spaghetti and i cook mine al dente* I put 1.5lbs of 90% lean ground beef (i try to get the leanest i can find) cooked that up until it was brown....then i added garlic powder, sage, italian seasoning, season all, oregano, the kraft zesty italian packet, 1 six ounce can of organic tomato paste *it was on sale for 50 cents!
* 12 oz of water to it salt and pepper. After i fixed it all up i added parmesan too
/ *normally i add onion and garlic to mine as well....but i didn't have any tonight. sometimes i'll add cheese to mine too but i didn't tonight. I will also cut up one little Roma tomato sometimes and add small pieces of that too my sauce as well if i have any
(i'm not a huge fan of mushrooms or peppers in my sauce
) It was sooooo deliscious and meaty! I can't wait for dinner tomorrow
/ What do you put in your sauce???
(when i'm lazy- i love Ragu's Mamma's Meat Sauce or Classico's Traditional Sweet Basil
)

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used to make all this stuff from scratch but then when i started working, I do a lot of cheating but I use Newman's own in the ground beef after I browned it and just add pepper and it turns out great.

From scratch, i put bay leaves, oregano, herbs de provence if i have any, thyme, sage, pepper, salt.

That's all i remember from the top of my head but i used to make it with real tomatoes..fun fun..

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add onions, garlic, red wine, mushrooms, yellow and orange sweet peppers, bay leaves, ground beef, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and italian seasoning.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cheat and use the sauce from the bottle.
But I usually put mushrooms, onions, garlic, either hamburger or sausage, and sometimes green olives or green peppers. I love angel hair pasta. Its so much better that big fat spaghetti noodles.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
garlic, onion powder, oregeno, bay leaves, thyme, little chili powder, salt, pepper, ground beef, and spicey tobasco sausage. along with the usual, paste, and water, yum

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sitting here eating leftover spaghetti for lunch. For the sauce, I used a quart of tomato juice (from our garden this summer), tomato paste, a tablespoon of olive oil, a large onion, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, paprika, and a dash of salt. I made up little meatballs, too, using lean ground beef, an egg, bread crumbs, an onion, and Italian seasoning. I brown them in the frying pan, and then let them simmer in the sauce.
That's my "basic" recipe. I often add things like mushrooms, peppers, Italian sausage or pepperoni, though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what type of sauce I'm making.

Here is one of my spaghetti sauce recipes:

SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA SAUCE

1 Lbs. lean ground beef
1 clove garlic - minced
1 onion - chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper - chopped fine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes - with juice
6 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

-Crumble and brown ground beef. Drain off all fat.
-Turn beef into colander, and rinse with cold water.
-Wipe out frying pan.
-Pat meat dry with paper towel; return to pan.
-Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and cook over medium-low heat, stirring as necessary until veggies are soft.
-Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
-Add seasonings and simmer until hot throughout.

NOTES : Adjust seasonings to taste and serve over pasta with low fat Parmesan sprinkled over. Low Fat!

For Lasagna, double the batch.

If I want meatless sauce I omit the meat and add egg plant or tofu or just leave it out altogether.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start off by sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ing some garlic in some olive oil in a wide skillet. Once the garlic becomes fragrant put in a can of crushed tomatoes and then one tablespoon of tomato paste. Then put in dried: garlic, onion, salt, pepper, basil, red wine, and a dash of hot sauce. That's an amazing base you can add meat and veggies to taste.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When making tomato sauce, I usually fry up some garlic and onion, maybe some vegetables like mushrooms or peppers if I have them, maybe some herbs, salt and pepper, then throw in a large can of whole tomatoes. Juice and all. I mash the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon in the pan and let that simmer for about 15 min.
Sometimes I throw in a can of tuna, some black olives and capers for Puttanesca sauce.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont eat meat so I use a vegan type of spaghetti sauce. Usually some with onions or green peppers and I put spicy "sausage" (soyrizo) in the sauce. This gives the spaghetti a bit of a kick.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine changes every time I make it but my base sauce is pretty much the same as lookingglass, minus the hot sauce, I pretty much always have mushrooms and peppers in mine too

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm the only person that does this, but I put pineapple, itallian sausage, onions and bell peppers in my spaghetti sauce. Add a little ground red pepper for some ka-pow. First got the idea from pizza with pineapple and itallian sausage (probably another thing that I only do).

lottomagicz4941

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I add onions, garlic, red wine, mushrooms, yellow and orange sweet peppers, bay leaves, ground beef, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and italian seasoning.
That is almost what I put in except I don't put in red wine perhpas I should start. Also don't add additional salt. Use to but can't really tell much difference skiping it. Green pepper someimes instead of your yellow and orange.

Okay perhpas we aren't as similar as first thougth. I also add some cyanne(sp may be a tad off but I think you know what I mean.)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make it very simply. I usually make my Sicilian gram's recipe for her marinara sauce - tomato paste, bit of diced onion sauteed in olive oil (this first, then add the paste), certain amount of water and a large can of whole tomatos (Italian plum if I can find a brand of these). Add 2-3 fresh basil leaves and cook down. Just divine.

If in a hurry, I will saute a bit of tomato paste, add chunky fresh or canned tomatoes, fresh basil and red wine and cook for about 30 minutes...this is quite good too!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It depends on what type of sauce I'm making.

Here is one of my spaghetti sauce recipes:

SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA SAUCE

1 Lbs. lean ground beef
1 clove garlic - minced
1 onion - chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper - chopped fine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes - with juice
6 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

-Crumble and brown ground beef. Drain off all fat.
-Turn beef into colander, and rinse with cold water.
-Wipe out frying pan.
-Pat meat dry with paper towel; return to pan.
-Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and cook over medium-low heat, stirring as necessary until veggies are soft.
-Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
-Add seasonings and simmer until hot throughout.

NOTES : Adjust seasonings to taste and serve over pasta with low fat Parmesan sprinkled over. Low Fat!

For Lasagna, double the batch.

If I want meatless sauce I omit the meat and add egg plant or tofu or just leave it out altogether.
That sounds similar to mine

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use browned and chopped mild Italian sausage (turkey sausage)
Add 1 or 2 cans crushed tomatoes
Abt. 1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine (depends on how many cans of tomatoes!)
1-2 sm cans sliced mushrooms (optional)
Garlic
Italian seasoning (or crushed bay leaf, oregano, basil)

It's yummy! I really think the sausage makes all the difference. Much better than burger meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone's recipes sound sooooo deliscious!!
I am eating my spaghetti now and it's sooo yummy!
I will have to try some different ingredients everyone recommended the next time i make it!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I make it very simply. I usually make my Sicilian gram's recipe for her marinara sauce - tomato paste, bit of diced onion sauteed in olive oil (this first, then add the paste), certain amount of water and a large can of whole tomatos (Italian plum if I can find a brand of these). Add 2-3 fresh basil leaves and cook down. Just divine.

If in a hurry, I will saute a bit of tomato paste, add chunky fresh or canned tomatoes, fresh basil and red wine and cook for about 30 minutes...this is quite good too!
This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make all of mine "from scratch" at tomato harvest time in Aug/Sept.
I think I use the same thing that Fran has but then I will simmer and add onions, garlic, basil, Zuchini, peppers, salt, pepper, olive oil, red wine, oregano, some parm cheese and a italian sausage/ground beef mix. I ladle in jars and freeze.