Royal Canin SO

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested I put my female who just had surgery today on Royal canin SO. Is this a permanent thing? She was xrayed 3 weeks ago and the vet said he found 4 bladder stones. When the vet called me today, she said she removed only 2 stones, and the rest was really really small which were very grainy. So I am assuming the other two dissolved with the water change. We have really hard water, and we switched to Distilled water only, and I am assuming that that may have helped dissolve the other two.

Anywas my question is this Will she be on Royal Canin the rest of her life? She is 2.5 half years old, and is otherwise healthy. Is there a chance that she can go off of the RX food and on to a special diet from petsmart?

Stones will be sent off for testing and we should get results back soon.

I also heard that Royal Canin So is a SHORT TERM diet only is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to decide what the best option is.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
s/o i think is to dissolve the stones so yes it would be short term... I am NOT a vet and am going off memory

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on what my 2 vets have told me (one at the emergency and our regular vet), Royal Canin Urinary SO is equivalent to Hill's C/D, which is a maintenance diet for cats with urinary tract disease. Although it does dissolve struvite uroliths, it also prevents the formation of new crystals and thus, is appropriate for a maintenance diet. Hill's S/D is only a short-term diet that is formulated to completely dissolve struvite uroliths, and can only be used for 4-6 weeks after a major occurrence. Thereafter, you have to switch your cats to the appropriate maintenance Hill's formulation or Urinary SO.

There are no pet store brands to date that have the clinical feeding trials to backup the claim of crystal dissolution and prevention, so you're probably stuck with RX foods if you want to air on the side of caution.

Food specifications:
http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2...r/pdf/SO30.pdf

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carm

Based on what my 2 vets have told me (one at the emergency and our regular vet), Royal Canin Urinary SO is equivalent to Hill's C/D, which is a maintenance diet for cats with urinary tract disease. Although it does dissolve struvite uroliths, it also prevents the formation of new crystals and thus, is appropriate for a maintenance diet. Hill's S/D is only a short-term diet that is formulated to completely dissolve struvite uroliths, and can only be used for 4-6 weeks after a major occurrence. Thereafter, you have to switch your cats to the appropriate maintenance Hill's formulation or Urinary SO.

There are no pet store brands to date that have the clinical feeding trials to backup the claim of crystal dissolution and prevention, so you're probably stuck with RX foods if you want to air on the side of caution.

Food specifications:
http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2...r/pdf/SO30.pdf
There are several OTC products that have been clinically tested to prevent ....

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

There are several OTC products that have been clinically tested to prevent ....
Thanks for the correction, Sharky!
I meant that many pet store brands can't attest to the crystal dissolution aspect of it. Prevention's just a matter of keeping the urinary pH in the optimal range.

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladybass0711

My vet suggested I put my female who just had surgery today on Royal canin SO. Is this a permanent thing? She was xrayed 3 weeks ago and the vet said he found 4 bladder stones. When the vet called me today, she said she removed only 2 stones, and the rest was really really small which were very grainy. So I am assuming the other two dissolved with the water change. We have really hard water, and we switched to Distilled water only, and I am assuming that that may have helped dissolve the other two.

Anywas my question is this Will she be on Royal Canin the rest of her life? She is 2.5 half years old, and is otherwise healthy. Is there a chance that she can go off of the RX food and on to a special diet from petsmart?

Stones will be sent off for testing and we should get results back soon.

I also heard that Royal Canin So is a SHORT TERM diet only is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to decide what the best option is.
My holistic vet told me distilled water is very bad to give to cats or any animal for any period of time. My persian was on the Royal Canin S/O and it did wonders for his crystals, but it's not a lifetime food I was told. He should only be on it long enough to get rid of the problem. Just wanted to tell you what I've learned, so maybe it'll help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why is distilled water very bad to give cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladybass0711

why is distilled water very bad to give cats?
No minerals and totally basic ph ...