So Many Cats???

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a questions for all you multi cat owners out there. How do you do it???

I am talking to the people with four or more cats. Don't get me wrong I love cats and mine are like my children. But I can't imagine all the cat pan cleaning, and brushing, nail clipping, feeding. Not to mention the house cleaning. My two babies are very clean, but there are still plenty of dust balls in the corners, and cat hair on every blanket in the house. My Simon has long black hair and I could brush him everyday for an hour and he would still leave hair around the house.

I have always know that cat people are a little different and that's what we like about one another. Just thought it would be fun to hear everyones crazy stories about how they take care of a house full of furry children.

Laurie

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
once you get to a certain number, its all gravy after that
last year at this time I only had 2 cats, yes everyone you did read that right
and my house felt empty. I just love having lots of cats around, and as far as the litter boxes? I have 7 and its really no bother, and cat hair? what cat hair?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

once you get to a certain number, its all gravy after that
last year at this time I only had 2 cats, yes everyone you did read that right
and my house felt empty. I just love having lots of cats around, and as far as the litter boxes? I have 7 and its really no bother, and cat hair? what cat hair?
you are too funny! but 7 litter boxes?!?!
I don't think I'd make it through that.......

a good thing about so many cats? ONE of them is bound to love you and want your attention.....
(unlike my 2 spoiled diva's that want nothing to do with me!
)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

you are too funny! but 7 litter boxes?!?!
I don't think I'd make it through that.......

a good thing about so many cats? ONE of them is bound to love you and want your attention.....
(unlike my 2 spoiled diva's that want nothing to do with me!
)
and after my losses in December I cleaned out 3, so I used to have 10

that can be a bad thing though too, especially if 2 cats that don't exactly get along decide they want some attention at the same time. Meowmy gets caught in the middle of the ensuing fight- OUCH!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I now have 4 and we have a pretty good routine down.
Just 3 litterboxes
because I don't know where else to put another one (which means that 4 cats is my limit). The only hard part is clipping nails, and that's because I'm just not all that coordinated so I need my husband's help, and getting HIM to cooperate is actually more difficult than the cats!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like having the cats around because how they act. They crack me up how they act with each other and me. They are such snotty snooty little creatures. I have 5 litter boxes and its not that bad cleaning them. I just scoop daily and that takes me usually 30 minutes tops. They dont really require that much attention. That is except for Nazumi he's always getting into stuff and terrorizing the other animals. So Im always running around after him. Hes like a baby.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it only takes me about 15 mins to do my 7, but then I don't have a Lava Girl in the way I guess
sometimes I skip a day
and then it can take me up to a half hour

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats and only 3 litter boxes.So, there's not a whole lot of cleaning thankfully.......but enough.And the hair, I gotta admit does tend to get on EVERYTHING including food.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 huge litter box, and it's Jeremy's sole chore.
I should vacuum more often, but I don't (our vacuum sucks, and not in a good way).
I brush whoever wants to be cuddled, though 4 of them are shorthaired so that takes like 2 minutes each.
Ivory is long haird, but has a single under coatr, no guard hairs, so she's tangle free and sheds very little.
My NFC gets combed for as long as she'll put up with it, usually about 10 minutes a day.

4 are declawed, so I only worry about back claws, which is usually only about 5 minutes once a month.
Of the two with claws, one does not mind at all and will lie there quietly while I clip, takes about 2 minutes.
The other dislikes it, but is easy enough to handle on my own, at her age though, her nails don't grow very fast, so I only clip when I can hear that she's starting to stick slightly to the carpet, takes about 2 minutes.

I do not work outside of the house, so it's all ongoing and gives me stuff to do.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have two now but have lived with more when I was younger. You get used to it, you love everyone of them and wouldn't have it any other way

Besides, I've learned there's worse things than litter boxes to clean up after, try having a bunch of reptiles to clean up after

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

it only takes me about 15 mins to do my 7, but then I don't have a Lava Girl in the way I guess
sometimes I skip a day
and then it can take me up to a half hour
Yeah its kinda hard working around my belly. Then attemtping to get up and then back down at each litter box. LOL

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got 5 cats. The hardest part is dividing them up for meals. Everyone gets a different food. I spend like 15 mins a day scooping 8 boxes....why do I have 8 boxes for only 5 cats when Katie has way more cats than I do & one fewer boxes!?!?!? Stupid UTIs....
I rarely brush the cats as they all hate it. I clip nails 2x a month. It's not all that much trouble, really. Besides that, I love the whole houseful of "elephants" I've got!
They all are sweet & snuggly in their own way.

Katie, how on earth did you survive with only 2 cats!! I cannot imagine you with only two!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've got 5 cats. The hardest part is dividing them up for meals. Everyone gets a different food. I spend like 15 mins a day scooping 8 boxes....why do I have 8 boxes for only 5 cats when Katie has way more cats than I do & one fewer boxes!?!?!? Stupid UTIs....
I rarely brush the cats as they all hate it. I clip nails 2x a month. It's not all that much trouble, really. Besides that, I love the whole houseful of "elephants" I've got!
They all are sweet & snuggly in their own way.

Katie, how on earth did you survive with only 2 cats!! I cannot imagine you with only two!
hey, I only have 10 right now! it's not that many more!!!
only double
I really only try to brush Jinx and she goes nuts, I'm talking psycho kitty here, when I do, so that lasts about 10 seconds
and I hate to admit it but I don't really trim claws, all my babies are angels

it was rough, but one of them was my Sime, so he made sure I was never lonely

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get them used to being vacuumed (central vac of course - those beater bars would scare the dickens out of them
) Bijou loves to be vacuumed with the dust brush - it's a riot to watch him roll over so you get get him on all sides.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound hard to believe, but I have 30 cats. There are only 6 regular litter boxes, and 1 litter maid. We are getting another self cleaning litter box. The cats usually go in the backyard (its enclosed) and then we just clean it up when we do the yard.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 7 huge rubbermaid litter boxes. They are cleaned every morning. Takes about 20 minutes or so.

My dogs leave more hair around the house then all of my kitties combined.

Feeding is really a piece of cake. It just looks wild when they are all lined up and eating. That is probably the only time I question my sanity.

I honestly can't imagine not having all of them. They can be little stinkers but that's what makes them so special.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now we sit at 24 cats. I keep a list on the fridge of all the cats that are here. Every morning, each cat gets their own share of TLC depending on the cat, and depending on what he/she can tolerate. They get brushed daily, especially the long-hairs. I start them with brushing the minute they arrive here, even the bottle babies get baby brushed daily. I don't worry about their claws, they have trees and ramps in the cat enclosure they scratch on. The hard woods blunt their claws. They get fed 3 times a day. Wet food twice a day - morning and night- each one gets their own saucer to eat from.

I have 12 litterpans upstairs, and four kiddy pools in the enclosure that they use for their bathroom break. I scoop morning, noon and night. I use Stall Dry for cat litter and a special enzyme powder to break down the urine smell. Out in the enclosure, I use a special small rake to get all the solid waste and a special screen to sift the litter through.

They get flea-treated monthly with Advantage or Frontline. We do it while they are eating so they aren't stressed by the smell or the application.

Sick kitties have two options, the quarantine room upstairs, or the large walk in cage outside (in the enclosure).

All my cats are lean, healthy and happy. I do not free feed. The kibble is put down for 20 minutes three times a day then taken away. This also keeps the dogs out of their kitty food.

I have three cats that stay outside. That is their preference not mine. Cyclone, a cat i rescued years ago recently showed up after being gone for 7 years! He has reverted back to his wild ways so it will take some time before I can get close. I am not pushing him for contact. I well remember how bad it was for him the first time I trapped him and confined him. He is a cat that truly hates being indoors.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 7 cats 3 kids plus a hubby lol
i have 5 cat trays
kids and cats have breakfeast at 7 am
takes kids to school come home do housework litter trays and brush 5 of the cats, pick the kids up start doing dinner and cats dinner, clean up after dinner scoop litter trays again. brush the other 2 cats , get kids ready for bed do lunchs for the morning give cats love and play with them , watch them go nutty with the cat trees. put dry food down. then give hubby love lol , he says i love the cats more then him, hmmm i wont say nowt about that lol.
i dont trim claws as iv never needed to.
but having 7 cats is not much more work then 4-5 cats , as long as there s/n up to date with vacs , womed, fleed and in good health and loved of course , then all is good.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
opps i just got a new kitty today was told 4 months (was going in a black bag to be rid of fgs) how could i say no ?? turns out his alot older then 4 months who sprays dosnt know what a food dish is and is so skinny under all the fluffy fur . how i could **** some people. so that makes the final count of 8 cats ,
ps he will be getting netured on tuesday. that is if his well enough.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 indoor cats here plus 2 in/out and 1 out. I don't clip claws as I have tall cat trees in just about every room and they use them. I scoop daily and use litter with an desicant additive that controls smells and dries out everything. The central vac came with the new house, but I still keep a vacuum cleaner on every floor of the house to make it easier to vacuum. Even though there are only 2 humans in the house, we do about 10 loads of laundry each week - mostly blankets, pet beds and throw rugs.

I find the dog hair worse than the cat hair. You never get rid of all of it.