How often do you scoop the litter box. He insists on twice a day.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat and I got in the habit of scooping out his litter box in the morning before I left for work and then in the evening after work. Now if I get home from work and don't scoop right away, he stands back by his litter box meowing until I come and scoop it. It cracks me up how picky he is. He even watches me scoop it and add more litter as though he's making sure that I'm doing it right. How often do you scoop especially if you only have one cat?

How is he going to be when we go on vacation in a few months and I have someone come in only once a day to take care of him?

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will scoop at LEAST twice, sometimes more, depends on how much Kirra has gone. Now when she was sick last week with diaherra i was scooping 5-6 times a day. Thank goodness she is better

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had just one cat, I got away with a once a day scoop...but some kitties are particular about doing their "special" (#2) business in a separate box...so he might ease up on you if you give him a second box.

Silly question: how often are they supposed to go?
Most of my adult cats urinate twice a day and do #2 once, maybe twice. Little kittens go more often.

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats and two HUGE boxes. I scoop twice a day, sometimes more.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 kitties, 1 scoop a day! Works for us! My litter boxes aren't near our living area though.....if they were, I'd probably do it more than once a day!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our litterbox is very small, so I scoop it out at least three times a day. I got these scented "doggie" bags from the dollar store and they are perfect to scoop into and then tie shut and toss. Jaden often poos twice a day and pees like 5 times--she must really like filtered water

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

I only have one cat and I got in the habit of scooping out his litter box in the morning before I left for work and then in the evening after work. Now if I get home from work and don't scoop right away, he stands back by his litter box meowing until I come and scoop it. It cracks me up how picky he is. He even watches me scoop it and add more litter as though he's making sure that I'm doing it right.
Well of course he does! LOL !! It's his toilet and he likes it clean, clean, clean
Tis not pleasant to have to try to find a clean space to do his business in a toilet that's already filled with smelly poops. Cats are extremely clean animals.

I scoop at the very least twice a day, but I prefer to scoop 3-4 times depending on how much they go
not always a fun chore, but my babies are worth it and it also gives me peace of mind. In my experience, cats just really prefer a clean box

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add another box for your kitty then you can scoop once a day. I scoop once a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's a clean freak.

I don't mind scooping out his litter box. He's so easy to take care of compared to when we had a dog that wouldn't go outside unless we went out with him. It's so nice not having to go out in the freezing cold first thing in the morning.

When we go on vacation I'll have to get a 2nd litter box since we will have a friend come to our house once a day and I don't want our picky little one
having to go in a litter box that's not up to his expected level of clean.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine aren't too picky either which is good cuz I'm a space cadet. I do it when I remember which is usually avery 2-3 days but they have 2 extra-large boxes and one regular box.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're using flushable litter at the moment so I've been doing 2-3 times a day, especially since Reeses' BM's have been really ripe and she's had loose stools in the last few days. With our other litter, because we have a litter box that we "roll" over to deposit clumps into a tray, as long as the smell wasn't overpowering and the box didn't look crowded I was doing it every Monday and Thursday.

Which brings me to a question: To those who scoop every day where do you deposit everything? If I did it every day and couldn't flush I'd run out of plastic bags. We only bring home so many from grocery shopping

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which brings me to a question: To those who scoop every day where do you deposit everything? If I did it every day and couldn't flush I'd run out of plastic bags. We only bring home so many from grocery shopping
LOL ...I buy the plastic grocery sacks. 1000 for $12...only a bit more than a penny apiece. It's worth it to me for the sake of convenience. I never had enough bags either, and half of them would have holes from too many groceries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

The first few days after the trash has been taken out I deposit everything in plastic grocery bags before throwing away and then on the 2nd half of the week I just dump it right in with our regular trash which is in a closet. I must be lucky cuz it doesn't smell just being in there for a few days.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

LOL ...I buy the plastic grocery sacks. 1000 for $12...only a bit more than a penny apiece. It's worth it to me for the sake of convenience. I never had enough bags either, and half of them would have holes from too many groceries.
what a cute user name you have! Is it your kitties name?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and scoop twice a day, morning before I go to work, and sometime before going to bed.

Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

For some reason, I never seem to run out of grocery bags.