TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › You wonder why IT is soooo rude....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You wonder why IT is soooo rude....

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
So we're having incoming email issues right now.

Usually by the time I'm asked the same question ("is there an issue with the email?") I do the responsible thing and send an email out to everyone, basically to say I'm aware of the situation and am taking care of it.

I send the email after my 3rd question, and I get a response back from one of the users "No Kidding! I haven't had ANY emails since 5 pm yesterday".

You know what? It's an informative email for those that DON'T know. I don't need to the smart-alek response.

where's that smash freak icon?? Here it is:
post #2 of 14
To play a little Devil's Advocate...

If there is an issue with Email and you send an email to see if there is an issue with Email.. What if there is an issue with email and people aren't getting their emails how do you know they know there is an issue since they might not be getting email???

I'm just wondering...

And your right,, there's no reason for a smart aleck response,, it's uncalled for... But I do hateee IT, sorry.. We have an external IT, which is IBM I think, and then we have an internal IT.. It's like pulling teeth for one of the groups to fix the problem.. You feel like a bouncing ball when your finally off the phone with one group or another..
post #3 of 14
We feel the same way about you IT people! But we gotta have ya!
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post
We have an external IT, which is IBM I think, and then we have an internal IT.. It's like pulling teeth for one of the groups to fix the problem.. You feel like a bouncing ball when your finally off the phone with one group or another..
Ours is run through a company in Canada which tracks the issue, and they pass it back to our IT folks. Who are coincidentally in the same building as me. So my problem goes from NC to Canada who logs it and they refers it to NC who walks downstairs to fix the problem and then contacts Canada saying it is resolved who then contacts me to see if it is fixed. SHEESH!
post #5 of 14
our IT guys are awesome! (finding them is another story..... they are like Houdini!)
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post
To play a little Devil's Advocate...

If there is an issue with Email and you send an email to see if there is an issue with Email.. What if there is an issue with email and people aren't getting their emails how do you know they know there is an issue since they might not be getting email???

I'm just wondering...
because usually it is a problem with external emails and internal emails come through fine

I make smart comments like that to our IT guys but I know them all well enough that I would also say it too them and they know i am joking.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Ours is run through a company in Canada which tracks the issue, and they pass it back to our IT folks. Who are coincidentally in the same building as me. So my problem goes from NC to Canada who logs it and they refers it to NC who walks downstairs to fix the problem and then contacts Canada saying it is resolved who then contacts me to see if it is fixed. SHEESH!
Now that cracks me up.... Talk about an efficient means of spending money..
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Ours is run through a company in Canada which tracks the issue, and they pass it back to our IT folks. Who are coincidentally in the same building as me. So my problem goes from NC to Canada who logs it and they refers it to NC who walks downstairs to fix the problem and then contacts Canada saying it is resolved who then contacts me to see if it is fixed. SHEESH!
I almost went to work for a company like that (actually I REALLY wanted the job).

The users had to call an off-location technical support, and for anything labeled "advance" that call went to me, since I was on site.

The pain in the butt would be making sure everyone followed protocol as I was warned there were plenty of people who didn't want to call.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post
Now that cracks me up.... Talk about an efficient means of spending money..
Yep, especially since all we're doing is paying the Canadian IT peeps to log our problems, not fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
The pain in the butt would be making sure everyone followed protocol as I was warned there were plenty of people who didn't want to call.
Yeah, it's pretty discouraging to have a problem and the person that will be fixing it walks by and you can't ask them for help cause you're waiting for someone 3000 miles away to enter the ticket.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post

And your right,, there's no reason for a smart aleck response,, it's uncalled for... But I do hateee IT, sorry.. We have an external IT, which is IBM I think, and then we have an internal IT.. It's like pulling teeth for one of the groups to fix the problem.. You feel like a bouncing ball when your finally off the phone with one group or another..
First of all, my condolences. I try to be patient with the IT people as I blame the setup more than the individual people. Sometimes it is hard.

We have the same setup (The help desk and admin is outsourced, but the applications are us). About a year ago, we started having a network problem that caused us to lose access to a server (we would be dropped off but the server wouldn't let us log back in for 5 minutes). I spent the next 6 months trying to fix this problem. All I got from desktop support was to reboot our PCs (when in doubt reboot, right?). I kept telling them that multiple people had this problem and that it wasn't a feasible solution. One guy then told me there was nothing to he could do to help-he wouldn't even escalate but hung up on me. So the ticket was bouncing between the local building network people, the server admins in Argentina, the Indian help desk support. Each would close it saying it wasn't their problem. I kept reopening it.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
our IT guys are awesome! (finding them is another story..... they are like Houdini!)
Same here!
post #12 of 14
haah, we had are mail sent off site for, about 4 months, But to much mail started coming up missing. So its back to being all done in house.

The people i hate talking to
them: outlook wont open
me: the exchange server is down, and its being worked on
them: so what am i supposed to do
me: what is your job
them. i work on the factory floor
me: hmm maybe you shoudl get back on the line?/or whatever there job is.
far as i know no one job is just to stare at there inbox
them: oh

etc, etc, etc,
post #13 of 14
Our mail server is now in Canada, and we have some internal stuff that appears SAYS after it was sent. Some outside stuff just gets trapped in the Spam filter, even if you whitelist it over and over. Some internal stuff even gets caught!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well i fixed the emails.

Now I only one other issue, but I know its operator error. There's a shared contact folder that one dept uses. The guy that calls about it all the time usually is looking at the wrong contact folder: his own.
I'm now to the point that I let him figure that out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › You wonder why IT is soooo rude....