My first attempt at homemade beignets!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight i decided i'll be brave and make my first attempt at home made beignets! I found a recipe that sounds deliscious.....i think i'll make the dough tonight and let it chill overnight...then fry them up in the morning. Has anyone made them before? Any tips? I wanted to use the Cafe du Monde mix, but the store didn't have any tonight....so this is the recipe i'm trying. i'll let ya'll know how they turn out tomorrow

http://www.everydaycook.com/recipebo...s/beignets.htm

for those of you who've never had a beignet before- they're french doughnuts - it's dough that's fried and then rolled in powdered sugar. They're SOOOOOOOOOOo good! They're super popular in New Orleans....there's a place there called Cafe du Monde...it's world reknown for their beignets and cafe o'lai.
I had the chance to go to NO for a day two weeks ago when Colin and I went to see his family in Mobile (it's about 2 1/2 hours away from new orleans). It was soo fun...and sad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well- the dough turned out lovely- it's in the fridge now chilling for the night. In the morning i'll shape it and fry it up for breakfast

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So are they doughnuts? Glad teh dough turned out good. I would be totally lost on how to cook those thing. Or anything for that matter.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the best places in the world for beignets. It's in the French Quarters
I have tons of pictures of it- when i get them uploaded i'll share some
/ They have awesome beignets

http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Tonight i decided i'll be brave and make my first attempt at home made beignets! I found a recipe that sounds deliscious.....i think i'll make the dough tonight and let it chill overnight...then fry them up in the morning. Has anyone made them before? Any tips? I wanted to use the Cafe du Monde mix, but the store didn't have any tonight....so this is the recipe i'm trying. i'll let ya'll know how they turn out tomorrow

http://www.everydaycook.com/recipebo...s/beignets.htm

for those of you who've never had a beignet before- they're french doughnuts - it's dough that's fried and then rolled in powdered sugar. They're SOOOOOOOOOOo good! They're super popular in New Orleans....there's a place there called Cafe du Monde...it's world reknown for their beignets and cafe o'lai.
I had the chance to go to NO for a day two weeks ago when Colin and I went to see his family in Mobile (it's about 2 1/2 hours away from new orleans). It was soo fun...and sad.

I agree, I love beignets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like them better if they don't have a lot of powdered sugar, I like them just with a little bit of sugar on them, and I gotta have milk with them too.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yum... sounds good! I've never made them from scratch, only from a mix. We also buy some raw french bread dough from the bakery & fry up beignets with that.... they're delicious!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
hey, how can you go wrong with deep-fried dough covered in powdered sugar?
i mean, really! but are you having coffee with chicory to go with? IMO, you need that for the 'Cafe du Monde" experience!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! They turned out sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was soo happy! My first attempt turned out awesome
I am making some more for tomorrow!
Colin and I are going to bring beignets to my sister kimmy's house tomorrow and have breakfast with my family over there
I think they'll be a hit! My family's never had them before so i hope they like them
They turned out sooooo well though! If anyone wants the recipe i used, just let me know

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Sweet! I was hoping you'd make them before I went to bed. Can I have two?
Sending some your way and to all of the other benignet fans out there

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Man, these things are good with chocolate milk.
They're spectacular with Cafe o' lait!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Sounds good!
they were
i had 3 little ones this morning
shall i send some your way

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they sound good. send some my way please!
I am so hungry and about to have some popcorn or peanut butter and jelly on toast. I don't know what I want.