Dusty is limping

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got home from work I noticed that Dusty is limping. It seems to be her left front leg. I can't see anything, and touching it doesn't seem to bother her. Since it's almost my bedtime, I'll check her out in the morning and see if I can figure out why she is favoring that leg.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had that happen twice. First was with a kitty that always got under my feet. I accidently stepped on her paw.
At first inspection she was fine. It wasn't until the next day that she was limping. Took her to the vet and they gave her an antinflamatory (so) shot and told me to keep an eye on it and keep her from running around (yeah right). She was fine the next day.

Most recently, Little Man started limping (couple months ago). I knew I hadn't stepped on him. Took him to the vet and realized he had been bitten, wound closed up with the infection inside. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and some to take orally. He was fine after a couple days.

Def. call the vet and see. I didn't even know Little Man had the wound, b/c it was sooooo small.

C

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was busy, but I examined her whole paw and leg up to her shoulder. I squeezed every part, and didn't see her flinch in pain. But she was still keeping the paw up part of the time. Of course in the middle of the night she was tearing through the house, running up and down the stairs, so I guess she wasn't hurting too much.

I'm keeping an eye on her and if it gets worse, I'll call the vet on Monday. But right now I just think she may have landed wrong and developed a little soreness.

Thanks for your concern!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now her paw/leg is worse - just when I thought she was healing.

She was laying on her favorite patio chair, when another cat came into the yard. I looked out the window and she was giving the low angry meow, and when I went outside, she was chasing the intruder over the fence. When she came back into the yard, she was limping so badly that she won't put her paw down at all, and doesn't want to move much.

It's 3 pm on Sunday, and our vet doesn't open until 8 am. Is there anything I can give her for pain? I don't see any open wound or swelling, but she just wants to be left alone now. Poor girl.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no
I dont know about anything for pain. Please keep us updated, I hope it not something serious.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her anything for pain without talking to the vet. Hope you can get her in there tomorrow.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet opens at 8 am and we will be waiting on his doorstep. Thanks for all the well wishes. Man, it was getting better too, but chasing that intruder out of the backyard didn't help. It's now worse than it was before. Now she isn't putting any weight on it.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning she is not limping.
So we've decided to keep an eye on her today and hubby is going to call the vet anyway, just to see what they say. Depending on the phone call we may still take her in this afternoon. I wish she could talk!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

This morning she is not limping.
So we've decided to keep an eye on her today and hubby is going to call the vet anyway, just to see what they say. Depending on the phone call we may still take her in this afternoon. I wish she could talk!
I really wouldnt wait. Dusty has already shown signs of injury. Cats do not out right show you their pain. Something is going on with Dusty and I wouldnt wait any longer to find out what.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Appointment is tomorrow at 8:40! I'll keep you posted Pami. We kept her inside today - no fence climbing.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty saw the vet this morning. She only weighed 6.1 lbs, which is a half pound less than last April. Personally I think his scale is off, cuz I would swear she has gained weight since April.

Anyway, she hollered all the way to the office in the car. When the vet checked out her good leg, she was tolerant, but when he got to the shoulder on her bad side, she let him have it - hissed, growled, scratched both the vet and the assistant, and peed all over the table. She was not happy.

He said he couldn't feel any swelling, and her temp was normal, so he gave her a shot of anti-inflamatory medicine. She also got her annual rabies shot.

After her temper tantrum on the table, they were afraid to wand her for a chip or to even attempt to put one in, so that will have to wait awhile.

She's moving slowly this afternoon, but is putting weight on the bad leg. But she's not running up and down the stairs, but taking them one at a time.

I'm sure she'll be fine in a few days.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Im so glad you took her in. Keep an eye on her just in case she needs an x ray. Sending prayers and vibes for her to feel better

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is all better, I think. After the vet visit she was walking slowly for a couple of days, but yesterday she was back to tearing up and down the stairs! Yea!

But I'm afraid she has a bad rep at the vets. They called her "attack cat"
. Too bad they can't see her really sweet side, like when she wakes me up in the morning by laying on my chest, purring loudly while she rubs her forehead across my lips!