Cat Q: why does he smell so good?

juliajba1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month old male cat. Had him "fixed" at 6 months. He is an indoor cat although he will lie on the deck outside sometimes, but he doesn't seem to want to go any further than that. He has a natural sweet woodsy scent. He smells so good I love to cuddle close to him just to smell him. It almost smells like he has on perfume which he doesn't. Why does he smell so good? Is it common for cats to smell good? I've had a couple other cats when I was younger but they were female...and I don't remember them smelling so good. Is it because he's male? Is it the breed he is? He's just a solid gray cat, no markings, regular short hair, American I think, affectionate and good natured. But why does he smell so good?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to the both of you. Cats do have their own sweet smell and I too like to cuddle and sniff their fur. I have also found that they pick up smells from fresh laundry and other places where they like to nap.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who smelled WONDERFUL! She was a LH calico, and I still have her mother. Her mother smells the same, but not as strong. Baby Bit would sleep in the dirty clothes hamper, and the dirty clothes hamper would smell WONDERFUL!
. I still miss that lovely scent, almost as much as I miss her...

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, well like the others I think your kitty is just picking up good smellls from your house
One of mine loves sleeping under our pine trees, and she smells just like a floor cleaner we have

Well nice to have you here - enjoy the forums !!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar smells lovely, finally worked out that he was picking up the fragrance of Nate's deodorant - when Nate switched fragrances so did Radar

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Julia and sweetsmelling boycat

to TheCatSite! What's his name? We'd love to see a photo of him...thanks for getting him neutered -- we love people like you who do the RIGHT thing!

Well, our human has lived with, loved, rescued, and advoCATed for cats all her life, and she thinks all cats smell fantastic, especially right behind the ears. It's pheromones, we guess -- that, plus the fact that we are so naturally clean, and are always bathing ourselves!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!
I don't know why cats smell so good but they do don't they?!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Captiva:

How adorable Lizbeth is! That's a great photo of her with her toy...and yes, they DO smell sweet! Especially right behind the ears. "Le parfum Chat!"

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to welcome you and your kitty to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

It could be that your kitty is picking up the scent from the wooden deck that he likes to lie on. Lily and Tolly pick up lovely scents from different things they lie on. Still.....no matter where his scent comes from, it's a great excuse to pick him up and bury your nose in his fur

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Flisssweetpea:

Nice thoughts there. And that is the most gorgeous siggy, from your CATS (don'cha love to see 'em doing that?) to the graphics to the message.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twix's ruff/mane alternately smells like tangerines, pine tree, and outide.
She's so yummy smelling!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Cocoalily:

Omigosh! Twix is one sweet-smelling feline! We have some very perfumey girls here, too -- and the guys are no slouches, either. Let's face it -- cats smell good on the outside 'cause they're so sweet inside. Don'cha think that's it?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Dear Flisssweetpea:

Nice thoughts there. And that is the most gorgeous siggy, from your CATS (don'cha love to see 'em doing that?) to the graphics to the message.
Thank you so much - Hopehacker surprised me with this lovely siggy when she saw this new photo of Lily and Tolly. That was so lovely of her