Nose-butting Kitten

mud-ball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't perceive this to be a bad thing, but my kitten will poke my nose with her nose before curling up with me at night to sleep.

I want to know if anyone else has encountered this with their cats.

~Mud-ball

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Addie does that....except for the settling down to sleep part! She's all about headbutting the face and poking you with her nose. It seems to just be a sign of affection and in Addie's case an invitation to play. Sounds like you just have a loving kitty!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do that when they're being loving and affectionate. I think it means they love you and accept you in their kitty world. It's often the way they greet each other so they may think we are big odd looking cats.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo bites my nose when I'm lying on my back in bed and she's lying on my chest and wants me to get up!
Her nickname is Nosebiter!

She knows her own strength, or teeth, and only nips gently--never tries to actually break the skin. I think it's a mischievous way of greeting you.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Yeah, Addie does that....except for the settling down to sleep part!
Mosi is exactly the same. When he climbs into my bed early morning (somtimes very early morning
) he loves to poke me, sniff me and tickle me with his whiskers

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Yeah, Addie does that....except for the settling down to sleep part! She's all about headbutting the face and poking you with her nose. It seems to just be a sign of affection and in Addie's case an invitation to play. Sounds like you just have a loving kitty!
My Cierron does the same thing
it's so sweet. I think it's kitten kisses too!

At least she isn't doing body slams!!! Often I'm startled awake by a furry body flopping onto my face!! That's Caspian, and he's no light weight either

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mud-ball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is great to hear that other cat do this too.

I am surprised that it was only about a week after adopting her that she started nose kisses. I thought it would take longer for her to accept me and my family. She has now nose kissed them all and seems to like to rotate which person she sleeps with.

We are also doing a lot of research on cat care as we had intended to adopt as dog. Minion just purred her way in to our hearts and a week later after our initial visit to the shelter to see who was there, we couldn't stop thinking about the kitten we saw. We decided, after talking it over that she was the one we all wanted to bring into that family!

Thanks for the stories and info on nose-kissing!

~Mud-ball