Coming to America!!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the time has finally come! Max and I have decided to come to the U.S. for our honeymoon. New York, first up, but we're going to make a real trip of it so we'll be visiting other places.

Now, I want your input! What are some things to do and places to see if you're coming to America? You know - things you shouldn't miss if you're going all that way anyway

I'd love some advice from people here because often it's the little things that are special to the people who live in a country that turn out to be the best experiences for visitors.

I can't wait - it's a year away because we'll be saving saving saving. Even thought we're getting married in September we're not going on our honeymoon until we can afford to make it a really good one. We'll go down south for a few days after our wedding for some alone time, but the honeymoon will be in 2008.

It's not too far off so we want to start planning!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If New York is your first stop, I'd go see things like the Museum of Modern Art, the Statue of Liberty, and Time Square.

I'd make your next stop Washington DC. It's the nation's capital and has TONS to do! The summer is the best time to see it because The Mall is outside.

Also, if you can swing it, Key West is beautiful, and you can see the Hemingway Estate and see all the kitties.

Are you planning on staying on just the east coast or are you going west at all?

How comfortable do you feel about driving? The best way to see the USA is on it's highways. You do want to see "The World's Largest Ball of Twine" and "Our Water tower Looks like a Peach" don't you? There are some really funny road side attractions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail - at least three weeks. The places we REALLY want to go are New York, Boston, Washington and San Francisco - so we'll almost have to go for a few weeks because to cross country with any meaning will involve some time.

Washington is most definitely on the agenda - I think that would be a really exciting place.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Gail - at least three weeks. The places we REALLY want to go are New York, Boston, Washington and San Francisco - so we'll almost have to go for a few weeks because to cross country with any meaning will involve some time.

Washington is most definitely on the agenda - I think that would be a really exciting place.
Just to narrow that down are you going to Washington DC or Washington State? They are on opposite sides of the country.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a little side trip to Canada to see Niagara Falls, the Skydome, the CNTower, take in a game, the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the list goes on.........

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Just to narrow that down are you going to Washington DC or Washington State? They are on opposite sides of the country.
Sorry - lol. DC. Don't you know, they're the same place to the rest of us!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes and to many Upstate New Yorkers, New York is NOT New York City!

I'm from not far from DC, Baltimore, or Philadelphia. I think I know where that water tower shaped like a peach is, I just can't remember exactly what trip I was on that I saw it. I haven't been to DC in a long while, but the most memorable places for me besides the different Presidential monuments were the Smithsonian and the holocaust museum, though that on was 'heavy' and definitely emotional.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL.. too funny.

DC has a lot going on. I'd actually jump onto the Smithsonianâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s web page about a month or two before you go. It should give you some information on what exhibits are going to be there. Also, you may want to plan for at least four to five days there. When we were kids it took us a whole day to just get through the Air and Space museum. The next day we'd go to Natural History.

Also, things like the Holocaust Museum require that you get tickets before you go, so it may be in your best interests to plan you time around things like that.

My last suggestion is Chicago! If you are planning on going from the East to the West coast you will most likely have a layover in Chicago. Spend a few days there, and have tons of fun!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY I'm soooooo glad you said Chicago - I left that off my list earlier but it's always been a desired destination for me. My cousin lives there, too, so that's handy.

What you said earlier about the museum of Modern Art - my boss said that's one of the most beautiful and impressive places he's ever been. And most definitely the Holocaust Museum. That's a not-negotiable for me.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

YAY I'm soooooo glad you said Chicago - I left that off my list earlier but it's always been a desired destination for me. My cousin lives there, too, so that's handy.

What you said earlier about the museum of Modern Art - my boss said that's one of the most beautiful and impressive places he's ever been. And most definitely the Holocaust Museum. That's a not-negotiable for me.
Chicago is so fun! And if you are flying from one coast to the other you'll stop there anyway.

Not to start this debate, but Chicago deep dish pizza is simply AMAZING! (Pizza is a hotly debated food topic in the states) Also, you can see the Great Lakes. My brother says that the best view of the city is from the women's restroom on the top floor of the John Hancock building, so you'll have to check that out too .

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if you're going to San Francisco, I can suggest that you bring warm clothing. It's always cold there. Why not Los Angeles?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just never, ever had any desire to go there. I really don't know why - because I'm sure it would be a great place with lots of touristy things. Max may want to go though, he IS an actor after all...lol.

I've heard lots of great reports of SF - and I've also heard it's a lot like Perth (well, that's what Australians say...lol) so I've wanted to check it out.

Oops - I just had a look and you're from there aren't you?? Well, er, no offence

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest taking a day to see the Grand Canyon. It's worth it. You never really believe how much it will take your breath away until you're standing on the edge...

I suggest a city that reeks of the "old south" too like Charleston, SC, or Savannah, GA.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
San Francisco is pretty, but I'm not kidding about the fact that it's cold pretty much year round. Even in the summer you need a sweater during the day and a jacket at night. For some reason I always felt Perth had a better climate and was warmer.

I can't tell you about the rest of the country but in San Francisco, you might want to check out Lombard Street which is the crockedest street in the world, Fishermans Warf is another fun place to check out, also Gheradelli Square. The city of San Francisco is very hilly, so you might want to use public transport to get around the city itself.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
come to Oregon! There is no sales tax here! Well that's probably not a reason to go now is it?

However I can't think of a place like Portland Oregon. Where you can be in a city, have the beach, snow, woods, desert, all in a two hour drive.
Crater Lake is stunning : http://www.dustydavis.com/blogimages...lake_large.jpg

then there is the painted hills: http://www.nps.gov/joda/planyourvisi...hills_unit.htm

oh and the Oregon Vortex. ( you either find that stupid, or truely remarkable) http://www.oregonvortex.com/

The scenery is amazing! NOT TO MENTION! Portland is just an ear shot away from Mt. St. Helens. Hey who knows..Maybe it will erupt while you are here! Wouldn't that be something?

The great Northwest is something you don't want to miss.

I do highly recommend Washington D.C. as well. It's fantastic. I like Boston too. They have good beer.

If I had to pick one state as far as the scenery goes. That would go to Alaska. It's stunning there. I have been there 7 times and it still amazes me everytime I go.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! So many good ideas from people - Hope, I forgot about the hills. Oh dear....that would kill me!!

The other thing we have to consider is that our money will go down to about two-thirds once the exchange rates are applied. And you don't really tip here in Australia so we'll need extra for that...

Anyone got any idea how much you'd need for three to four weeks in America? (Just a ball-park...)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no idea how much- it would depend so much on where you were going and what you were doing...
. Someone with a math brain (that would not be me
) could probably give you a ballpark

If you get down to the south (Alabama, Florida Panhandle, Georgia, etc.) you don't want to miss the white sand beaches! So beautiful (bring your darkest sunglasses
). They are really nice early, early in the morning (I usually go down about 5 am and collect shells- very peaceful). I hear that Atlanta has a great aquarium, as does Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Gatlinburg, Tennessee, (plus I heard that the Shed Aquarium in Chicago is really nice now, but I haven't seen it in 15 years) and the mountains in Tennesse are beautiful, but then so is the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mountains...
Yes, I would definitely recommend a visit to a state park (anywhere along the way) with mountains...

Maybe when you get a good group of places together that you want to see together, you can post again and people could give you specifics on where to stay (and not stay-LOL!), and about how much each place costs to stay, how much certain things cost to do there, and then whittle your list down to what you've saved (or add more to it, if you find alot of good deals!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come to Memphis too
/ Oh, and if you're gonna be by NY- definitely check out Pennsylvania- there's tons of museums and cool things to to there

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you sure they are going to let you in? hmmm

Just teasing.,

hmm NEW york city, the grand cayon, San Francisco, and of course one of the disney parks would be your best bet. If it was during the summer and rides are your thing cedar point in ohio is a blast. or if you like to gamble vegas.

i would vote new york and the grand canyon. or the disney parks for a first time vists
As for the cost, need to check the exchange rates. But all of those placesare alot of money,if you are staying in a ok hotel then count on around 100 US dollars a day. Just for a place to sleep.

you may want to look into tours,i have found for the most parts tours are good for letting you find places you would later like to go back and check out in length.