TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › VA School Board Fires Butt-Printing Teacher
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VA School Board Fires Butt-Printing Teacher

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 


http://www.wxii12.com/education/10716886/detail.html

The statement by his lawyer is too much!
post #2 of 19
As long as what he does in his off-hours isn't illegal, I don't see why he should have been fired.

As for the the lawyer's comment, the First Amendment protects even BAD and/or disgusting "art".
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
I just feel sorry for the people who used the copier AFTER him!
post #4 of 19
Good lord - that is just beaureacracy gone mad. What the man does in his own personal time is none of anyone's business - it's not hurting anyone, so who cares?
post #5 of 19
I think it is so stupid that this guy got fired. Why don't they just lock up all the teachers in cells after hours, because they need to be role models and can't have a life outside of school.
post #6 of 19
If he did it on school property that's one thing. If he's doing it off school property then obviously someone had it out to get rid of him.
post #7 of 19
Being a former teacher, I didn't even blink an eye when I read this story. Private life being private works in theory for teachers. In reality, if you lose the respect of your students, or if your outside activities become the focus of the students rather than the classroom, you've lost control and you've lost any hope of teaching them anything. This sort of thing being public knowledge would have lost the students in his classroom for years to come. High school students especially can be incredibly rude, crude and easily distracted.

It's not just a matter of being a good role model. It's a matter of being an effective teacher. Having taught high school, once this got out, I would presume that his effectiveness as a teacher was lost. High school kids will use anything to usurp the authoriy of their teachers.
post #8 of 19
I think that sounds perfectly logical. In which case, I think it should have been expressed that way and the teacher should have been asked to resign. Ultimately, it amounts to the same thing, but it gives him a little dignity back
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Being a former teacher, I didn't even blink an eye when I read this story. Private life being private works in theory for teachers. In reality, if you lose the respect of your students, or if your outside activities become the focus of the students rather than the classroom, you've lost control and you've lost any hope of teaching them anything. This sort of thing being public knowledge would have lost the students in his classroom for years to come. High school students especially can be incredibly rude, crude and easily distracted.

It's not just a matter of being a good role model. It's a matter of being an effective teacher. Having taught high school, once this got out, I would presume that his effectiveness as a teacher was lost. High school kids will use anything to usurp the authoriy of their teachers.

I definately agree with many of the points you bring up. I am a student teacher right now.

Private life should be private, but we know going into the business of teaching that we have a certain role to fill. It might not be fair and I may not agree with it, but for now, it is reality. With this being said, where do we draw the line????

I can see how this would affect his ability to be effective, but I can't help but wonder if it would be a permanent thing. Sure the kids may giggle and laugh for a while, but perhaps there is a lesson he could have taught from this. What he was doing is a form of art and perhaps he could have taught those kids some respect for art (not ness. his lol) but I don't know...I guess if the school was pretty conservative I could see why they'd be upset by it.

I do believe that the administration went about it wrong. Was there something wrong with his teaching? Did he do anything illegal??? I think he should have been given an option to resign and perhaps a nice recommendation letter.
post #10 of 19
Yes I see it as losing respect of the students...but come on...they'll make of you for anything.

We joked that one teacher was always drunk because his coffee smelled like whiskey.

We called one teacher Mr Penis and he responded because he was deaf (and his name wasn't Mr. Penis)

I speak about school property being the drawing line because my HS principle was caught in then HS swimming pool with the head construction worker NAKED. She was moved to another district.
post #11 of 19
Talk about making an ass of yourself...
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
Talk about making an ass of yourself...


One of my kids teachers was known as "Coach Cocaine" I was NOT impressed.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post


One of my kids teachers was known as "Coach Cocaine" I was NOT impressed.
Why was the teacher known as that? The worst teacher name I had was Mrs. Trash when I was in kindergarten (I couldn't say Trask)
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Being a former teacher, I didn't even blink an eye when I read this story. Private life being private works in theory for teachers. In reality, if you lose the respect of your students, or if your outside activities become the focus of the students rather than the classroom, you've lost control and you've lost any hope of teaching them anything. This sort of thing being public knowledge would have lost the students in his classroom for years to come. High school students especially can be incredibly rude, crude and easily distracted.

It's not just a matter of being a good role model. It's a matter of being an effective teacher. Having taught high school, once this got out, I would presume that his effectiveness as a teacher was lost. High school kids will use anything to usurp the authoriy of their teachers.
while i can see your point.

I think if i recall correctly from the previous thread about this. the students were not as aware of the issue. until a Huge issue was made of it by the school board.

And while i can understand the reasoning, it still doesnt make it right.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese View Post
I definately agree with many of the points you bring up. I am a student teacher right now.

Private life should be private, but we know going into the business of teaching that we have a certain role to fill. It might not be fair and I may not agree with it, but for now, it is reality. With this being said, where do we draw the line????

I can see how this would affect his ability to be effective, but I can't help but wonder if it would be a permanent thing. Sure the kids may giggle and laugh for a while, but perhaps there is a lesson he could have taught from this. What he was doing is a form of art and perhaps he could have taught those kids some respect for art (not ness. his lol) but I don't know...I guess if the school was pretty conservative I could see why they'd be upset by it.

I do believe that the administration went about it wrong. Was there something wrong with his teaching? Did he do anything illegal??? I think he should have been given an option to resign and perhaps a nice recommendation letter.
I agree. I remember Dr. Phil had a show a few weeks back with a teacher who is on leave and may lose her job because she used to star in porno movies. One of her students had one of the movies and was passing it around school.

Oddly enough though, while the teacher got disciplined, she said nothing happened to the student for having inappropriate material on school property.
post #16 of 19
Yea I do remember seeing that one and that's an even harder situation. People do make poor decisions but can change and I just felt so bad for her. Those kids deserved punishment and it just makes me think of how careful I need to be because if kids don't like you, it's very easy for a group of kids to get together to get rid of the teacher.

In this situation, there were other options and if it was the school board that made a big deal out of it, I'd fight it. AHHHHH! What am I thinking becoming a teacher...yesh!

I don't know, but sometimes I think society expects teachers to be all these things and it just isn't possible because they are human too.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC View Post
Why was the teacher known as that? The worst teacher name I had was Mrs. Trash when I was in kindergarten (I couldn't say Trask)
Apparently he didn't mind bragging about his using in college. Wht a fine example...
post #18 of 19
It could have also been the parents that got in an uproar. The school board may have brought it up initially, but if the parents got their panties in a bunch about him being a "bad influence" for their kids, that kind of pressure makes schools do dumb things.

I was actually called in to the Principal's office when I was a teacher and got a talking to because of the complaint of a parent. I had given her little angel zero points on an extra credit assignment (end of first year Spanish, the extra credit assignment was to use the basics they knew to write a short children's book, like Dick and Jane, See Spot Run). She had blatently plagarized a children's book from the school's own library, which used much higher grammar than she could have possibly known - and the librarian showed me the book she had checked out that was word for word her "project". Well, Mom was irate that I hadn't given her precious daughter any credit, because she had spent a lot of time drawing and coloring (with crayons, no less) the pictures.

Yes, I'm serious. And I'M the one who got in trouble for it, because the parent was a "big supporter" of the school.
post #19 of 19
Some parents are so crazy!!! I know so many parents who let their children run wild and give them little to no discipline and the only time they actually seem involved is when something goes wrong. The parents expect the teachers to be more of a parent to their kids then they actually are. It makes me sick!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › VA School Board Fires Butt-Printing Teacher