What temperature do you keep in the house?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been trying to save on heating bills. Earlier in the winter I was turning the heat down during sleep hours and when I wasn't home, but for the last 4 weeks I've just been keeping it at 67ºF (19ºC) regardless, but when it gets too cold outside the floor makes it feel much colder than that.
What do you keep your house at?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the house at a constant 80f year round, so I doubt I'd be much help.
But I have tropical birds, tropical fish in an unheated tank, and we use natural gas.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep my house at 64 during the day while I'm at work. When I come home, it set it to 66 or 67, depending on how chilly I feel. Then, after the house has warmed up for a few hours, I set it back down to 64. I've come to grips with being a bit cold, so I wear socks and fuzzy slippers and keep lots of blankets on the couch.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year we had it at 68 during the day and 69-70 morning/night. However this year since we both have jobs we keep it at 70.

I have a second job going so we probably could boost it up to a wopping 71 F

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

I keep my house at 64 during the day while I'm at work. When I come home, it set it to 66 or 67, depending on how chilly I feel. Then, after the house has warmed up for a few hours, I set it back down to 64. I've come to grips with being a bit cold, so I wear socks and fuzzy slippers and keep lots of blankets on the couch.
-so I'm not nuts then.
I have a pair of indoor only shoes to keep my feet warm too, but they don't really cut it when it's -30°C outside. I think I'm going to break down and turn the heat up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Last year we had it at 68 during the day and 69-70 morning/night. However this year since we both have jobs we keep it at 70.

I have a second job going so we probably could boost it up to a wopping 71 F
That's funny.
If I'm ever filthy rich I am going to turn up the heat until the floor feels like warm beach sand.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We go 70-71....there are strict "no pissing with the thermostat" rules in our house. I bet I'd get shot if I touched it!
I'm always cold, so I basically bought one of those sleeping bags that has arm'leg holes & I walk around wearing that all the time. Imagine me answering the door in a sleeping bag with my slippers on at 4 in the afternoon...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a programmable thermostat that we set to lower at midnight and come on about 1/2 hour before we get up in the morning and then lower again during the day while we are at work and again coming on before we get home. The kitties have lots of nice places to sleep (they paw the covers down on our bed and crawl under them). On weekends it is programmed to stay up during the day. Naturally if a weekday is a holiday it has to be manually set which is a piece of cake.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I turned up the heat a little this year. I keep it at 65 when I am home and 60 when I sleep. I love to sleep under the warm down comforter and flannel sheets.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's difficult to answer. Our heater works on a timer, and we only heat the kitchen, bathroom, and living room on a more or less constant basis. They're heated to 15° to 20° C. a few hours a day (currently 5 - 6 a.m., 12 - 2 p.m., and 6 - 10 p.m.), depending on how "far" the radiators are opened. Otherwise, the temperature is usually somewhere between 13° and 17° C in winter. I think the bedroom has been heated once or twice since we moved in here in 1982, and the study and spare bedroom only get heated when they're being used.
I hate temperatures over 20° C, and Robert is a real polar bear - when it snows, we get snow blown into our bedroom, because he insists on having the French doors to the front and back balconies open at night, no matter what the outside temperature is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i keep mine at about 72 F when i'm awake, & 68 F at night. i used to do 68F all the time, but since my weight loss that's just too cold for me to tolerate.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep the temp at 70 when I'm home and 68 when I'm away or sleeping.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were up to me, it would be set at 68F. However, since Earl is home all day, he usually messes with the thermostat instead of actually putting more clothes on.
I come home for lunch, and it IS colder today. He tells me he turned up the thermostat because the house was chilled, and so was he. He's wearing jeans and a t-shirt. No socks, no long sleeve shirt.

Oh yeah, and he blames the cats, too. He'll turn up the heat and tell me "But the cats were cold."
Um, they have fur coats - they like it cooler (except Ophelia, who would find a sunbeam in the desert!).

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a constant bone of contention in our house. I answered 68, because that's where Pat likes it and he usually wins. I'm always freezing, though, and as I manage to lose weight I just get colder.

He's out of town now, though, so I've got it up to 73!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is set somewhere from 17c - 20c, any colder than 17c and I will complain but I am generally ok between there and just keep socks handy all over the place in case my toesies get cold.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Me, too!
me 3! I keep it at a constant 65, I'd actually turn it lower but my pipes have a bad habit of freezing. I have a small space heater than I run in the Living room in the evening if it gets chilly, and I wear slippers and warm PJs