Just wanted to share...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For Christmas my boss gave me a little statue of St. Gertrude who's the patron saint of cats (and those who love them) along with fever sufferers, gardeners and pilgrims. In other words, she's a busy saint!

Anyway, this doesn't compare to her gift from last year (a George calendar), but I still appreciate the sentiment. So, I decided to be good and holy (for once) and share the prayer that came with the statue.

Prayer to Assist with Feline Care

Most holy St. Gertrude, I beseech thee to provide me with the strength and dedication to care for every cat that finds its way to my doorstep. I also ask that you protect my furniture from clawmarks and my carpet from "accidents." Amen.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's adorable Eileen! Thanks for sharing!
hmmmm,
I think you sound a little like that patron saint too.....caring for all cats on your doorstep.... yup, I'd say so!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soooo sweettt.. I had no clue there was a saint for cats... That was soo nice......

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
did you make that prayer up yourself, Eileen??

I'm still trying to figure out what cats, fever sufferers, gardeners and pilgrims have in common though
nothing like a little variety!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

did you make that prayer up yourself, Eileen??

I'm still trying to figure out what cats, fever sufferers, gardeners and pilgrims have in common though
nothing like a little variety!
Of course not!
That's the prayer that came with the statue.

You just had to make me go and look St. Gertrude up didn't you.
Not sure on the fever sufferers, but apparently she was very generous to travelers in offering them hospitality. With gardners it's because the weather on her feast day in March is generally good and an indication it's time to start spring planting. Legend also holds it that she had power over rodents which accounts for her patronage of cats.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, right?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Of course not!
That's the prayer that came with the statue.

You just had to make me go and look St. Gertrude up didn't you.
Not sure on the fever sufferers, but apparently she was very generous to travelers in offering them hospitality. With gardners it's because the weather on her feast day in March is generally good and an indication it's time to start spring planting. Legend also holds it that she had power over rodents which accounts for her patronage of cats.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, right?
That's actually pretty interesting! so she was like the pied piper and the rodents, eh?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Prayer to Assist with Feline Care

Most holy St. Gertrude, I beseech thee to provide me with the strength and dedication to care for every cat that finds its way to my doorstep. I also ask that you protect my furniture from clawmarks and my carpet from "accidents." Amen.
Nothing like a little realism in prayer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Nothing like a little realism in prayer!
That's the best kind of prayer!