Do you ever wonder?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would we be friends if we met in "real" life? I consider everyone here my friend, you should all know that.
I was talking to someone I sit next to in my class today & she just kept ignoring me. I was walking out of class behind her & a rude comment was made about how I was a punky
I guess I didn't mind as she's one right back!
I just don' understand why people have to judge me by my looks.

So, do you think cultural differences or physical appearances or whatever would stand between us being friends if we met in real life?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Would we be friends if we met in "real" life? I consider everyone here my friend, you should all know that.
I was talking to someone I sit next to in my class today & she just kept ignoring me. I was walking out of class behind her & a rude comment was made about how I was a punky
I guess I didn't mind as she's one right back!
I just don' understand why people have to judge me by my looks.

So, do you think cultural differences or physical appearances or whatever would stand between us being friends if we met in real life?
I don't get it? Punky what? Brewster?!
j/k

I think that we would.....but I do live in my own special little happy place!
I know I have met some of the nicest people on TCS, that are more caring, concerned, and more real "friends" than some of my "friends" in real life. That is worth it's weight in gold.
And with everything that happened yesterday with my dad....I could barely even say the words out loud, let alone talk to anyone about it, but I couldn't wait to get online and let everyone know his condition, and how I was doing....everyone here is what got me through yesterday at work without falling to pieces....just knowing that you all were praying & sending good vibes kept me together!
I think of everyone here as my friends too! I
TCS and all of it's members!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so open minded, I'm surprised my brains haven't fallen out.
I have never been one to go by looks.

Imagine the fright of the woman who, on the freeway, cut off a car containing myself (tattooed, pierced, Circle Jerks t-shirt, jeans so holey they were nothing more than pockets, seams and some tatter bits of fabric, and a leather motorcycle jacket festooned with patches, pins, buttons and christmas tree spikes), my best friend with her lovely long curly hair, peace sign earrings, peasasnt shirt and tie-dye gauze skirt, and our close friend, a very feminine , bald headed male who looks like one of the lesser known Village People.

I keep all sorts of friends, and when we travel in packs, we are indeed a very strange sight.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that being here on TCS has actually changed me. When I see someone at the grocery store or somewhere who I would have before "pre-judged" I think to myself. "What if she's one of my TCS friends and I just don't know it?"
And I think I'm nicer to people because of that.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we would be. Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces if we all met up and had lunch somewhere. We would be a sight to behold. We are such a diverse group of people. Young and not so young anymore and everything in between. But there would be so much laughter at the table! I kinda like this little world we have made for ourselves. I actually find myself thinking about you all when I hear certain things on the radio or whatever. Its really cool.

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we would. I've never really judged anyone on looks, I think that's why online is great in some ways.. you get to know so much about a person, and love them so much as a friend, it doesn't matter what they look like.. I also like the idea of finding out about someone then seeing them, that way, even if you are someone who judges on looks (not saying anyone here does
), you should see past that photo and remember how good it was when you didn't know what each other looked like.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I think we would be. Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces if we all met up and had lunch somewhere. We would be a sight to behold. We are such a diverse group of people. Young and not so young anymore and everything in between. But there would be so much laughter at the table! I kinda like this little world we have made for ourselves. I actually find myself thinking about you all when I hear certain things on the radio or whatever. Its really cool.
YES!!! Let's have a TCS World Meet up!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having met people in person from other forums, I can say that for the most part people who get along online get along in real life. Out of probably 15 people I've met in person after knowing them online for a year or more, only 2 of them turned out to be people that I don't really care for, one more so than the other. And looking back, there was something about them online that I couldn't quite put my finger on...

I have made some great friends online, but also weeded out a bunch of people that were fake. I am sooooo lucky to have met Belinda (LSULOVER) as she is one of my very closest friends. We were close before, and meeting in person just made that better. I can even tolerate her hugging my husband.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to post on a political message board and would regularly meet people from there. The ones I've stayed in touch with since leaving aren't necessarily the ones I agree with politically and I'd say we are a pretty diverse bunch of people. I think you learn a lot about a persons sense of humour and personality form their posts so I can't see why people here wouldn't get on irl...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely think we'd be friends.
In spite of any differences, we have a have wonderful thing in common - our love of cats (and animals in general) That creates an automatic, genuine bond between us that's reflected in the caring and accepting relationships we've developed on TCS.

Besides the love we have for our cats, we also share some basic, solid values, such as openmindedness and compassion. These transcend differences in background and experience and lead to friendship.

We're also a group of all around super nice, fun people!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

YES!!! Let's have a TCS World Meet up!
That would the coolest! We should atleast try to get a USA meet up together. I think it would be a blast. I bet a hotel would give us a discount if we got enough people up. It could be a weekend! I want to so bad!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

That would the coolest! We should atleast try to get a USA meet up together. I think it would be a blast. I bet a hotle would give us a discount if we got enough people up. It could be a weekend! I want to so bad!
That sounds cool- even if I didn't like the people I met I could still pack bags of American candy and clothes enough to make up the cost of the fare

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but there's hope. True friends are very rare. I've noticed that money, unfortunately, is a great divider. If you don't have much, people tend to look down on you. If you do have some, people are envious and icky.

Growing up in Texas, I always figured I liked someone unless they proved that I shouldn't. Now, I'm older, wiser, more jaded, and much more cautious about who I open up to...

I'm disappointed about one of my "friends" right now, so I'm a bit negative.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I definitely think we'd be friends.
In spite of any differences, we have a have wonderful thing in common - our love of cats (and animals in general) That creates an automatic, genuine bond between us that's reflected in the caring and accepting relationships we've developed on TCS.

Besides the love we have for our cats, we also share some basic, solid values, such as openmindedness and compassion. These transcend differences in background and experience and lead to friendship.

We're also a group of all around super nice, fun people!
we'd certainly never run out of things to talk about if we were friends IRL I could talk about my cats for days, but I have no one to talk to about them except you all!!

I agree with Heather in that my friends on here are always there for me, and with Brandi in that when I see things or hear things I always think of a TCS member who would like it

oh, and one more thing, I really don't think looks mean much after you get to know a person. Perhaps IRL, upon meeting someone for the first time, looks may play a role in you wanting to get to know them, but once you've gotten to know them without worrying about looks, they really don't mean much. I've learned that personality can either make a person ugly or beautiful, regardless of their physical appearance

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I think that being here on TCS has actually changed me. When I see someone at the grocery store or somewhere who I would have before "pre-judged" I think to myself. "What if she's one of my TCS friends and I just don't know it?"
And I think I'm nicer to people because of that.
That's a great way to be!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I've learned that personality can either make a person ugly or beautiful, regardless of their physical appearance
That is so true.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we would.
I've never been one to choose my friends by the way they looked, their age, height, what the scale says when they get on it, skin color, straight or gay, how much money they have or don't have.

I have friends of all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, some have money some don't.
I have both Male and Female friends, straight ones, gay ones, and one lesbian.

It's not what's on the outside that counts, it's the person they are on the inside that makes them a friend.

God that last line kind of sounds like a Hallmark card

But it's the way I was brought up, you never judge someone by what you see on the outside.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know, but there's hope. True friends are very rare. I've noticed that money, unfortunately, is a great divider. If you don't have much, people tend to look down on you. If you do have some, people are envious and icky.

Growing up in Texas, I always figured I liked someone unless they proved that I shouldn't. Now, I'm older, wiser, more jaded, and much more cautious about who I open up to...

I'm disappointed about one of my "friends" right now, so I'm a bit negative.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I'm sorry.

Just remember that while true friends are rare and special, companions on the road - those that are only our friends for a little while - are important too.

(I) Just remember to treasure them for what they are, and wish them well when they are gone.