I Lost My Job

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the blue yesterday, I got called into the HR office at work and was told I no longer have a job -- effective immediately. Apparently they needed someone with different skills? (And yet at no point was I ever told I lacked the skills needed for the position -- the position appeared to have been built around my skill-set -- nor was I ever given work I was unable to do.) I'm pissed off and hurt, of course, because I never saw this coming. I'd been effectively doing the work of three different people, being paid for one job (the lowest-paying one, of course), and fairly recently I had asked for and been given new equipment in order to do my job. It's like someone woke up yesterday morning and decided I just had to go.

I keep telling myself that it's for the best: I hated that job. Every time my supervisor passed my desk I cringed, thinking he'd misplaced something (again) or had made an error on some data sheet that I would have to correct (again). Everyone was always so stressed and unhappy there; it was truly a miserable place to work, and I'm better off not working there. (At no point did I behave like I felt this way, however -- my attitude at work was always friendly, professional and upbeat.) And I'm glad they waited until after Christmas, so at least my holiday bills are paid off. Still, I feel completely demoralized, like what the hell is wrong with me that I can't find a job, or that the ones I do find don't want to keep me? I'm smart, I'm hardworking, I have a positive attitude. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

And I also don't know what to put on my resume, where you're supposed to say your reason for leaving the position. I left because I was apparently useless? I can't say that! I don't know what to say that won't make me look like a total loser.

I'm also confused as to whether or not I'm getting two weeks' pay, since I didn't get two weeks' notice. I was basically called into the office yesterday at 4:20pm (ten minutes before my work day ended) and told not to come back. How does that work? I was too shocked to ask any questions (honestly, I was afraid I'd start crying if I even tried to speak), so now I don't know what's going on, but I've worked there for four months -- doesn't that entitle me to either two weeks' notice or two weeks' pay? *sigh*

I'm unhappy and relieved at the same time. I couldn't see myself working there in the long-run (not that I ever let this be known), and I really was miserable and stressed-out working there. It's a horrible place to work. It's just that now I'm left feeling like a loser, like I'm a drain on my fiance (who gets to support me again and it seems like I've spent more time unemployed during our relationship than I have spent being employed), and basically totally demoralized. What the hell is wrong with me?!?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH NO!! That is awful, they didn't give you any warning to see if you could improve at all??

That must be so scary for you, they should at least give you 2 weeks, I think they have to..You shoul check into that for sure.

to you, I know things will work out. After all, you weren't happy there.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck, thats just terrible
I am sorry to hear this and rather perplexed, this sort of "dismissal" doesnt sound legal to me............could you get some advice about how this matter was handled and what your rights are ?
Keep us posted, I am sure this is wrong !!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this. All you can do is get back out there and find another job. Good luck with the job search.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some states (NC is one
) are "right to work" states, and you can be fired at any time unless you have a written contract of employment. No reason has to be given, they can just walk up and say "you're outta here" and you are done. No severance, nothing. It sucks, but you have to live with the law.

Good luck starting a new career!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, man, I'm so sorry they did you like that Mirinae
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you, please don't take this personally, obviously the company is run by a bunch of booty-heads. You'll find something new, something that won't make you miserable

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How horrible!!! That totally sucks.

As for the 2 weeks pay, if you're fired they may pay you to keep quiet (i.e. not go to a lawyer and attempt to sue for wrong dismissal), but in some states businesses are not required to do that.

Find out if you're an "at will" employment state. This may make all the difference (means here in MI that a business can fire you at anytime).

At least this gives you a chance to start a new path in life though! Good luck with your job search: Sending good {{{{VIBES}}}} that you'll find something you like and soon!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they probably have the right to can anyone they want after 4 months, you probably have no recourse other than what you are eligible for in the way of unemployment.

Since you did not leave voluntarily you ARE eligible for unemployment providing you worked enough quarters in the past. Make sure you sign up for it NOW, If the employer fights paying the UC, they will have to prove they had justification for letting you go. It doesn't sound like they disciplined you or gave you any warnings, and even if they did, I think you would still be eligible.

As far as what to say on your resume, if you think the skills you used or learned at that job are important, then list the job.
If not, you were only there for 4 months, you need not include it.

If you include and then are asked why did you leave, the answer is, it wasn't what I expected, I thought I would be trained on.., not enough responsibility.. you know BS.
Never say anything negative about the job, the company, or yourself.

Don't feel bad, everyone gets canned at some time or other. It just wasn't a good match. You will find something much better, this is a blessing in disguise.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man, that is rude! Sounds par for the course for that place if it's that miserable.
You should be entitled to severance of 2 weeks as you've been there for over 3 months. I believe after 3 months they have to give you notice and/or severance.
You could say you were downsized - last in, first to go- on your resume.
Good luck in you job search!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats awful- I hope you find something-else soon and I'd give your fiancee a big hug for the support he has given you in the past

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for the way you were treated. Ohio is one of the states where a company can fire you in this manner. Fortunately I work for a company that only does it if your on 90 days probation which everyone starts on. After that there is a process so someone knows it is coming and have clearcut things they have to do to keep their job.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know if you were on probation and if so, how long was the probation period. Generally it is 3 months, but I've known places with a 6 month probation period. If you were paid weekly, they can give you 1 weeks' pay, bi-weekly, 2 weeks' pay, etc.

Don't let this get you down - I had a similar experience several years ago and it was devastating. I had always had good performance reviews over the years but this woman was brutal to me. I really was in tears in her office but in hindsight I realize she did me a huge favour. I was told going in that people in her department didn't stay/last long so that eased the pain somewhat.

You need to keep your confidence up and there will be days it will be difficult. Good jobs are so difficult to find these days (our daughter was out of work for 1 year and finally got a really great job). Hang tough, come and get good vibes from all of us and keep your chin up. We're all rooting for you

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I am so very sorry.

Take a day or two off and catch your breath. Check out your resume. Go to your state job service office and probably there will be something waiting for you.

You don't need this heartache or headache. Give your babies a hug and a kitty kiss. They love you just because.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that you're in Ontario, and I don't know what the laws are in Canada. My advice would be to visit your local Labor Commissioner's office to have them explain your rights. I just don't know if you have Labor Commissioners in Canada.

Hopefully something better will turn up soon. I think it is heartless to fire someone without having first warned them about performance issues, and giving them some time to work on an improvement plan. I'm really sorry this happened to you.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Oh honey, I am so very sorry.

Take a day or two off and catch your breath. Check out your resume. Go to your state job service office and probably there will be something waiting for you.

You don't need this heartache or headache. Give your babies a hug and a kitty kiss. They love you just because.
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I see that you're in Ontario, and I don't know what the laws are in Canada. My advice would be to visit your local Labor Commissioner's office to have them explain your rights. I just don't know if you have Labor Commissioners in Canada.

Hopefully something better will turn up soon. I think it is heartless to fire someone without having first warned them about performance issues, and giving them some time to work on an improvement plan. I'm really sorry this happened to you.
First of all, you did nothing wrong. They gave you no opportunity to fix the situation. And you do not need to put any reason on a resume as to why you left a job. (And if it should come up in an interview - just state the truth, they decided you were not an appropriate fit for that position).

Second, while it is painful, it sounds like this is an opportunity to move to something better (you know, that "when a door closes, a window opens"). Find out what resources are available from the government and utilize them as fully as you can. You still have a job, just it is looking for a job.

Good luck and we're all here for you.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awful! I am sorry that this happened to you.
They could have at least given you a some kind of warning first. Good luck on the job search.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Though I am in AB right now, I moved here from ON in September. My previous job was as office manager for a medium sized company in Toronto.
There are some standards written into the labour code re: notice/severance, but they do not apply to workers who have been employed less than 6 months. However, in the absence of "just cause" an employer can not fire you without a preliminary warning step, ie a letter/meeting etc. Just Cause of course is somethign like willful disregard to known company policy, absenteeism, chronic lateness etc. Doesnt sound like that is the case here. Telephone your now former employer today. State that you felt a little stunned to ask questions at the time, and would like a) an explanation as to why you were let go (they are obligated to provide a reason) and b) question what type of severance you might get in lieu of notice as you had completed the standard 3 month probation period (in ON, the standard is 3 mos, assuming full time hours during those 3 mos). After 6 months you are entitled to 2 weeks notice/2 weeks severance. So you should get at least one....
Good Luck, and dont worry...there are lots of better jobs for you to find that wont make you miserable!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Some states (NC is one
) are "right to work" states, and you can be fired at any time unless you have a written contract of employment. No reason has to be given, they can just walk up and say "you're outta here" and you are done. No severance, nothing. It sucks, but you have to live with the law.

Good luck starting a new career!
Indiana has that law too... "at will." I've been a victim of that... it sucks!! They usually gave some lame excuse.
It is horribly demoralizing when they fire you like that. Good luck finding a new job, Mirinae... something better will come along. Make sure to apply for unemployment and at a temp agency. They usually don't provide benefits, but they pay higher to compensate.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sucks....I'm so sorry your feeling down. I know this will be a scary time in your life with starting a new chapter, but I agree with Gail, take this as a blessing in disguise.
You hated it there, can you collect unemployment till you get a new job? Alot of times companies can hire someone for less than what you make to take your place.... they did that here at my company. They went through what they called a "restructuring" which basically meant laying off people who had been here too long or made too much $, then they could hire 10 people to do 10 different jobs, for a tenth of the price.....
it sucks. We're here if you need us!