chronic diahrea

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster cat has chronic diahrea. The vet said it seems like a food allergy so put him on Science Diet z/d. He doesnt like it and the little bit that he eats, he still has runny stool. I read on the internet about an all wet food diet that is grain free for cats with these types of problems. Does anyone have any advice for me? Parasites have been ruled out also.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharky knows a lot about food and should be along fairly soon to help you out.

Even if it's a food allergy that doesn't rule out a lot of good foods. I have a friend whose cat is allergic to chicken so she ensures she feeds only beef, lamb of duck products. Might be good to try to find out the allergy first and treat it second.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello

How old is the kitty in question??? Did you mix foods to get kitty used to Z/D?? What did kitty eat before Z/D?? What tests have been done?? ie stool sample urine blood??

Grain free can work but I am wondering what other than allergies it is ... I have one with severe allergies( never direa ) and two with mild

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes about 1 year old. They did a stool sample and it was normal with no parasites. I was feeding him Nutro dry food and some canned. He had diahrea since I got him a month ago. We thought it was the wet food, so we only fed dry and that didnt work, so I took him to the vet. He was put on an anti inflamatory and bland wet food. that didnt work so I got science diet sensitive stomach food and that didnt work. So I called the vet back and she said it sounded like some kind of food allergy and gave him panacur and z/d which he wouldnt eat unless it was mixed with something,So that didnt work. I was told to give him some yogurt to reverse the bacteria in his stomach so I just tried that and I ordered some grain free wet food and Im going to try that. He is actually getting adopted by a couple next month and I would like him to be over this so they know what to feed him and dont have to spend hundreds in vet bills

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natures prarie make s a grain free called Raw instict

www.naturesvariety.com

innova s evo is grain free

personally I would try natural balences venison and pea first ( easier to find and made for allergies)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks alot, I will do that!

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the venison and green pea for shadow and she threw it up almost immediately. Then she wouldn't touch it again.

She is having another bout of Diahrea with blood. The vet said she had inflammed intestines. I tried to cut out wheat gluten, she's still sick. Not sure what she's allergic too. Any more suggestions?????

PLEASE??????

Thanks in advance to you all!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenkitty

I tried the venison and green pea for shadow and she threw it up almost immediately. Then she wouldn't touch it again.

She is having another bout of Diahrea with blood. The vet said she had inflammed intestines. I tried to cut out wheat gluten, she's still sick. Not sure what she's allergic too. Any more suggestions?????

PLEASE??????

Thanks in advance to you all!!!!
have you seen a vet???

did you mix the new food with the old??

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are they positive its food allergies? Kirra had chronic diaherra for almost 3 weeks and stool came back neg for parasites, the vet said while it could be food allergies he wanted to try something first, since she had been on this food for awhile now. He gave her a shot of gentamicin than clavamox 2X's a day for 7 days , low fat diet easy diegest dry food and fortafuria(sp) to regrow good bacteria in the tummy. In 4 days she was almost solid stool again, by the 8th day you would never have known she had been sick. She had had a stomache bug basically, he figures she either ate a bad bug(we live in an old mill house) or snuck some old food from the garbage.

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet said that she had food allergies and that her intestines were inflammed after stomach x-rays. He rules out parasites and put her on hills z/d. Unfortunately she still has problems and this has been off and on for years. I've been to two seperate vets for two opinions and I am not getting any answers. They gave her antibiotics and a supressant and a shot of cortisone each time she went in. I am not sure what to do next. I have been searching for better food for her.

Yes, I do mix the two foods however sometimes if Shadow gets sick on a food she won't go near it again. In these cases I have to change the food and stop the old cold turkey or she won't touch it.