Is this normal?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got soft claws for my cats and just finished putting them on. Both cats keep licking their paws. Has anyone elses cats done that when they first got them on? They both look so confused.

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's normal, especially with the first application. They feel "weird" to the cats, so they are trying to groom them off. After a while (some cats an hour, some a few days) this behavior will stop. Although, I try to discourage them from licking their paws for 5 mins after application so the glue will set. Distracting them with toys helps.

When you have to reapply a cap in the future, the licking may return, but I think sometimes it is to get rid of a little glue. It doesn't last very long. Good luck! I've been using soft claws for 3 months and been very happy with the results. Jaden can still play vigorously with her toys and when she "scratches" the couch, or my husbands speakers recently, her paws just roll off the fabric.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably ARE confused - after all its something new, its not what they were born with. I'm sure in a few days they will be fine.

I prefer to just trim the nails and not put anything on them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I prefer to just trim the nails and not put anything on them
I tried that, but they were still scratching everything up.

So far, Zebra has lost one and Milo still has all 10 on.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At first they might manage to get them off really fast. But eventually they will get used to them. Keep replacing them as they come off and eventually they will probably forget all about it. My cat Willoughby has had his on for about 3 months now. They are right at the tip of his paws because I don't even think he is aware they are there. I have had to replace one here and there. But my other cat Kinks continuously takes them all off. She only has two on right now.