Cuddles, the cat I took in to rehome...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meantioned about a month ago about the buff colored tabby I took in from a lady who was getting rid of her because they are moving. They had her for 12 years, since Cuddles was 4 weeks old. Well she never had seen another cat in all of her 12 years. She has been in my bedroom now for over a month maybe. After all this time she finally comes to greet me when I come in. I can give her a few pets on the head but then she freaks and bites, swats with her declawed paws, growls, hisses and turns unpleasent.

She is aware of my cats outside the door. I let them in a few times to get some reactions. She freaks and runs into the closet growling and whining. I do this about every few days, let one of mine in to the room.

Otherwise, Cuddles sleeps, eats and goes to the bathroom perfectly normal. I am figuring she will not be able to be rehomed. I can barely touch her let alone pick her up and move her somewhere. No one wants a cat like her. She would be great with an old lady or man who would leave her alone most of the time. But finding that caring old person with no other pets...

Just want some more thoughts if possible. Do you guys think she will ever learn to like other cats? It is overwhelming to her I am sure, with all of my cats so I just let one or two in at a time. Do you think a cat like this can ever be rehomed? Never with kids or more then one or two people of course. She just can't handle it. Or should we just keep her?

Here is her cute picture...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have taken her in to love her.

She may never be the same as "other' cats, but would you have it any different? In her own way, she knows that you take care of her. She may be wondering where her "mommy" is, and who the heck are you.

Please, give her time. She has spent 12 years alone. She may come around and you will have the ultimate joy of earning her trust.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jen, it has taken how many months now for heyu to get semi used to eazy.
She attacked him several times when he got out of room. i still have to put eazy in a room sometimes.

I agree you are being to hard on your self. I would give the cat more time to get used to the others,

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how the owner just decided to get rid of her cat after 12 years!!! I never understood this and never will.

You are being too hard on yourself. It takes time for her to get use to her new environment. You have a lot of love for her so please be patience and she will soon show her love for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Funny because now reading back, I realize that I answer posts like this all the time. I know it takes time, I just needed some reassurance I guess. Poor Cuddles. I guess I have cat number 8 now.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, she's in a strange place, stuck in one strange room, and on top of it, you let the other cats into that space. Of course, she's going to go nuts. Why not put the other cats into a 3rd room, allow her out for a change (an hour at a time) to feel she has a right to the other space as well, and get her scent mingled with theirs, which will make the transition a lot easier. And maybe don't let the others into her 'safe' place for now til she's feeling more at home and less 'attacked'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

You know, she's in a strange place, stuck in one strange room, and on top of it, you let the other cats into that space. Of course, she's going to go nuts. Why not put the other cats into a 3rd room, allow her out for a change (an hour at a time) to feel she has a right to the other space as well, and get her scent mingled with theirs, which will make the transition a lot easier. And maybe don't let the others into her 'safe' place for now til she's feeling more at home and less 'attacked'.
Ok I won't let the others in for awhile. I haven't done that in a few days anyway. I have tried putting the other cats away and left the door open for her to get out. She shows no interest in leaving, she will go peek into the hallway and then just go back to the bed and lay down, or she takes my chair the second I get up. I will try again tonite to to see if she wants to come out. My boyfriend is leaving for the night so I will stick the cats in his room with a litterbox and see if she will ome out at all. Thanks.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I can't believe how the owner just decided to get rid of her cat after 12 years!!! I never understood this and never will.
I know what you mean. I swore that I would rather be homeless then be without my mikey! And if I was homeless he would be right there with me...inside a little bag on my hip with his head hanging out waiting for a meal. HA! thats love people!!!

just keep giving this kitty love and attention...she will see you have good intentions and who knows maybe the kitty will warm up to ya! OR maybe she is playing hard to get. maybe by ignoring her she will relax more?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like my Pearl. Pearl was rescued from an abusive home, ran into the closet and has spent most of her life hiding. She is just now beginning to be a real love bug towards me and SO, and has taken to it with a vengeance. She is staying on the bed with the other cats now, but still hissing and growling a little. It has taken 6 years to get her to this point. We decided she could live out her life in a closet if she wants to. She has done things on her terms, and she seems perfectly happy. She has food and a home, which is more than many cats have. I think you should keep her and just let her do things her own way. I commend you for taking in this old gal. She sure is cute!

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a feral kitten Juno who is about 8 mo. old. She spent the first 5 mo. hiding in bushes. Her mom would put her and her siblings there. My daughter fed them. Juno was the last to be trapped, she has been spayed, saw the vet, dewormed etc. She has accepted me but whenever anyone comes into the house she runs and hides just like her mom taught her. She will let me pet her but only in the bathroom. When I first get up I have to spend about 10 min. on the throne petting her. When I've had enough I go into my room to get dressed for work she will follow but hides under the dresser. If I put out a hand to pet her she runs and hides. The B.R. is her safe haven. However, 3 times in the past month she has come and sat on my lap while I was watching TV. You need to be patient, your kitty will come around. She really is accepting you already. We need to trap the mom who is still living outside. The plan is for TNR. I am so grateful Juno has a home, food and love even on her own terms.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that you could look for a home for Cuddles, but don't get your hopes up! If you are looking & open to re-homing her, then you just might find someone willing to take her. You would have to be 100% honest about the swatting/hissing & maybe look for an only pet home.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It definitely doesn't hurt to try looking for another home for her, but given the situation, you're probably right in thinking that few people would want a cat like that when they have cuddly kittens all around them
. I agree with those who say you are doing a great job. If you can afford another cat, I think it would be great if you could keep her in your home. Even if it takes years for her to adjust or it never happens, I think she is better off with you in a warm home with food, compared to the likely alternative. You don't seem like the type of person to give up, so I hope it works out really well. She is such a cute cat.

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 13 year old cat last July that looks just like your 12 year old. She would randomly swat at us and my other older cat. I put a few felliways around the house and she has been a lot better. It has taken her about 6 months to change. I think you need to give the kitty a little bit more time to change and maybe try some felliway in the room she is in.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meower

I adopted a 13 year old cat last July that looks just like your 12 year old. She would randomly swat at us and my other older cat. I put a few felliways around the house and she has been a lot better. It has taken her about 6 months to change. I think you need to give the kitty a little bit more time to change and maybe try some felliway in the room she is in.
I'm sorry, but don't know what a felliway is. Please educate me.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I mentioned about a month ago about the buff colored tabby I took in from a lady who was getting rid of her because they are moving. They had her for 12 years, since Cuddles was 4 weeks old. Well she never had seen another cat in all of her 12 years. She has been in my bedroom now for over a month maybe. After all this time she finally comes to greet me when I come in. I can give her a few pets on the head but then she freaks and bites, swats with her declawed paws, growls, hisses and turns unpleasant.

She is aware of my cats outside the door. I let them in a few times to get some reactions. She freaks and runs into the closet growling and whining. I do this about every few days, let one of mine in to the room.

Otherwise, Cuddles sleeps, eats and goes to the bathroom perfectly normal. I am figuring she will not be able to be rehomed. I can barely touch her let alone pick her up and move her somewhere. No one wants a cat like her. She would be great with an old lady or man who would leave her alone most of the time. But finding that caring old person with no other pets...

Just want some more thoughts if possible. Do you guys think she will ever learn to like other cats? It is overwhelming to her I am sure, with all of my cats so I just let one or two in at a time. Do you think a cat like this can ever be rehomed? Never with kids or more then one or two people of course. She just can't handle it. Or should we just keep her?
Your Cuddles sounds very much like my Monique. Actually, when I started reading this I remembered I had to go let her out of the cage from her time out for beating up on the other cats.

Monique is not so old, but I suspect some of her behavior problems are from having been declawed. The fact that she is declawed has given me the excuse of giving her extra leeway when she starts with her swatting because she really doesn't do any damage to the other cats other than to cause them to give her wide berth.

Monique hates to be picked up, does not like to be held, but will come lay on my chest at bedtime and purr and mix and kiss on me till I have to make her stop.
She too, will come into the bathroom when I'm in there, sit on the sink cabinet beside me and kiss me on the cheek or forehead. I am only allowed to pet her a little bit though and she will start getting growly and let me know that's enough.

I rather suspect that Cuddles may have been the same "growly, swatty" way with her original owner and that's why she decided moving was an opportune time to dump her. We all know some people don't feel a strong responsibility for dealing with the problems they created in the first place.

I had thought more than once that Monique would be happier if she were with someone in an only cat situation. However; she has been with me for a year and a half now, (I got her from a rescuer), and I've thought about it in a couple of different ways.

Would it be fair to uproot her from what she is now used to? I'd never be sure if someone did take her that she was getting the love and acceptance she needed for a happy comfortable life. I know that sounds slightly paranoid of me, but since she has "issues", I believe it's a reality I should consider, as should you.

As far as her interacting with your other cats, she would probably be much like Monique. She would be the intimidater rather than the other way around. The only one in this house that chases Monique is Magic and he came from the same rescuer. (I always thought it was strange how both cats from the same rescuer have such a high and mighty attitude.) Lately I've been giving her time-outs for her cussedness because I think she's rather taking advantage of how she's always been able to do as she pleases.

I tell ya, these cats are way more spoiled than my kids were ever allowed to be!

Some might disagree, but I truly believe that the behavior issues with Monique and probably with Cuddles is related to the declaw.

It sounds to me like Cuddles will come around and be somewhat cuddly with you eventually.