Puky or Poopy?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I have an issue which I don't think is critical but rather confusing.
My Singa usually always throws up her wet food (Fussy Cat and Tiki Cat), cause she gobbles it down too quickly (It's her favorite). It doesn't really worry me, she has always puked in between and it seems normal when she finishes a small can in probably less than 2 minutes. I have started putting a big spoon into the bowl so she has to eat around it and can't inhale the food as quickly, but obviously it doesn't always work as she still manages to eat fast and puke it up again in a big blob.

So now she didn't poop for the last 3 days, then after eating wet food yesterday evening, she finally pooped. I was content
and went to bed. This morning I again found some undigested food on the dining room floor.

Now here is the weird thing. It looked like puke, but it was in a very thin sausage like shape. actually quite some lines of puke. So basically the shape of poop but in the consitency of puke.

Has anyone experienced this before???

Appreciate any comments!!!

PS. Singa visited the vet last week Thursday for her annual shots and deworm tablet (Don't know if this could be of influence)

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By no means am I quilified to give you a diagnosis, but was it possibly a hairball? My one cat has problems with digesting them and can become backed up. and when he was backed up he would throw up alot....as it came out in logs. (most likely because the hairball blockage)
Tha's all I can think of, but other members might know more! good luck with your baby! I think a visit to the vet may be the best thing!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if something is abnormal and i loved my kitty, i'd just take him/her to the vet to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ GirlSetsFiyah:
Yes it is log-like, but will I see the hairball? Because there was no hair in it. Or will it still be stuck inside? Actually it is a 100% rule that she pukes when she eats the wet food (Tuna, Mackerel and other she loves!) to quickly, so I don't think that she is choking up hair... but I really have no experience with hairballs at all.

@ Renovia:
I am going on a Business Trip today and won't be back till this weekend. I'll have it monitored by my BF but of course will take her to the vet if some thing is really wrong... but for now it just seems weird, not wrong... I mean she herself is still the same and doesn't show signs of being ill....

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just called the vet and he said not to worry. The tube like vomit has something to do with excessive saliva coming out?! Din't quite get that reason tho...
He said I should call in again if Singa shows symptoms like sneezing, diarreah, coughing etc.

If anyone has experience with deformed vomit like that I would still be happy to hear about it tho!

Thanks!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats have done that on occasion. Usually I can see hair in so I thought it might be a weird sort of hairball. Since they do it infrequently and don't have any other symptoms of illness I never asked the vet about it.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are gobblers and this means they swallow large quantities of air when they eat. Try elevating her food bowl, also feed on a plate instead of in a bowl and spread the kibble out over a wider area (cookie sheets are great for this). Also don't free feed, don't leave the feed down over 20 minutes and remove the water away from the feed bowl- put it some distance away-

Good luck

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh that explains what I found on the floor this morning next to the food bowl. I actually thought he'd pawed food out of his bowl and somehow managed to roll it into a tube shape playing with it (I have quite an imagination
) but it must have been puke. I am still quite a novice when it comes to cat vomit, Radar doesn't do it that often. I will keep an eye on him make sure it's not happening too regularly, he does wolf his food down sometimes though!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Cats are gobblers and this means they swallow large quantities of air when they eat. Try elevating her food bowl, also feed on a plate instead of in a bowl and spread the kibble out over a wider area (cookie sheets are great for this). Also don't free feed, don't leave the feed down over 20 minutes and remove the water away from the feed bowl- put it some distance away-

Good luck
Hi Hissy!
Thanks for the tips. What do you mean with not leaving feed down over 20 min? You mean I should throw the rest away? One prob is she won't eat any kept food (that's why I only by these one serving small cans) I actually always left the food in the bowl. She will usually eat it in steps (unless for some particular reason her eyes are bigger than her stomache when it comes to her favorite flavor)

Anyhow, thanks for all the answers!
But I think I have found a solution already. I used to just put everything in a bowl with out 'mashing' it. Since I started doing that she hasn't puked yet.

But still I have no expanation for the roll-look of the puke tho

Any ideas?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be just the shape the food took as it came up her esophagus. My kitties sometimes vomit like that... I was rather disturbed the first time too!

tikicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aloha, Greetings!

I saw your cute kitty Singa and your comments about Tiki Cat food. I am the owner of Petropics and the manufacturer of Tiki Cat Premium Wild Caught Seafood. It is human grade and you can eat it out of the cat yourself (I have sampled it for freshness and taste throughout the development of the line).

I have heard of cats that eat way too fast, as though they haven't eaten in weeks. I would definately recommend serving a spoonful at a time to slow down the eating process to see if this helps.

I would be curious to hear if the problem goes away since you have taken Singa to the vet and it her health has checked out.

Thank you for your support and for mentioning Tiki Cat Food!!

Be well, Christine