Puff's Near Death Experience

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all he's OK. But I would have lost Puff today if my mother hadn't been here. Somehow he got his lower jaw under his collar and got it stuck. Mom couldn't pull it off or unbuckle it so she just cut it off. If she hadn't been here Puff may have broke his jaw or something. So thank goodness for my mother's quick thinking!

So that means No more collars for Puff. When I take him to the vet in a month or so I'm going to ask for the chip. I've never had a cat be bothered by a collar. But first it was a harness he didn't like, now a collar. The collar was discolored in one area so I think Puff my be either allergic or just irritated by nylon.

Anyway, just wanted to share. He's OK now though. He did bite my mom but he was scared.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I am very happy that Puff is OK! This also reinforces one of the two things that I swore to before I got Persi; never let him outside and never put a collar on him.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Puff is OK. How scary!! We put a collar on a cat once and that is EXACTLY what happened to him. That was the days before breakaway collars, which I understand are safer. But we still haven't used collars since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually this IS a breakaway collar. But it never broke away.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that Puff is OK. I have seen that happen to some of my own cats. No one wears a collar.

By the way is Mom OK?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I am so glad that Puff is OK. I have seen that happen to some of my own cats. No one wears a collar.

By the way is Mom OK?
lol. Yes mom's ok but she's milkin it for all she can get.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhh poor Puff. I had something similar happen to one of mine, too. SO no collars here either.

Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

lol. Yes mom's ok but she's milkin it for all she can get.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad your mom was there, and that your Puff is all right!

This happened to my kitty once (many years ago), and the vet said I was too kind, and had the collar too loose. She said you should be able to get one finger between the collar and the kitty. I think she was right, because I can't do it tighter than two fingers. I haven't had it happen again.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I'm so glad your mom was there, and that your Puff is all right!

This happened to my kitty once (many years ago), and the vet said I was too kind, and had the collar too loose. She said you should be able to get one finger between the collar and the kitty. I think she was right, because I can't do it tighter than two fingers. I haven't had it happen again.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I've always been told two fingers.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

She probably knew I would do it looser than she said!
lol. Yep doctors are well known for the reverse psychology technique.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that Puff is okay and that your Mom was there and able to act quickly.

The same thing happened to Maggie when she was about 4 years old, trust me she lived the rest of her almost 19 years without a collar.
The four we have now don't have collars and they never will, I just won't take the chance.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that everyone (mum included!) came out of this ok! Collars terrify me, Radar is a really goofy cat (but also highly intelligent in a lot of ways, think 'geek cat'
) and I don't have a collar on him because if he can get into a pickle in any way he almost certainly will.

He is microchipped and we have strict door control meaning that when we are home there are 2 doors between cat and outside, and when we are out 3 doors between the cat and outside (we have the luxury of having a large internal space where he can be when we're out without any danger of him darting out of the door when we come in, I was brought up with 'door control' from an early age cos we always had budgies on the loose as a kid).

So no collars here, it would be a nice idea but if Radar can get in a sticky situation he will, I can't see him taking to a collar at all!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Thank god he's okay..

The collar was just too loose...that happens if its too loose
The collar was fit exactly how my vet suggests which is two fingers fit snuggly in it. I've always done that with previous cats and have never had a problem. To be honest I think collars irritate him. With the harness he had before he'd always bite at it. He did that so much that he pulled his back hair out. Now with the collar he couldn't get hold of it till he got his paw in it to push it out and into his mouth. He's a determined little bugger.