Woman Career Quiz! No right or wrong answer.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Say you work at a company that has a live receptionist. She's going to lunch or on vacation and no one else is around to take the phone calls except you, another woman and the rest of the men in the company.

The female co-worker is answering the phones all day. She needs to take a lunch. The management approaches you and asks to you to answer phones during her lunch. You ask if there is anyone else available (maybe you're meeting a friend for lunch), but they tell you that the prefer a woman to answer the phones since they have nicer sounding voices.

Do you cancel lunch with your friend and cover the phones or refuse to answer the phones?

Umm...and lets make it tricky, they say your female coworker can wait for her lunch until you get back from yours and if you can cover.

There are no right or wrong answers. This did not happen to me (but does reflect the question of ethics at my place of work). I'm curious what others would do.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest taking over after your lunch

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I get irritated when women are chosen for tasks that seem "remedial," I can understand the point of the company. Companies and employers tend to hire people based on appearance and etiquette, and asking for a woman to answer the phones because of voice presence isn't too far from that same way of thinking.

I had a manager once that would always ask me to work a booth at events for our organization, because I presented myself better and more attractively than my coworkers. I could have taken offense to that, but most people would agree that they would rather be approached by someone well groomed than someone who looked like they threw on what they could find on the floor that morning.

Now, as for your question...if I had a set date with a friend, I would make sure that the coworker was 100% comfortable with waiting, and then cover the phones for her once I was back. I would also make sure to keep the lunch to the allotted time and not take an extra long lunch.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we used to have a male answering the phones here, and he would TRY and screw things up so people would stop calling.
He would screw up transferring calls, instead of going on hold you'd get hung up on, etc. Now the "girls" answer the phones.

They don't ask me to, thank goodness. I'l probably have to find another job. I don't have the patience for reception.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would suggest taking over after your lunch
I would too, but I would be prepared to cancel my lunch if it really was an issue (unless the friend was visiting and the time couldn't be rearranged).

The boss probably would get a lecture on post-modern gender relations, though, regardless of whether I thought my collegues were particularly bad choices, because I can't help myself. If there was a good alternative co-worker, I might specifically suggest him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've told them no in the past. 1) I don't know how to work the phones and 2)I'm not always a nice person on the phone.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd use the excuse that no one understands my accent! I doubt I'd ever be asked anyways, 'cos I have a quiet voice and an accent although in this country that really shouldn't be a big deal.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let them know that you had lunch plans and ask if it is possible for the regular person to take a later lunch.

Technically speeking you are doing them a favor and you can't stop your life just because of work.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'm a receptionist and my switchboard goes onto an answering machine for my 30 minute lunch so i havent got that problem
your lucky Susan! I got stuck being the receptionist in addition to my 100 other hats, and I tried taking a lunch, and having someone cover the phones, but they'd end up needing ME anyway, and I was getting 10 interuptions, so now I just eat at my desk and leave earlier. We don't have a machine for our phone.....

To answer the ?, if I was asked to cover and had plans, I'd say I'm so sorry, I would but I have plans, if they asked me to cover later, I would willingly. I sorta feel like I get paid from 8-4, the same amt. So I'll do pretty much whatever they want from 8-4, don't call me after that & don't ask me to stay, but from 8-4 I'm yours!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I'd help out, no big deal. If I didn't feel that way, I'd be looking for another job.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I agree, if i didn't have any plans for my lunch, i would cover for my friend and then take my break when she gets back. / I really don't think it matters if a guy answers the phone or a woman...i really don't think it should be made into a gender issue along with everything else
But to help out a friend, reguardless of gender, i wouldn't mind

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if your boss asks you to do something, if you value your job, you do it and don't give him a lot of lip. Maybe he has had problems with males and their telephone skills in the past which is why he is asking you! I would try to work it out with the person answering the phones so that you can still go to lunch with your friend and yet both of you get a lunch - just work it out to a mutual agreement. You are then seen as a team player rather and looked upon more favourably than if you gave him a hard time! This could definitely serve you well for future opportunities climbing up that ladder!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally??? i've was really burned and taken advantage of at my last job. I normally don't mind helping out, but after my last i know it will hinder my career here, but i just can't.

It was a valid I gave them an inch and they walked all over me.Really.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

.... but they tell you that the prefer a woman to answer the phones since they have nicer sounding voices......
I don't know about the laws where you are, but here that is viewed as sexual discrimination.