spraying issues....please any advice!!!!

lady66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 cats, 4 girls and one boy. All of them are fixed. The boy cat likes to spray the wall when he is using the kitty pan and I dont think it is a good idea to yell at him when he is in the kitty pan, might confuse him.

My one kitty pan was in the laundry room and the laundry room started to smell and I saw my one girl cat spraying in there. She has done this many times, in my old house she would spray in the dining room or in the game room, at least here its tile.

I dont know what to do besides yell at her. I dont know what to do about the boy cat spraying the wall either. I could use any advice, I will seriously try everything and anything!!! Thank you!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

First make sure they are no health issues and there are enough litterboxes for every cat (1/1 usually).
All my 11 cats are fixed and sometimes I catch the older ones spray. It isn't very often and I only am aware when things start to get stinky
. It usually happens when they smell something strange like maybe a stray passed by and rubbed against the wall or window. Or I brought the strange scent home on my pants or purse and transferred it to the chair or whatever. My Joji though, especially during New Year's eve when the firecrackers go off, she gets super stressed and if she can't find a hiding place she will spray.
Finally, it is useless to yell them for spraying. Just clean the area very thoroughly to remove all traces of it.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a few cats who "spray in the box" one is known to have urinary issues(hes a a rx diet but if he gets stressed he starts blocking and then in a reaction to the pain he raises his butt. my other sprayer is his brother who has been cleared on health issues he just has done it since he was 8 weeks old(i hand raised the litter and the two brothers and the sister all are a bit...backwards...lol) So I didn't have to clean pee every day from around the litterbox area I bought a rubbermaid 25 gallon tote and cut a hole in it on the short side and since I have so many cats I left the top off. Casey loves this new box and any spray just hits the rim. few things to try if all are current on vet exam drop off urine samples to rule out urinary infections or the like(I know feeding purina seemed to hurt my cats). If medically clear make sure you have a regualr non scooping litter and a scoopable(if you are using new litter did problem start to get worse then?) also make sure you have enpough boxes in places the cats feel safe to use( acovered box in the corner may make the less dominat cats fearful to use) and make sure to scoop or dump them often

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone sprays in our covered boxes, up the back wall of it. But they don't spray in the regular uncovered ones.
So perhaps you could try a covered box. Maybe a feliway plug in would help in the litterbox room too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i did have a covered litter box but i took the lid off because one of my cats is quite large and she couldnt fit with the lid lol. I have 2 litter boxes, maybe I should get another one? I clean them out a few times a day. I have the same litter I have been using for years. I'm thinking that some of the cats are spraying to show that this or that spot is theirs, so I am thinking of getting a pet repellent or something called Feliway and then spray it in the kitty pan and around and anywhere else my cats have gone.

I know yelling wont do a thing, but I get so mad sometimes!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lady66

i did have a covered litter box but i took the lid off because one of my cats is quite large and she couldnt fit with the lid lol. I have 2 litter boxes, maybe I should get another one? I clean them out a few times a day. I have the same litter I have been using for years. I'm thinking that some of the cats are spraying to show that this or that spot is theirs, so I am thinking of getting a pet repellent or something called Feliway and then spray it in the kitty pan and around and anywhere else my cats have gone.

I know yelling wont do a thing, but I get so mad sometimes!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
I think if you have 5 cats then you need AT LEAST 5 litterboxes, one extra is always recommended too. Also at least as many boxes as cats at the minimum. I have 7 cats and 8 litterboxes in my apartment.

Feliway will either work miracles or do nothing but it is definately worth a try. The spray and plugins too would be a possibility. Plug it into an outlet nearest to where they spray.

Definately don't yell although sometimes you raise your voice and that is okay but don't directly punish the cats because they won't know anything.

Oh and to clean sprayed areas, try Nature's Miracle or Nok-Out.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! Where did you put all those kitty pans? I pefer to keep the kitty pans on the tile floor and I dont have that much tile at all in my house.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could try putting a box or two in your tub. at least if they spray its a very easy clean up.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lady66

thank you! Where did you put all those kitty pans? I pefer to keep the kitty pans on the tile floor and I dont have that much tile at all in my house.
I have 3 in each bathroom - (2 in each tub and 1 on the floor) and 4 in "the cat room"

You can also make your own larger sized covered pan, using a plastic storage tub and cutting a hole in the side.