Premium dry food

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize for repeating this threat but after reading countless of threads talking about cat food, I'm even more confused. My kittens are still on Premium edge kitten food but they will be 1 year old in May so I'm starting to search ahead of time instead of procratinating.

I am indecisive between a couple of brands:
Natural Balance
Chicken soup for the cat lover's soul
Nutro and nutro complete
Felidae

Natural Balance: Since this can be fed to kittens, I tried to mix a little bit of this and premium edge and it seems like Daisy would have loose stool/ diarrhea so I immediately stopped.

Chicken Soup for the cat lover's soul: No idea but some members on here like it. Any particular reason? Result?

Nutro/ nutro complete: I think Daisy is allergic to corn and both nutro has it so I can't take the risk by I keep reading that this is an excellent brand.

Felidae: Recently read about this for sensitive cats but someone mentioned about the result isn't that great.

One thing I read about is having low ash but only Felidae's website disclose the ash%. What about carbs? I can't seem to find it on their website either.

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I apologize for repeating this threat but after reading countless of threads talking about cat food, I'm even more confused. My kittens are still on Premium edge kitten food but they will be 1 year old in May so I'm starting to search ahead of time instead of procratinating.

I am indecisive between a couple of brands:
Natural Balance
Chicken soup for the cat lover's soul
Nutro and nutro complete
Felidae

Natural Balance: Since this can be fed to kittens, I tried to mix a little bit of this and premium edge and it seems like Daisy would have loose stool/ diarrhea so I immediately stopped.That is kinda common with the reg Natural balence

Chicken Soup for the cat lover's soul: No idea but some members on here like it. Any particular reason? Result?Great qualtiy for the price , cats didnt like and dog had Natural balence result

Nutro/ nutro complete: I think Daisy is allergic to corn and both nutro has it so I can't take the risk by I keep reading that this is an excellent brand. It is ... I was told by the accupucturist my girl was allergic to corn so I took her off ... I am retrying by mixing with a corn free

Felidae: Recently read about this for sensitive cats but someone mentioned about the result isn't that great. Regular Felidea reads well and some get great results ... the chn and rice didnt make me happy ( coat condition went down but cat liked the taste

One thing I read about is having low ash but only Felidae's website disclose the ash%. What about carbs? I can't seem to find it on their website either.

Thanks.
I cant remember the ash on CHicken soup or Natural balence ( there not high )

Natural choice is 7
Max cat is 6.5

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my kittens Chicken Soup and I really liked it. Good ingrediants, their fur was beautiful, etc. But Lily was still having gas problems so I switched to California Natural (and she's still having gas problems
). That would be another good brand for you to look into.

My other kitten Eve does very well on both Chicken Soup and California Natural. If Lily wasn't having issues I'd stick with Chicken Soup because it costs less but has the same results.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

I used to feed my kittens Chicken Soup and I really liked it. Good ingrediants, their fur was beautiful, etc. But Lily was still having gas problems so I switched to California Natural (and she's still having gas problems
). That would be another good brand for you to look into.

My other kitten Eve does very well on both Chicken Soup and California Natural. If Lily wasn't having issues I'd stick with Chicken Soup because it costs less but has the same results.
May i suggest a lamb formula..??? nature prarie makes a good one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Correction: They were on the ultra natural balance and Daisy had diarrhea.

I'll try the chicken soup one when I transition them over to see whether they like it. I'm thinking of giving them half dry half wet food since I've been reading about this UTI problem with cats, so I want them to have enough water. Is it possible to mix chicken soup dry with some other nrand of wet or should just feed them one brand of food? I figure, I'd be bored of eating the same food over and over again. hehehe

Thanks.

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<<Nutro/ nutro complete: I think Daisy is allergic to corn and both nutro has it so I can't take the risk by I keep reading that this is an excellent brand. It is ... I was told by the accupucturist my girl was allergic to corn so I took her off ... I am retrying by mixing with a corn free>>

Okay, here we go again with another food question from me!!! I'm sorry!

I thought that corn gluten was different than ground corn, and therefore less likely to cause allergies??? One of our cats also has a sensitive stomach, and we were thinking of switching to Nutro. I wonder if I'll ever figure this out.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I cant remember the ash on CHicken soup or Natural balence ( there not high )

Natural choice is 7
Max cat is 6.5
chicken soup's is 2.5% maximum in their canned - the site didn't list ash for the dry.
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

Correction: They were on the ultra natural balance and Daisy had diarrhea.

I'll try the chicken soup one when I transition them over to see whether they like it. I'm thinking of giving them half dry half wet food since I've been reading about this UTI problem with cats, so I want them to have enough water. Is it possible to mix chicken soup dry with some other nrand of wet or should just feed them one brand of food? I figure, I'd be bored of eating the same food over and over again. hehehe

Thanks.
that's pretty much what i do - they get meow mix wet & chicken soup dry...except when i run out of either & can't get to the store to buy it
so occasionally they get a different thing, but usually the meow mix & chicken soup.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky! I'll keep her on this for a bit longer as it's only been a few weeks, but if she doesn't get better I'll try a lamb formula. She's not too bad right now, just farty as opposed to bloated. But she gets bloated when I switch her food, even with adding probiotics, so I don't want to switch again too quickly.

MamaKitties, I have to stick with one brand of wet/dry because Lily has turned out to be very sensitive. Eve can eat anything and feel fine, so for her extra meal (she gets too skinny on Lily's diet) I often feed her a different brand of wet food such as Meow Mix, Felidae, Chicken Soup, or Natural Life.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are doing very well on Natural Balance venison and green pea right now.