When was your house built?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured this would be an interesting question...

Our house was built in 1971 over an old farm and football field at my father's old elementary school.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The earliest records of this house was in 1900. So its at least 107 years old.
So its really old and small. One of the first houses in this neighborhood.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Late 1990 something. DH was told it was 1999 but it sure looked older! It was reposessed from some people who obviously didn't care. DH painted walls, fixed holes, replaced windows and floor grates...etc. And he bought it in 2001!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Wow. I would love to live in an old house; so much history. When you moved in, did you find any old stuff that previous owners left behind? I think it would be so neat to move into an old house and find antique things hidden in the walls like photographs.

flamingo13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the 50's sometime - so some things are going wrong
(I don't think they "build 'em like they used to"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin's was built in the 90's. Mine and my mom's duplex was built between the 50-60's it's a piece of crap with no insulation

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Wow. I would love to live in an old house; so much history. When you moved in, did you find any old stuff that previous owners left behind? I think it would be so neat to move into an old house and find antique things hidden in the walls like photographs.
Well theres a lot of old stuff in the basement. I dont think they are antiques though. Its a rental and if I remember right the last time it was lived in by a person who actually owned it was in the early 80's so any really cool stuff that might have been in here is long gone.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1956, but remodeled in 1997. Old family farmhouse on 3+ acres. Nothing wrong here, one of the reasons we bought it.

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
last year. LOL completed dec 2005. Unoccupied until we bought it newin July 06

the house in MS though was built in 1970. It was a good old house We loved it and miss it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

We sold our old house last year and we couldn't find records of the actual house prior to 1902 - the land deeds went back to 1847. When we sold it, the realtor looked up the historic tax records for the house and found out it had been built in 1884. This was in Missouri. Go to the county tax department and do some digging there!!

The only thing we found that was old were things around the farm. Old pieces of metal from pots, the barn walls were stamped with "Hallmark" (Hallmark made wood products back then) and not much else. I even had someone come over with a geiger counter one day to check for old items. The area did have a civil war battle and we did find this old metal ball that we thought could be a cannonball, but we were never sure about it.

My current house was built in 1972 and we still have remnants of harvest gold and brown marble in it!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My house was built in 1949. It has features (built-ins, rounded archways between rooms) that you just don't see anymore in houses.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine was built in 1936. It has the arched doorways and built-ins too, which add a lot of character. There been many updates, but it could still use some, especially the kitchen and bathroom. I love it, though - very cozy and lots of charm.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours was built in 1976 on a "sand dune" as a lady who grew up nearby remembers it!! The soil is fairly sandy. Where the veg garden is used to be the ice skating area. We bought the house in Sept of 1987 from the orginal owner.