TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › Well, here we go again....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Well, here we go again....

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
We have a friend at work who retired a week ago. (She still comes into the building every day, I don't know what is the matter with her).

She stopped by again today to pick up her plants, and informed me that there are at least two kittens living in the water drainoff on the closed part of the road next to the El Pueblo Adult Education Center.

I brought my packet of kitten chow and walked over and sure enough, there are at least two kittens there. Someone has been giving them wet food (bless them) and I had dry, so I left some food for them.

I am taking the black plastic tray from a tv dinner and poking holes in the corners up near the lip of the tray, to hopefully tie it to the steel bars that are in the drainoff, so that I can leave some water for them. I will also have some more kitten chow for them tomorrow.

I don't know what to do here. There is no way I can leave a trap for them, it would be stolen in a heartbeat. They won't let me near them yet....I'm hoping that after a week or so of feeding them, they might get used to me and let me catch them. (Yeah, right)

Any ideas? I have to be careful because they are right next to Irvington Road and they WILL get killed if they venture out towards that street.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya View Post
We have a friend at work who retired a week ago. (She still comes into the building every day, I don't know what is the matter with her).

She stopped by again today to pick up her plants, and informed me that there are at least two kittens living in the water drainoff on the closed part of the road next to the El Pueblo Adult Education Center.

I brought my packet of kitten chow and walked over and sure enough, there are at least two kittens there. Someone has been giving them wet food (bless them) and I had dry, so I left some food for them.

I am taking the black plastic tray from a tv dinner and poking holes in the corners up near the lip of the tray, to hopefully tie it to the steel bars that are in the drainoff, so that I can leave some water for them. I will also have some more kitten chow for them tomorrow.

I don't know what to do here. There is no way I can leave a trap for them, it would be stolen in a heartbeat. They won't let me near them yet....I'm hoping that after a week or so of feeding them, they might get used to me and let me catch them. (Yeah, right)

Any ideas? I have to be careful because they are right next to Irvington Road and they WILL get killed if they venture out towards that street.

I would set up the trap with warm, deboned, deskinned KFC and see if you can trap them now.

Katie
post #3 of 12
Maybe you can hide the trap or use a bicycle lock to secure it to something to keep it from being stolen?
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeriedog View Post
Maybe you can hide the trap or use a bicycle lock to secure it to something to keep it from being stolen?
Traps should be removed once the cat is trapped..so I don't see how this would work.

Katie
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1 View Post
Traps should be removed once the cat is trapped..so I don't see how this would work.

Katie
I am certainly no expert on trapping ferals, but was just giving a possible solution to KittenKiya's statement that she thought the traps would be stolen if left where the kittens are. As long as someone were to check the traps every couple of hours, why couldn't the trap be locked onto a fixed object or camoflaged in some manner to prevent theft?
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
The area where the kitties are is wide open. The nearest tree is about 100 feet away.

However, when I dropped food, water and goodies this morning, I tied the plastic fluid holders to the stanchions (sp) in the grate. I am wondering if I could somehow lock the trap to the stanchions.....hummmm....need to think about this.

I did not see the kitties this morning, but they have a feast today. I got the food down onto the inside lip of the drainoff so that no one else can get at the food except them. The water and stuff I don't care about, I can refill them later this morning.

I hope those babies wake up this morning and think they are in heaven.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Checked on the food situation later. The chicken was gone, so was the milk. They left the regular cat food and water for this afternoon.

Who says feral's are stupid????? They know a good thing when they get it.
post #8 of 12
yay, glad to hear they're eating, any more updates?
post #9 of 12
Can you contact a rescue group or have a friend to help you trapping them? With a street nearby it is urgent you catch them soon..I don't mean to discourage you but depending on the kitten it is iffy that they'll get friendler in time so don't count on it (ack I can't stand what I'm saying) I've caught kittens when they're dying after I waited and waited hoping to 'develop a friendship' and meanwhile they picked up a disease. Did not wait one sec for their siblings and tho they're not as sick and the wildest I kept trying until I got them and into vetting, now I'm fostering them.
People would steal traps here too so I set it, wait nearby, catch cat (or if not pick up trap and try again next time)
Keep us updated and bless you for taking care of these angels
post #10 of 12
Janet, that's a wonderful thing you are doing. I agree, if you can lock the cage to something that would be best.........I've got my fingers crossed you can catch these little lovebugs before anything happens to them....what do they look like?
post #11 of 12
How's it going with the kittens? Were you able to trap them? Or... have you maybe figured out a way to go about it yet?

I know you'll figure out a way to help and do it right - you always do.

Laurie
post #12 of 12
I don't have any suggestions as I have never trapped one but I sure wish you success. I am so glad they are eating well......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › Well, here we go again....