Do cats self-regulate their eating?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didnt know how to title this.

Smidge has been a huge eater/wolfer since she came to live with me almost two years ago (rescued stray).

About two months ago she suddenly got fussy and not as interested in her dry food as before (and has never been that interested in wet food). She asked for it at the same time and the same way, in all ways her behavior has been normal, except for this sudden fussiness, and no food change for over a year.

I was doing the California Natural transistion right after this behavior started, and she seemed more excited about Cat Nat instead of her Royal Canin.

Well now she is back to not being as "hungry" as before, although asks for it a lot, but just stares at her bowl and walks away.

Soo....all her behaviors are the same except for this eating thing. DO cats actually change in their routine like this? I'm mostly worried that she could be undereating which could be dangerous. SO far, she does appear a bit leaner.

Cat Nat has more protein which is why I switched...could it be simply she is more satisfied than before?

Thank you!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have dental problems, so get that checked out (and anything else the vet checks at the same time).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do, but more don't - IMO its better to feed a certain amount to an adult cat that is neutered/spayed. Better to keep them at a good weight then to free feed and have a fat cat that you have to put on a diet!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Cat Nat has more protein which is why I switched...could it be simply she is more satisfied than before?
I think you hit the nail on the head.

I'm not an expert by far, but I've read countless times on this site those that I do consider experts say that when you switch your cat to a higher grade of food they will often eat noticably less. Reason being is that since this food has less fillers and by products and more "good stuff" they are getting all the nutrients their body needs in a smaller amount of food.

She's probably stillasking for her bowl and sitting in front of it more because its routine at this point. She'll work out a new schedule in time.

I would think that removing extra fillers would also make a cat drop some weight too, of course if it gets out of hand I would consult your vet.

Always go with your instinct too. If something doesn't feel right, off to the vet you go.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, higher quality food has less additives and is more filling, they will eat less. Also begging for food is a way of asking for attention, we feed them so they got our attention. Just watch her weight and as long as she maintains a healthy weight, your good!