Fancy Feast Addiction and other questions

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mother watched my 9 month old cat when I went on vacation -- he was eating Nutro kitten dry and Nutro kitten wet.

Well, she declared he didn't like my wet food (since he would eat only a couple of tablespoons of it) and bought him fish flavors of FF. He scarfs it down. Other than being expensive (more then Nutro) -- how bad is FF wet?

Since he definatley prefers fish flavors over chicken (and Nutro only makes one kitten food that is fish) -- I was thinking of trying Authority canned kitten food since it is around the same price.

How important is it that he eat "kitten" versions of canned food? Why have some people said that you should avoid feeding your cats fish flavored food?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ONLY wet my Ginger will eat is Tuna & Shrimp Meow Mix and Fancy Feast.

I give her Nutro dry.

I'd rather have her eating SOME wet food than none at all, although from what I understand, fish has a more negative impact on male cats than female.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

The ONLY wet my Ginger will eat is Tuna & Shrimp Meow Mix and Fancy Feast.

I give her Nutro dry.

I'd rather have her eating SOME wet food than none at all, although from what I understand, fish has a more negative impact on male cats than female.
fish can be trouble for both genders... but only if they are predisposed

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki eats Nutrience dry and Jacob MediCal Preventive dry but the only wet they will eat is Fancy Feast grilled chicken and grilled beef. They share a small tin for breakfast and eat dry the rest of the time. They won't touch any other wet food and are satisfied with sharing the can each morning (but heaven help me if I sleep in - they wake me up wanting their brekkie). Anyway, both of them are healthy other than Loki's asthma. Jacob did have a UTI when he was little, which is why he has the special dry food from the vet, but he has had no further problems, even eating the Fancy Feast.

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty likes Tuna or Turkey "Marinated Morsels" of Fancy Feast. Her favorite wet food is actually the FF Medleys, but I discovered she's allergic to that particular kind. She has huge itching and scratching fits if she eats it. The regular FF seems to be fine for her. She eats dry Science Diet more than any wet food. I tried her on the wet Science Diet first, but she'd just turn her nose up at it.

mytoys2u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet what he thinks of Fancy Feast moist since all my babies love it.

My vet is a board certified feline vet (not very many of those around) and has an awesome resume.

He said that FF gets a bit of a bad rap by some vets but he thinks it is healthier than some vets try to make out. He said that if my cats love FF, he thinks it is a great choice.

He also said that he considers Friskies a good choice in moist food.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mytoys2u

I asked my vet what he thinks of Fancy Feast moist since all my babies love it.

My vet is a board certified feline vet (not very many of those around) and has an awesome resume.

He said that FF gets a bit of a bad rap by some vets but he thinks it is healthier than some vets try to make out. He said that if my cats love FF, he thinks it is a great choice.

He also said that he considers Friskies a good choice in moist food.
I don't think FF will kill your cat, but even though your vet is a certified feline vet, it seems his nutritional training is lacking. Our vet told me that she has more cats with crystals that eat FF than any other food and the knowledge I've gained on this site seems to confirm that FF isn't as good as some of the lower priced foods. As for your vet, as long as his medical knowledge is excellent though, food research is easy enough to do ourselves.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I don't think FF will kill your cat, but even though your vet is a certified feline vet, it seems his nutritional training is lacking. Our vet told me that she has more cats with crystals that eat FF than any other food and the knowledge I've gained on this site seems to confirm that FF isn't as good as some of the lower priced foods. As for your vet, as long as his medical knowledge is excellent though, food research is easy enough to do ourselves.
My vet who has done the nutritional education ... explained it this way ... IT HAS real meat and thus thinks it is better than some with way more "fillers" .. she did say it is not a great food but if it is what kitty will eat it is okay...this is a vet that advocates raw and homemade diets before rxs

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty will only eat Fancy Feast wet (fish, chicken and beef only, and only if the "gourmet feast" kind - no grilled, sliced, chunks, gravy, aspic or that new green can stuff). She also only eats Friskies dry ocean fish flavor.

The cheapest place I have found FF cans is Walmart @ $.42/can. But I HATE SHOPPING AT WALMART! Recently I found I can buy FF at PetSmart for $.43 a can with their "Pet Perks" card. So for a penny a can more, I'll take PetSmart!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Dusty will only eat Fancy Feast wet (fish, chicken and beef only, and only if the "gourmet feast" kind - no grilled, sliced, chunks, gravy, aspic or that new green can stuff). She also only eats Friskies dry ocean fish flavor.

The cheapest place I have found FF cans is Walmart @ $.42/can. But I HATE SHOPPING AT WALMART! Recently I found I can buy FF at PetSmart for $.43 a can with their "Pet Perks" card. So for a penny a can more, I'll take PetSmart!
Have you tried to get a higher quality dry???

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have you tried to get a higher quality dry???
No, but I'm willing to try something else. Dusty is very picky, but she does love fish, chicken and beef - no turkey and no innards! Any suggestions? We are working on a 5 lb bag right now, so will try anything that is recommended and comes in small quantities. I just hate to throw it away.

mytoys2u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Yep, his medical knowledge and creditentials are awesome. His degree is a: Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Feline Specialty

and his professional affiliations include:

American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
American Veterinary Medical Association
Texas Veterinary Medical Association
Cornell Feline Health Center
American Association of Feline Practitioners
Veterinary Information Network
Society for Veterinary Medical Ethics
American Animal Hospital Association
Winn Feline Foundation Protocol Review Committee
AVMA Representative to the National Council on Pet Population Control

And his professional services include:

Chair, Feline Welfare Committee, American Association of Feline Practitioners, 2005-2008
Consultant In Feline Medicine: Veterinary Information Network, 1998-present
Credentials Committee Member: American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (feline), 1998-present
Winn Foundation Protocol Review Committee, 1998-present
Animal Welfare Committee (AAFP Representative) of the AVMA, 2001-2007
AVMA Representative of the National Council on Pet Population Control, 2002-2007
Past President: Society of Veterinary Medical Ethics, 2002
Board Member: American Association of Feline Practitioners, 1998-2002

For people in the Houston area and want one of the best vets around, I'd highly recommend him. Of course, Houston also has Gulf Coast Vet Clinic which is an incredible facility --- unfortunately, two of my previous kitties were sick enough to have to go there. One for a rare blood disease and the other for cancer. Gulf Coast is a referral only facility (that is, your vet has to refer you to them ... not a "regular" vet clinic).

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

My mother watched my 9 month old cat when I went on vacation -- he was eating Nutro kitten dry and Nutro kitten wet.

Well, she declared he didn't like my wet food (since he would eat only a couple of tablespoons of it) and bought him fish flavors of FF. He scarfs it down. Other than being expensive (more then Nutro) -- how bad is FF wet?

Since he definatley prefers fish flavors over chicken (and Nutro only makes one kitten food that is fish) -- I was thinking of trying Authority canned kitten food since it is around the same price.

How important is it that he eat "kitten" versions of canned food? Why have some people said that you should avoid feeding your cats fish flavored food?
We took our cat to the Vet today concerning his weird reactions to Fancy Feast. (He runs around the apartment acting rather insane. The last time I fed it to him, he ran SIDEWAYS into a wall, looking all crazy eyed and very psychotic).

The vet said it's like feeding your cat a big mac from mcdonalds. Lots of sugar and other bad things.

I would give it as a treat only.